Threadripper 3990X Feb 7th

I'm quite sure no one at H is gonna get one.

At that level of cores you're only gonna see production houses and studios make purchases for that platform.

I mean sure anyone can buy one but unless it's making you cash your totally wasting money.

My claim that no one gets one is not based on company or "I bought one for my company's wokstation". I'm saying no normal person on H is gonna go and buy one.

Boards are easily gonna surpass $1200 to 15.

I'd buy one if we won the lottery... Since I don't use my personal machines for work I'd not have a use case that could use more than a fraction of the power it would be capable of though.

Getting a lottery ticket so I can buy one, smash it and post the video here

Eh, if you're going to smash it send it my way so I can, um, benchmark it for you (and not return it, of course). :ROFLMAO:

giphy.gif

At that level of cores you're only gonna see production houses and studios make purchases for that platform.

I mean sure anyone can buy one but unless it's making you cash your totally wasting money.

My claim that no one gets one is not based on company or "I bought one for my company's wokstation". I'm saying no normal person on H is gonna go and buy one.

I can think of a few guys who might get one. It's beyond my realm (means and usage).

I think someone here will get one just to have the biggest peen.

Might be an interesting cooling exercise but that's getting into Dominus territory.

64c is beyond labbing for me, that's pushing my experiments to some old HP Gen7 gear bc.

Arguable whether anyone has workloads that are cpu bound with 0 options to leverage gpus at any phase of workflow.

3990X is kind of slow per core vs 3970X. Not sure how much of a good value it is vs 3970X. I'd rather stick to 3970X which is really fast per core and gets full use of 4 channel RAM on motherboard.
On per core value, for Zen 2, 3600 still best value, and 3700x and 3900x are now equal, and after that it's 3800x, and 3950X very close next, and then the 3970X, a little bit worse, and finally the 3960X, as the worse value per core. All those have desktop speed cores enabled. So 3990X may be even worse value regarding performance.
The 3990X will have something close to laptop -H speed per core because of the limitation on the TDP when 3970X can top that limitation at full desktop speed. Same per core price for much slower cores, and half the RAM bandwidth ability per core. It's been leaked there will be some other chipset taking full advantage of the 3980X and 3990X but on TRX40 chipset it's just limited to 4 channels on RAM.
So the 3990x won't be good for gaming, for sure. Also one would need an application that works fully on all 64 cores and 128 threads st that the 64 cores are used and useful. And the problem is that those application may have an enhanced version to use on OpenCL or CUDA on the GPU by using 1 or more GPUs. Problem is that a GPU like Radeon VII with 16GB HBM2 (professional GPGPU Vega20 is using 32GB) is able to be twice to 4 times as fast on OpenCL as the 3990X, and costs a fraction of the price (it costs less than a 3950X).
So the interest of a 3990X over a 3970X is rather limited. It's a CPU that beats all Intel line on performance and number of cores so Intel loses it's crown everywhere. But interest is rather limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeo
like this
You are writing your data driven workloads to be explicitly threaded, or segmenting them thru vms/containers, in the Enterprise.

I guess in the commercial market you could just throw Octane or Blender at 64c to diff btw 3x V100s.

There's also the cooling exercise thing, just to say you did it.

Probably argue that all office/home vdesktop thing is stupid given $85 AF + $60 B450 + $70-100 gpu whatever.
I think there are still people that going to Horizon or Citrix desktops

As a blender user: This is a significant CPU. On top of that, it probably games -fine- for 120Hz gaming. So it really does everything.

As a blender user: This is a significant CPU. On top of that, it probably games -fine- for 120Hz gaming. So it really does everything.

If you can justify the expense for blender. My 2080ti can DESTROY my 3960x in Blender. So I dont see the need for a 64 core cpu for blender. Makes no sense.

Max I go is 32 core version its 3000 in Canada and 2200 for 24 core. Probabily close to 6000 in Canada for 64 core.

If you can justify the expense for blender. My 2080ti can DESTROY my 3960x in Blender. So I dont see the need for a 64 core cpu for blender. Makes no sense.

Some scenes are not happy to render on limited VRAM, If you can fit the render data into the card's 11GB it should be fine, but GPU rendering has its limits. I've overflowed my own 12GB Titans (24GB combined, but I don't think Blender pools their VRAM) with some scenes and my 1950X is the only available render engine.

I could see some uses for it, ML/AI on large datasets, coupled with a ton of ram could allow building some models that would otherwise be difficult to train, or would require sampling. Tough to justify as a hobbyist. I had a hard time justifying a 3950, so no way I can go for one of these, but I can't wait to see the performance and see how it starts to push software.

I might buy one in 6 years off Ebay, or whatever the highest performing terminal release chip is for trx40 once I move it from my desktop to server uses.

This is [H], man.

Most are not normal here :D

Reactions: mikeo
like this
I would have guessed 5k but they are probably cranking out the 7nm procs and want to take over a lot of market share while they can.

be sure to count in a custom waterloop for the 3990x ...
aircooling will not be possible with acceptable temps/noise

this adds up another $1000 to the price
but hey this is still way cheaper than a mac pro 2019 .-)

also upgrading a 3970 system to a 3990 later will
probably need a change of cooling / case etc

Last edited:

I can't wait to see cooler roundups on the 3990...

Getting a lottery ticket so I can buy one, smash it and post the video here

If I won powerball, I'd literally shoot one with a .308 and post it on youtube, then buy another to use to make the video.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
This would be great for developer workstations. Cutting build times for large projects pays off quickly.

Previously, getting anywhere near 64 cores required expensive multi-socket solutions that were usually shared among developers. Having a single-socket solution puts this in reach of giving each developer their own 64-core build machine at their desk.

Paying an extra $2K to get a 3990X over a 3970X sounds like a lot, but it's only 1% of the annual, fully-loaded compensation for a software developer these days. If it saves developers 10 minutes per day compiling things, that's like getting an extra week of productivity over the course of a year. Easy upgrade.

As for cooling: I'm not concerned. The per-core power is not linear with clock speed. 3970X cores consume about 13W at full single core speed, but drop to 6W when all cores are active just under 4GHz. Drop the all-core clock speed a little further into the mid to low 3GHz range and you'll get around 3W per core, fitting nicely into the TDP.

So it won't be twice as fast as the 32-core chips, but still 50-70% faster. More cores at slower clockspeeds in fewer sockets translates to better power efficiency, too.

You can even buy a Titan RTX on some Ryzen 2700 build that would be less expensive, and a low end card (like a GTX 1050) to view, and use the Titan and all its 24GB VRAM for compute only, and get much much better performance.

I have the 3990x with a Noctua cooler made for threadripper (Don't recall the model, 14 something) and it keeps it cool. Did several runs of Cinebench R20 and the warmest it got was 76 celsius. Though this is done on stock settings, not overclocked, I would say not bad for an air cooler.

This would be great for developer workstations. Cutting build times for large projects pays off quickly.

Previously, getting anywhere near 64 cores required expensive multi-socket solutions that were usually shared among developers. Having a single-socket solution puts this in reach of giving each developer their own 64-core build machine at their desk.

Paying an extra $2K to get a 3990X over a 3970X sounds like a lot, but it's only 1% of the annual, fully-loaded compensation for a software developer these days. If it saves developers 10 minutes per day compiling things, that's like getting an extra week of productivity over the course of a year. Easy upgrade.

As for cooling: I'm not concerned. The per-core power is not linear with clock speed. 3970X cores consume about 13W at full single core speed, but drop to 6W when all cores are active just under 4GHz. Drop the all-core clock speed a little further into the mid to low 3GHz range and you'll get around 3W per core, fitting nicely into the TDP.

So it won't be twice as fast as the 32-core chips, but still 50-70% faster. More cores at slower clockspeeds in fewer sockets translates to better power efficiency, too.

Too bad this isnt true for Star Citizen. They seem to develop with the power of the awesome Intel Core 2 Duo in 2020.

You underestimate the amount of money and e-peen-ery is on this forum. I bet at least one person gets one.

There are probably people on here using their machines for work instead of games I expect. I am one such person. I am thankful to have found this forum. Lots of really great helpful people here. I am not getting a 3990. It costs too much and doesn't offer enough over the 3970 for the work I do. But if I had lots of money I probably would have gotten the 3990 anyway just for the increased rendering power.
Cooling the the 3rd gen Threadrippers is somewhat of a issue since almost no one makes proper cooling for them yet

Back