Threadripper 3000, who bought it?

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
As title.
Is there someone who bought the TR3000 and want to share it's opinion on the CPU?

Is it stable? Is it good?

Is it good?
LoL They have created new standards for what we base "good" off of.

There's always new stuff to do, so yeah?

TR 3000 is really the first 'good' Threadripper, now that NUMA is out of the way (still on Epyc where it makes sense) and cache sizes are up and mitigating the increased memory latency inherent with AMDs Zen technology.

Really the only problem is that they didn't produce a version with fewer cores and a lower price, but if you need the cores and can pay the price, you're set.

There's always new stuff to do, so yeah?

TR 3000 is really the first 'good' Threadripper, now that NUMA is out of the way (still on Epyc where it makes sense) and cache sizes are up and mitigating the increased memory latency inherent with AMDs Zen technology.

Really the only problem is that they didn't produce a version with fewer cores and a lower price, but if you need the cores and can pay the price, you're set.
With a 12 and 16 core Ryzen, the market for a smaller core count Threadripper would be very small.

With a 12 and 16 core Ryzen, the market for a smaller core count Threadripper would be very small.

the real problem is that they pushed a 1000€ CPU on a mainstream socket.
sincerely, why buy a 1000€ CPU for a dual channel cpu on a mainstream socket?

PS: Is your system a bench one only?
32GB on a 64 thread CPU is so few for everything :)

Memory bandwidth isn't necessary for every application, or even most. So, if I needed the cores, sure, I'd buy one (I don't).

In the era of 1k video cards it is growing. I think more people (including me) are willing to spend more on a CPU knowing that it won't be obsolete in two years which would have been the case 10 years ago.

I'm using ten year old laptops and desktops at home and at work and... well, with SSDs and more memory, they get the basic stuff done.

For doing work, I'm with you, and I don't think AMDs TR 3000 CPUs are overpriced for what they offer -- just that the base price of entry is quite high while the utility over a consumer solution is a hard sell for most.

In the era of 1k video cards it is growing. I think more people (including me) are willing to spend more on a CPU knowing that it won't be obsolete in two years which would have been the case 10 years ago.

Ddr5, pcie5 and usb 4 will obsolete this generation of CPUs in two years, including threadripper

Well as in everything else, we need to keep pushing the boundaries of bleeding edge and stay far away from stagnation (4 cores Intel, I'm looking at you).
There's always lower tier offering and claiming the crown is always good marketing (See NVidia here).

Nobody is forcing people to buy into bleeding edge but having the choice to this HW is nice for hobbyist :)

Probably because they realized 90% of users didn't need more pcie lanes or memory bandwidth (ie everyone doing cad, video editing, rendering etc), and those that do will shell out the extra for trx40 and 24/32 cores without blinking. I haven't even seen a trx40 review that stresses pcie lanes or memory bandwidth, other than synthetics.

I love my 3960x which I’m about a week into. Computing used to be like this for a long time as anyone who went from an 8088 to a 286, or a P90 to a PPro200 can attest to. However in the last decade the pace has slowed to a crawl. TR3000 is the first time in a long while I feel there has been this big step change, and I love it. I just wish storage performance would keep up. Sequential is great and all, but seriously, why aren’t those game load times 10x faster with all this amazing hardware? Latency is just so killer nowadays.

oh and software. This machine deserves better software. Basic end user productivity aids stopped taking advantage of available compute a decade ago and nowhere is this more obvious than 2019’s CPUs that are no better for most users than a typical smartphone’s brain.

Last edited:
I love my 3960x which I’m about a week into. Computing used to be like this for a long time as anyone who went from an 8088 to a 286, or a P90 to a PPro200 can attest to. However in the last decade the pace has slowed to a crawl. TR3000 is the first time in a long while I feel there has been this big step change, and I love it. I just wish storage performance would keep up. Sequential is great and all, but seriously, why aren’t those game load times 10x faster with all this amazing hardware? Latency is just so killer nowadays.

oh and software. This machine deserves better software. Basic end user productivity aids stopped taking advantage of available compute a decade ago and nowhere is this more obvious than 2019’s CPUs that are no better for most users than a typical smartphone’s brain.

Are you running NVME? Huge reductions in game load times. Still some latency but not like sata.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeo
like this
Pcie4 nvme drives crush it, almost tempted to get a 2nd 2tb sabrent to raid them even though I don't need that much speed.

I want to buy Threadripper 3 but availability is low. I think a 20 core threadripper 3 priced at $1000 to beat the 10980X for the same price would have been nice.

Pcie4 nvme drives crush it, almost tempted to get a 2nd 2tb sabrent to raid them even though I don't need that much speed.

In what matters, they really don't -- NVMe is an order of magnitude slower, at least. We're not talking about sequential speeds here, which again, really don't matter.

Yeah, completely depends on the use case.

Game load times are based on CPU ability to decompress the game files. It is the loading a graphic element or a texture or something like that randomly during actual gameplay that latency matters.

Game load times are based on CPU ability to decompress the game files. It is the loading a graphic element or a texture or something like that randomly during actual gameplay that latency matters.

Decompress, and often these days, unencrypt. That's often single threaded, unfortunately.

I don't know of too many games that have to load assets from the disk on the fly, and if they do they usually usually load them in advance. Hitching in game is usually the video card hitting system ram for new assets.

There is no real problem. Unless you're Intel and you've seen the recent market share numbers in the enthusiasts market space...

Probably because they realized 90% of users didn't need more pcie lanes or memory bandwidth (ie everyone doing cad, video editing, rendering etc), and those that do will shell out the extra for trx40 and 24/32 cores without blinking. I haven't even seen a trx40 review that stresses pcie lanes or memory bandwidth, other than synthetics.

ok so why they didn't lowered the price accordingly?
3950X is a 1000€ CPU

Reactions: N4CR
like this

That's because it's very hard to do.

Really? Creating another TR trashing thread?

https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-...per-3000-thread-no-one-bought-those-cpus.html

We get it. You're poor. You can't afford Threadripper. Just leave it alone and let those of us that can afford it enjoy it.

Threadripper stock is incredibly low. These CPU's aren't readily available right now. It's not that there is no interest in them, they just aren't on shelves or in stock anywhere.

It's hard to do because there aren't common use cases in the real world - which was kind of the point. 16 cores on am4 makes sense in that context - a large amount of even hedt users just want the cores and don't need quad channel ram or a bunch of pcie lanes.

Last edited:
I would absolutely have bought a 16 core TR3 for $900-$950 because I don't need 24 cores but I do need the PCIE lanes for 1 gpu (16 lanes), 5 m.2 SSD's (20 lanes), 1 dual 40GB NIC (8 lanes). Instead I'm stuck getting 24 cores and paying more, ah well.

I would absolutely have bought a 16 core TR3 for $900-$950 because I don't need 24 cores but I do need the PCIE lanes for 1 gpu (16 lanes), 5 m.2 SSD's (20 lanes), 1 dual 40GB NIC (8 lanes). Instead I'm stuck getting 24 cores and paying more, ah well.

Stuck? Lol fastest 24 cores on Earth that's not some super computer node.

Reactions: mikeo
like this

Threadripper stock is incredibly low. These CPU's aren't readily available right now. It's not that there is no interest in them, they just aren't on shelves or in stock anywhere.

Plenty of stock in the UK in all the usual places (amazon, ocuk, scan, ebuyer et. - even some more diverse outlets such as box have them).

Plenty of stock in the UK in all the usual places (amazon, ocuk, scan, ebuyer et. - even some more diverse outlets such as box have them).

That's not the case here. Microcenter has none, Amazon doesn't have any and Fry's is swirling down the drain with no products on the shelves. Interestingly, I did just check and Newegg does have the Threadripper 3960X in stock. However, they are price gouging on it. Instead of being $1,399 like it should be, Newegg has it listed for $1,799.

So, fuck that.

That's not the case here. Microcenter has none, Amazon doesn't have any and Fry's is swirling down the drain with no products on the shelves. Interestingly, I did just check and Newegg does have the Threadripper 3960X in stock. However, they are price gouging on it. Instead of being $1,399 like it should be, Newegg has it listed for $1,799.

So, fuck that.

That's a shame - prices are already dropping in the UK, down from 1349gbp to 1309gbp this weekend.

Back