Threadripper 2970WX - The Unsung Hero

Nightfire

2[H]4U
When it comes to workstation class CPUs, it seems like the 2990WX, and now W-3175X get all of the attention. After all, if you are going big - why not the biggest!

Still, the 2970WX offers a lot for the money. As the 2990WX has 33% more cores and a 27% higher price, most would not expect it to out perform the 2970WX by that margin. That being said, it is often MUCH lower. Often around 10% on MT workloads, save rendering.

https://techgage.com/article/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2970wx-2920x-performance/

Anyone have experience with this CPU? I know a lot want to wait for the next TR, but that could be a good while. It seems like they have fixed some of the major performance issues as well making it a more versatile CPU.

Vray and Keyshot LOVE cores. All the cores you can feed it. I want to see a 48 core or 64 core TR. I also want to know when we are going to see any news on TR3. See for me working offshore and Queing up renders for 24/7 for 28 days at a time holy shit the things i can do. I am waiting for at least a 48 core TR. I hope 2019.

Now the 2970WX does seem like a good deal if you are trying to balance price/performance.

I have a 2950x and I can't imagine that the 24 core part is going to be much higher in performance than the 16 core part given the very unique work loads that can actually efficiently use that many cores

At the time I was worried about the performance penality of the 24 and 32 core parts in the windows scheduler which has since been resolved via core prio and amd's software method. So I went with the 16 core before the 24 was even released.

It is actually compressing large h264 to h265 videos as I am typing this. I love my Threadripper.

I am happy to see that you enjy the 24 core part. I never could justify the 32 and I agree looking at many of the benches out there the 24 core really really shines as potentially better than both the 16 and the 32 parts based on its price bracket.

Vray and Keyshot LOVE cores. All the cores you can feed it. I want to see a 48 core or 64 core TR. I also want to know when we are going to see any news on TR3. See for me working offshore and Queing up renders for 24/7 for 28 days at a time holy shit the things i can do. I am waiting for at least a 48 core TR. I hope 2019.

Now the 2970WX does seem like a good deal if you are trying to balance price/performance.

Not to sound self hypocritical but I agree. I would love to see 64 cores.

I would love to see my CPU encodes in videos approach the performance of my 1080ti in speed. The quality is far better on CPU and it would be delicious to see 128 threads working on my videos.

Back