Threadripper at 4GHz with XSPC RayStorm Waterblock @ [H]

4ghz its just a psychological barrier... If you reach 3.8 3.9ghz should be great too and maybe way less voltage and heat.

It's funny that almost all of of this architecture CPUs are hitting a wall at around 4ghz...even the ryzen7 with way less cores.

Wonder what is holding them.

Yeah, I did stupid shit and kept trying for 4GHz. Getting 3.8 was a cinch. Getting 3.9 took a couple hours of tweaking. 4.0 required wasting a shitload of time and pushing the voltage right to the edge of safety. But as Dan said, this is [H]ard shit here. No [L]imp, my dude.

Yeah, I did stupid shit and kept trying for 4GHz. Getting 3.8 was a cinch. Getting 3.9 took a couple hours of tweaking. 4.0 required wasting a shitload of time and pushing the voltage right to the edge of safety. But as Dan said, this is [H]ard shit here. No [L]imp, my dude.
Some tiny epeen around here. I think we should go back to don't ask, don't tell, if we are going to be like that.

This is [H], either reach 4 GHz or blow it up trying :D.

If I blew mine up after all those AMD rants I posted a few months back, I would have to delete my account out of embarrassment.

In all seriousness, though, there is no good reason to have spent so much time trying to get 4 GHz out of this thing when 3.9 would have done fine at much lower voltage. I say no "good" reason. Plenty of [H] reasons, I suppose.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that most people overclock to get cool screenshots/sigs to post online, then quietly back their clocks down afterwards for daily use ;)
Well, not once have I made a beastly initial OC, then after some time got annoyed with the noise and heat and backed down, then after some time after that saw my clocks and thought what the hell is this 90% there shit and proceeded to milk every bit of OC. A bit after that I find myself annoyed with heat and noise and think to myself why stress the CPU with so much voltage...

Thanks for sharing that! I was going to play the video on my phone in th eparking lot later :p

Pretty much the same as my 3930k (currently at 4.6 and 1.44v for the summer) when loaded up in Prime 95, which is pretty cool, as it means if I go down this route, my current cooling should be acceptable.

When I load up both prime 95 AND run Heaven Benchmark (with my overclocked Pascal Titan) it goes up to ~820W but that has to be a very worst case situation. It is stable though!
You could probably do 4.4 with drastically reduced voltage for minimum perfomance loss. Those 3930K like to hit a voltage wall at 4.4-4.5 GHz.

How is the new radiator working out? Any updates? :)
JUST got it in the system finally.

IMG_20170830_191609.jpg

I wish I could keep it neat, but I just switch out SO MUCH hardware so often, I gave up trying to make it look nice 15 years ago.

You could probably do 4.4 with drastically reduced voltage for minimum perfomance loss. Those 3930K like to hit a voltage wall at 4.4-4.5 GHz.

Mine is comfortable at 4.8Ghz and 1.45v in the winter.

It scales pretty linearly with clock.

Back