EXPIRED: Threaadripper 1920X $279

crazycuz20

Limp Gawd
I guess everyone is clearing inventory for the new gen3 threadrippers, and since this is an in between version it sells even slower then the 8 and 16 core gen1 parts. Heavily discounted on Amazon. I just bought one and returning the 1900X that's still in the mail. I'm pretty certain we'll see more heavily discounted gen1 and gen2 tr4 processors in 2019.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Threadri...89115VJC1VF&psc=1&refRID=AB05P0JR489115VJC1VF

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
probally going to jump on this,but I need to decide if i really need 12 cores

Last edited:
Some questions since I haven't looked into Threadripper much;

Are there any architectural differences between Ryzen and Threadripper (so they're the same single thread performance given the same clock speeds)?
Will the current Threadripper boards be compatible with Zen 2 Threadrippers like the current Ryzen boards will be?

I need to build a new box within the next couple months before I move to Europe and prices will be much higher there (shipping is not a factor since my employer is moving me). I was hoping Zen 2 would be out by then (late May), but I might just have to build it with current gen hardware and maybe upgrade later if I want to. This will mostly be for gaming, so just wondering if I would be better off with an OC'd 2700 or something over this. But if I can get better clocks out of this with even more threads available as well, I might just go for it.

Last edited:
As far as we know Zen 2 Threadripper on the 7nm process will be supported on the current platform.

Are there any architectural differences between Ryzen and Threadripper (so they're the same single thread performance given the same clock speeds)?

My understanding is that they're the same. There's just more CPU Complexes (CCX's} combined together for additional cores.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is they have the same IPC/"core strength" but Threadripper has a harder time getting higher clock speeds due to having more cores to boost (similar to how you have to reduce RAM clocks when you populate every DIMM slot vs just half of them due to additional strain on the Integrated Memory Controller [IMC]).

Will the current Threadripper boards be compatible with Zen 2 Threadrippers like the current Ryzen boards will be?

Yes, the AM4 and TR4 sockets should be good for Ryzen/Threadripper for all 4 gens if they stick to what they promised vs pissing off their customerbase. And AMD has always been good about sticking to a socket. You lose out on potential new chipset features and functionality but aren't forced to upgrade the motherboard if you don't want to or can't afford to (Intel basically forces a refresh every 2 years which gets to be annoying/expensive depending on your situation).

Reactions: T4rd
like this
My understanding is that they're the same. There's just more CPU Complexes (CCX's} combined together for additional cores.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is they have the same IPC/"core strength" but Threadripper has a harder time getting higher clock speeds due to having more cores to boost (similar to how you have to reduce RAM clocks when you populate every DIMM slot vs just half of them due to additional strain on the Integrated Memory Controller [IMC]).

Yes, the AM4 and TR4 sockets should be good for Ryzen/Threadripper for all 4 gens if they stick to what they promised vs pissing off their customerbase. And AMD has always been good about sticking to a socket. You lose out on potential new chipset features and functionality but aren't forced to upgrade the motherboard if you don't want to or can't afford to (Intel basically forces a refresh every 2 years which gets to be annoying/expensive depending on your situation).

Thanks. Yeah, doing some quick research shows that for gaming the Ryzen 5/7 CPUs are just as good, if not better for gaming since they seem to have better OC headroom in general. It seems at this point, my money would be better spent on a Ryzen 5/7 CPU for games.

Looks like it's back to $404.99 when I go there. A quick flash sale I guess.

Back