threadripper and asetek aio coolers

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
GN has a run down of the potential coverage issues with asetek aios. looks like the cold plate barely covers the dies and there is a massive dead zone in the middle. not sure how that's gonna effect cooling but its definitely not ideal. theyll post results later... new aios and hsfs are on the way with bigger contact areas though.

As previously mentioned, there is a liquid cooler bracket included in the processor box. This bracket is intended to make Asetek-based design liquid coolers compatible with the Ryzen Threadripper processor and SocketTR4. The coolers listed below have been tested by AMD and work well with Ryzen Threadripper.
You may notice that the head or block of the thermal solution does not completely cover the integrated heat spreader (also known as processor lid) of the Ryzen Threadripper. This is acceptable because of the
thermal performance of the listed coolers, and the fact that the head covers both silicon chips under the heat spreader. To ensure best performance, please ensure the thermal paste applied to the head spreads evenly and completely across the surface of the head to use the full contact area.

Liquid Coolers:
- Corsair Hydro Series H115i / H100i v2 / H105 / H80iv2
- NZXT Kraken X62 / X61 / X52
- Thermaltake Riing 3.0 RGB 360 / RGB 240 /
- Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate / 3.0 Extreme
- Cryorig A80 / A40 Ultimate / A40
- Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
- EVGA Closed Loop CPU Cooler (CLC) 280

Air Coolers:
- Arctic Freezer 33
- Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
- Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3, NH-U12S TR4-SP3, NH-U9 TR4-SP3

AMD Threadripper and TR4 X399 Motherboard Pre-buy

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (16-core/32-thread) - $999-Amazon - $1000-Newegg
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X (12-core/24-thread) - $799-Amazon - $800-Newegg
And you are going to need a X399 Motherboard as well. (5 X Newegg)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll be using a EVGA CLC 280mm with my 1950x.

I think it's advisable to clean off the preapplied thermal paste from the head of the cooler and then apply thermal paste over the entire contact area on the "block".

In the pic below you can see the pre-applied thermal paste only covers a small area of the contact area.

da2fb47a-fb58-40ca-b1da-a637e41d4e01.png

yup jaystwocents gives give torque specs in his vid. cant remember what it was though...

I've been waiting since January for that fancy Thermaltake AIO cooler to come out.

Kyle, others, I notice that all the listed coolers are all 2x 120 or greater. I am taking it that the thermal performance of the single 120 rads are not high enough? Is this correct thinking?

There's no way a single 120mm rad is cooling a 180w cpu

Might want to tell alienware that, linus has a video up showing the temps hitting 85c in a threadripper system. Because of the design of their case theres really no other option as it can only accommodate 120mm rads. :eek:

Kyle, others, I notice that all the listed coolers are all 2x 120 or greater. I am taking it that the thermal performance of the single 120 rads are not high enough? Is this correct thinking?
I highly doubt it.

I'm pretty sure with how much heat these chips could put out as they approach 4GHz, a single 120mm radiator for cooling would be akin to using only the stock Intel cooler that came with the i7's of yesteryear, i.e. barely adequate for keeping the chip alive and not throttling at stock frequencies.

I'm pretty sure with how much heat these chips could put out as they approach 4GHz, a single 120mm radiator for cooling would be akin to using only the stock Intel cooler that came with the i7's of yesteryear, i.e. barely adequate for keeping the chip alive and not throttling at stock frequencies.

We are a few years down the road but... I actually tested this today. An OEM Asetek 550LC will adequately keep a stock clocked 1920x cooled presuming you run a decent static pressure fan at full RPM.

I can’t see any logical reason to want to do this. I only tested it as my pump in the other cooled went and it will have to last a day or two until I get a replacement however the system isn’t heavily loaded.

Temps were surprisingly not terrible.

Back