Threadripper / 1950x Operating Temps

compgeek89

Limp Gawd
Trying to understand both reasonable operating temps and what I'm actually seeing with my system.

Components:
ASRock x399 Taichi
AMD Ryzen 1950x Threadripper
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U1...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B074DX2SX7

I've been running P95 for about 15 minutes and HWMonitor shows the following:

systemps.png

Obviously the temp I'm most curious about is the 84C reading. I changed the setting in the BIOS to have the mobo code LEDs display a temp that I gathered was the CPU temp and it reflects the 84 temp as well, even though HWMonitor indicates it's the "Mainboard". Is this the chipset? If so, is 84C acceptable? Or is this actually the CPU? If it's the CPU it seems pretty high to me. It hovers in the low 50s to mid 60s when the system is under minimal load (increases when a couple threads are running, decreases to 50s when mostly idle.)

Appreciate any insight.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those temps seem more like the VRM and not the VRM readings those seem way too low.

i would see what coretemp shows for your cpu and try aida64 for the vrm/mainboard temps. your vrm temp according to hwmonitor is really good 28c. it may just be a false positive.

i would see what coretemp shows for your cpu and try aida64 for the vrm/mainboard temps. your vrm temp according to hwmonitor is really good 28c. it may just be a false positive.
Aida64 is showing 84 for CPU and 57 for the "CPU Diode". VRM in the 30s.

Coretemp showing 57 for CPU

I'm still not sure what's what here o_O

I dunno what hwmonitor is trying to tell you, but Aida64 and Coretemp are in agreement, I believe. 84 is Tctrl and 57 is Tdie. For Threadripper, at least the 19xx, Tctrl is defined to be Tdie+27(C). Why? just because, I guess.

Aida64 is showing 84 for CPU and 57 for the "CPU Diode". VRM in the 30s.

Coretemp showing 57 for CPU

I'm still not sure what's what here o_O

Stop using core temp and aida.

Use hwinfo64. Its literally the most accurate software. It will give you the temp exactly as your chip is running.

I run a 2950x and it idles 30s and peaks 70s max on water. 1950x might run a little warmer by a few degrees.

Stop using core temp and aida.

Use hwinfo64. Its literally the most accurate software. It will give you the temp exactly as your chip is running.

I run a 2950x and it idles 30s and peaks 70s max on water. 1950x might run a little warmer by a few degrees.
Haha, everyone has a favorite. I will try it when I get home.

Haha, everyone has a favorite. I will try it when I get home.

Nah not a favorite
To be honest I dont like the interface. But its damn accurate. There is a major consensus here on HF about hwinfo64. Trust me.

I see your in noobie status so maybe your time here isn't long enough to see the countless suggestions to use hwinfo64. Welcome to HF. Unless you've been snooping for years then never mind what in saying.

I own six TR’s (2990WX, 2950X, 4-1950X’s) and I can tell you HWInfo64 is the most accurate of all the various hardware monitoring software for TR. Also, your temps look fine.

Tdie is the actual temp of the CPU at the junction of the die and heatspreader. That’s the one you want to watch. Yours looks great.

Tdie is the actual temp of the CPU at the junction of the die and heatspreader. That’s the one you want to watch. Yours looks great.
Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated. I can rest easier. I didn't like the look of 80+!

Excuse me, sir. Where's your overclock?

heh...heh...

FWIW, I have my 1950x @1.280. 4.0 ghz, runs about 66c on prime95.

But seriously, what is tctl? Mine is also hot as hell.

Tctl is used for fan control. AMD offsets Tctl 27 degrees from Tdie, in order to make fans that use the CPU temp for reference run faster/sooner to keep the CPU cooler.

... which is kinda like setting all the clocks in the house 15 minutes fast so that we won't be late. (which doesn't work anyway.) I personally think it's stupid, especially that much of an offset, but whatever.

Back