Threadripper at 4GHz with XSPC RayStorm Waterblock @ [H]

Thanks for the Sunday night posts. It is nice to read something new in the Tech world after a long weekend.

It is seeming to me that TR is running pretty close to it's limit and there is not a lot of headroom, even with these binned chips. If I was do to a build now with TR, I would probably run at stock speeds, as it took all of your finesse and skill to get this to 4Ghz. I am sure I would lose patience way too soon to get a good result.

How responsive was the system, when it was pushed to the limit?

How responsive was the system, when it was pushed to the limit?
It was working well, very usable. Actually more usable than most AMD loaded systems I have used in the past.

Thanks for the Sunday night posts. It is nice to read something new in the Tech world after a long weekend.

It is seeming to me that TR is running pretty close to it's limit and there is not a lot of headroom, even with these binned chips. If I was do to a build now with TR, I would probably run at stock speeds, as it took all of your finesse and skill to get this to 4Ghz. I am sure I would lose patience way too soon to get a good result.

4ghz its just a psychological barrier... If you reach 3.8 3.9ghz should be great too and maybe way less voltage and heat.

It's funny that almost all of of this architecture CPUs are hitting a wall at around 4ghz...even the ryzen7 with way less cores.

Wonder what is holding them.

Too much transistor cross over talk? It is a lot of power and data going through these tightly packed CPU so I can see can happening. We are just reaching the limits of what we can do with silicon am no engineer so idk!

If there is a will there is a way. I can't believe these things get this hot but it's still a very nice HEDT platform.

4ghz its just a psychological barrier... If you reach 3.8 3.9ghz should be great too and maybe way less voltage and heat.

It's funny that almost all of of this architecture CPUs are hitting a wall at around 4ghz...even the ryzen7 with way less cores.
I agree. Why push a chip past its logical limits just for some minor boosts? A solid 3.7/3.8 all cores is hardly detectable vs. 4GHz, and can be done with standard cooling.
I think the same will be found out on Vega.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I can cool my 3930K passively with 2 sets of 80mm thick 4x120mm radiators. WIth that I should have sufficient cooling capacity for 4.1 with Noctua F's running on low right?

I can cool my 3930K passively with 2 sets of 80mm thick 4x120mm radiators. WIth that I should have sufficient cooling capacity for 4.1 with Noctua F's running on low right?
I was just thinking why is TR so much harder to cool than e.g. a highly OCed 3930k with similar power draw. Smaller die area?

Last edited:
Thanks for putting the work in on this one Kyle. It really shows that having 16 CPU cores is a challenge that real enthusiasts can deal with, but it’s not so much for the amateur.

AMD really could do with a process shrink and some lower voltages. It will be so interesting to see how Intel will do with their monolithic dies. Technically it should be more of a challenge for them, at least if your aiming at 4GHz plus, on all cores.

Another thing for sure, is that cooling companies need new designs, and that may well affect case manufacturers too. We are going to need seriously chunky radiators that may end up needing to be like small car radiators!

Amazing!

Very nice video, straight to the meat, shows off the water block perfectly with straight talk on issues. Anyways I find amazing the CPU processing power that is now available for under (if barely) $1000. A year ago, 8 cores was top end with 10 core being the extreme - looking at Ryzen Master 16 cores of sliders covering the page is awe striking.

78F office! I would roast and sweat. Man get some decent A/C in there Kyle. If you have a window I recommend going to Lowes and buying a Frigidaire :D. Then directing some of that cooler air across that larger water cooler.

Amazing!

Very nice video, straight to the meat, shows off the water block perfectly with straight talk on issues. Anyways I find amazing the CPU processing power that is now available for under (if barely) $1000. A year ago, 8 cores was top end with 10 core being the extreme - looking at Ryzen Master 16 cores of sliders covering the page is awe striking.

78F office! I would roast and sweat. Man get some decent A/C in there Kyle. If you have a window I recommend going to Lowes and buying a Frigidaire :D. Then directing some of that cooler air across that larger water cooler.

lol you'd roast at 78F? maybe the problem isn't his office and more you being a wimp. :p

but yeah ryzen has changed a lot of things.. anything above 4 cores 8 threads was considered unheard of and useless for consumers now you can buy 12 and 16 thread processors for the same price intel's i5/7's were selling for a year ago let alone 32 thread processors or hell even 64 thread processors for a fraction of the price 36-48 thread processors were selling for. it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here over the next few years.

Wonder what is holding them.

Agreed. It's because the process is optimised for lower power - AMD always puts servers first and consumer second. Hence AMD has intel beat in perf/watt right now but you don't hear shit about it, because the large amount of Intel shareholder fanboys here who'd normally make a huge deal about 30W are salty as fuck. OC for OC a damn ryzen 8 core isn't far behind a 7900x at ~3x the price and about ~3x the power usage...
Crickets of course. All they made noise about this time was the segfault issue which is resolved and of course they didn't post a follow up to that, the other issue being muh gaming which has been largely addressed (outside of super high FPS/lower resolution competitive gaming type scenarios which goes to Intel with sheer clock and slightl IPC) with patches to allow higher stable ram frequencies.

If you want the rather childish fixation on 4-5GHz, wait for Zen2, then we can all have our cake and eat it. Intels' slight advantage in per core/single thread/gaming will be practically gone mid-late next year if they keep up the usual 2.5-5% bumps.
I personally don't give two shits if it's 5GHz or 20GHz. Performance, price, power are key for most.

Nice, thanks Kyle!

Any chance of putting the radiator into a 10L bucket of ice and water? I'd like to see how TR does with water temps of 10C or 20C please. :)

One word.......MoRa.................it will cool your house and CPU.

Nice, thanks Kyle!

Any chance of putting the radiator into a 10L bucket of ice and water? I'd like to see how TR does with water temps of 10C or 20C please. :)

I think he uses an old Koollance all in one system....EXOS I think it was called.
You put that into a bucket of ice and you blow the fuse box in your house........

I think he uses an old Koollance all in one system....EXOS I think it was called.
You put that into a bucket of ice and you blow the fuse box in your house........
Yes that is the latest version of the 1055 model Exos, rated at 900w dissipation. Got a new radiator and pump on the way in now.

I had one of those for use on my bench.
It was a nice set up.
I think my pump died and/or the thing started leaking.
At any rate those are pretty stout systems, all there in one nice package.

With fewer cores do you think a 1920x or 1900x may hit higher clocks? Perhaps 4.1 or 4.2 GHz?

Also what do you think about Ryzen Master software, and did you try overclocking higher than 4 GHz in gamer mode with fewer cores?

With fewer cores do you think a 1920x or 1900x may hit higher clocks? Perhaps 4.1 or 4.2 GHz?

Also what do you think about Ryzen Master software, and did you try overclocking higher than 4 GHz in gamer mode with fewer cores?
I did not use the software for anything but another layering of monitoring. Fewer cores....less heat, maybe. The 1950X will POST and load OS at 4.1GHz without issue, but not carry any load.

I did take the 1950X and deactivate 12 cores on it last week, but go no better overclocking on it, but it was with our old block.

So would these settings be recommended for a new build? Assuming water cooling with similar parts... Would your personal setup be OCed to this extent? Or would you dial it back a bit?
Would have to use it for a while to really make that call, but keep in mind I TRIED to break it all day long yesterday, and could not do it. It was loading up using full 16C/32T with over 30GB of RAM usage at 3200MHz. It was rock solid in my opinion. YOu have to be multitasking with multiple multi-threads apps to load it up. :)

I have a MO-RA3 420 PRO!:) which I'm using on rig 3 below. It has 9 140mm XSPC fans that are hooked to a fan controller.

As far as how hard you can push TR, I have the R7-1800x and use P state OCing and my 24/7 limit is 4.05. Running 16 cores/32 threads in TR at 4 Ghz is pumping out some real heat.

Nice article Kyle, the TR seems to be a beast of a CPU running all those programs at 4ghz and doing it whilst being rock solid. There may me a few more MHZ in it yet !!

Nice review, thanks. Despite the advertised 8/18 ship date, I got shafted by EK and will be waiting for another week or two at least. That combined with their lack of interest in supplying Kyle with a review sample, I'll probably just cancel and get one of these.

Fuck you, EKWB.

Nice. Keep up the good work, Kyle.

I too would be curious what would happen with tubing directly to a bucket of ice and water. I bet that ice wouldn't last very long. Could be an interesting mod, see who can mod a Yeti cooler and a case together...

I assume this was with the single slot jet plate? Planning any testing with the alternate 3 slot?

And forget the ice water, time to bust out that drawer of peltiers for some active chilling. Imagine trying to fill these sockets with dielectric like back in he day? :cold:

Last edited:
I assume this was with the single slot jet plate? Planning any testing with the alternate 3 slot?

And forget the ice water, time to bust out that drawer of peltiers for some active chilling. Imagine trying to fill these sockets with dielectric like back in he day? :cold:
Will see how it goes. I have all the data on these and it shows the single 1.65mm I am running to be the best.

Kyle I was able to put 3 of the XSPC RX480 Ver3 radiators in my Thermaltake Core X9 case. I used 12 Gentle Typhon 1850 rpm fans linked in pairs to a Nexus 6 channel fan controller with Dual D5s in a XSPC Twin D5 Bay /Res. Obviously tons of rad capacity to cool my 5960x and GTX1080TI below. Would be plenty of capacity for a TR.

4 x 120mm fans on the radiator? That thing is HUGE. What kind of case could hold such a thing? Or is this not the first 4x120mm radiator that Kyle has ever seen?
Yeah, getting everything together now. Going to take the smaller Koolance out of service finally, it is getting a bit long on the tooth. I have been needing to get the same drybreak fittings on all these units so I can move blocks around more easily and I just bit the bullet to buy all those fittings. Will make testing much easier.

Kyle I was able to put 3 of the XSPC RX480 Ver3 radiators in my Thermaltake Core X9 case. I used 12 Gentle Typhon 1850 rpm fans linked in pairs to a Nexus 6 channel fan controller with Dual D5s in a XSPC Twin D5 Bay /Res. Obviously tons of rad capacity to cool my 5960x and GTX1080TI below. Would be plenty of capacity for a TR.

3 of these monsters? Yikes

Pics of the actual XSPC mounting kit installed.

IMG_20170821_201033.jpg IMG_20170821_201041.jpg

Back