THQ states "Metro Last Light to be the poster child for high-end PCs"

Actually, I've been replaying Metro 2033 and it's been quite fun, because the atmosphere is what sold this game to me.

Much like the first STALKER (didn't like the others), the setting and atmosphere is very captivating. It adds so much to the gameplay and it mitigates the fact that it's so linear. I'm not a fan of totally linear games in this day and age, but Metro 2033 was a pleasant surprise. For example, my favorite levels were the library and D6. D6 especially had no major action set pieces, yet it was so interesting to walk around and listen to the dialogue in that huge complex, with such a great atmosphere of suspense, waiting for something to happen, that it nailed exactly what I wanted from it! In that regard it reminded me of Clive Barker's Undying, which is yet another game that completely nails the perfect atmosphere for the story it tells.

Does anyone know what the song & band of the music in the trailer are called? The trailer had me wanting to see more. I'm hoping that there are bigger areas to explore & more to do.

Does anyone know what the song & band of the music in the trailer are called? The trailer had me wanting to see more. I'm hoping that there are bigger areas to explore & more to do.
The song is "Machine Gun" by Portishead.

I, too, enjoyed the original game, and hope they can follow up with a solid sophomore release.

The song is "Machine Gun" by Portishead.

I, too, enjoyed the original game, and hope they can follow up with a solid sophomore release.

Thanks. After seeing glimpses of new mutants to fight, I'm really looking forward to it. The weapons need to be a bit stronger though... I felt that I wasted a lot of ammo on the "weaker" mutants.

Thanks. After seeing glimpses of new mutants to fight, I'm really looking forward to it. The weapons need to be a bit stronger though... I felt that I wasted a lot of ammo on the "weaker" mutants.

That's because you were using the crappy bullets. If you used the good bullets (like I did accidentally for long time) stuff goes down easier.

That's because you were using the crappy bullets. If you used the good bullets (like I did accidentally for long time) stuff goes down easier.

I might have to replay it & start using the military-grade bullets then.

Well the problem with that is the military grade was the currency. So you're shooting away your money.

Yeah, I got the bad ending too for mostly relying on ammo from dead bodies... :mad: I really wasn't fond of that bit with negative karma & bullet currency.

All the focus on Metro 2033's graphics clouded the fact that it was actually a really good linear shooter, probably the best since Bioshock (console-port issues aside). There was only so much 4A could do with the gameplay since it's based on a book. The only big fault I found with the game was its lack of replayability...but the first-time-through was just awesome.

Can't wait for this next Metro game. I have played through the first one 3 times on the normal difficulty level.

There are still tones of "achievements" that I have not unlocked.

Yeah, I got the bad ending too for mostly relying on ammo from dead bodies... :mad: I really wasn't fond of that bit with negative karma & bullet currency.

Hm. I don't remember negative karma for that. It's been a while though. Might have to play it a bit again. Especially after I get my new ATI 6950

What difficulty level were you playing on?

There are a few weapons that are just crazy powerful.

The first is the one that shoots the ball bearings. This one kills quite a few things with a single shot.

Another is the pneumatic arrow gun. This one kills most everything with a single shot.

Headshots are what you are aiming for in the game if you don't want to waste ammo.

It took me a couple times of playing through the game to get a really good strategy going. The first time I played through I wasn't all that impressed.

What difficulty level were you playing on?

There are a few weapons that are just crazy powerful.

The first is the one that shoots the ball bearings. This one kills quite a few things with a single shot.

Another is the pneumatic arrow gun. This one kills most everything with a single shot.

Headshots are what you are aiming for in the game if you don't want to waste ammo.

It took me a couple times of playing through the game to get a really good strategy going. The first time I played through I wasn't all that impressed.

I played it on normal, though I wasn't familiar with all of the weapons. The best assault rifle in the game was the one that I had fun with.

I played it on normal, though I wasn't familiar with all of the weapons. The best assault rifle in the game was the one that I had fun with.

Was that the AK47? I think I went through the second half of the game almost using nothing else.
Felt legitimately like an ass-kicking Russian. :p

Hm. I don't remember negative karma for that. It's been a while though. Might have to play it a bit again. Especially after I get my new ATI 6950

Yeah, it was one of the actions that were considered bad since you were making the spirits unhappy (supposedly). I don't get how survival & looting corpses is a bad thing...

Was that the AK47? I think I went through the second half of the game almost using nothing else.
Felt legitimately like an ass-kicking Russian. :p

According to the wikia, the Kalash 2012 is a FN P90 & the Kalash is an AK-74

http://metro2033.wikia.com/wiki/Kalash_2012
http://metro2033.wikia.com/wiki/Kalash
http://metro2033.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Weapons

Herm, seems i might have missed out on a gem. I heard a lot of bad things about metro 2033, so i did not purchase it. Did i miss a good game? Perhaps one that had launche issues? Been looking for a new game, and i could definitely pick up a copy of metro 2033 for fairly cheap now.

Metro 2033 is absolutely stunning on my i7 GTX 480 SLI rig. I'm even more impressed knowing this is not a PC exclusive game, but was also ported to the 360. I played the 360 version and even that didn't look too bad. Crytek should take some cues from the developers of this gem. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for the sequel!

Herm, seems i might have missed out on a gem. I heard a lot of bad things about metro 2033, so i did not purchase it. Did i miss a good game? Perhaps one that had launche issues? Been looking for a new game, and i could definitely pick up a copy of metro 2033 for fairly cheap now.

Here's the thing about Metro 2033. It's the atmosphere mostly. Really sets the tone. It was kinda scary too. It's a pretty linear game and that's where I bet most people get upset. Ending was a little weird.

Which ending? I'd assume most people did the easiest ending, or do you mean the events leading up to the very end?

What is this multiple ending that ya'll speak of?

I've played it twice now and it ended the exact same way both times...
I set up the missle aiming thingy and then run around a maze with aliens whispering frantically that I must be stopped. Finish maze. Missles launch. I ponder the question of whether or not getting rid of the alien looking thingies might have caused us to lose something. *shrug*

*heading to research this*

Yes, there are 2 endings. Mostly just a different epilogue, but adds a different take to the game.

Boo! This is the last thing I want to hear about a game! 99% of the time when a dev spends most of their time trying to pump out the best graphics possible, the gameplay suffers greatly, as shown in the first Metro game. We don't need photo realistic graphics; we need gameplay that makes the game worth playing!

They managed to get it right with 2033. One of the most enjoyable games I've played. Definitely more fun than Crysis. I think it's an unfair comparison to say it was all spectacle and no content. It's run-of-the-mill if you play it like a run-of-the-mill game, but when you get to the end you realise it was designed so that if you run headlong shooting everything then you missed out on a lot. Nicely designed game.

I would also like to add, that I only played the game on hard. This really seemed to add much to the challenge and fun. The difficulty was such that human enemies could definitely kill you in a couple or even one shot to the head at times. Early in the game when I entered the first bandit base with Bourbon, it was so difficult that I almost quit. I'm glad I stuck through and finished it on hard. I definitely reloaded some checkpoints a crapton of times but it added many hours to the length of the game.

I felt this game was definitely more fun than Crysis 2. The atmosphere was just so cool. It was like a cooler and more realistic fallout. I only have a few gripes about 2033 that I hope they address:

1) No vsync = big-time fail. D3doverrider app wouldnt work with the game so I had to endure much tearing. Why the hell would a modern game not allow vsync with triple buffering?

2) Filter system was a bit limiting. I feel like if I search and scrounge everywhere I should be able to find an abundance of filters, but they make it so you can't pickup more if you're not low. To make up for this I ended up constantly taking my filter off and on to conserve them, which became annoying. I just couldn't help myself.

3) Ending definitely could have used a bit more to it. I enjoyed the sequence leading up to the ending, but I feel like a little more payoff was due there.

Otherwise, 2033 was a great game.

3)

2) Filter system was a bit limiting. I feel like if I search and scrounge everywhere I should be able to find an abundance of filters, but they make it so you can't pickup more if you're not low. To make up for this I ended up constantly taking my filter off and on to conserve them, which became annoying. I just couldn't help myself.

The filter system is what led me to quit the game. Got so far in the game only to realize I needed to have a larger quantity of filters and then some issue that I vaguely remember going through 8+ filters in the matter of a couple minutes.

Never finished the first but maybe I'll get it and the 2nd Stalker another chance since I have better hardware.

I never had any problem with the Air filters. Loved the added aspect of them as well.

Yup. GFX dont make a game good.. See Crysis 1.

Another +1 here.

Gameplay was awkward and controls felt highly dated compared to slicker FPSs.

The graphics weren't good either IMHO, yeah I said it. Throwing XYZ shader effects does not necessarily make for nice looking visuals. Dark, bland hallways, lack of colour, and a general lack of artistic flair.

Games like the later Hitman games demonstrate how REAL ARTISTS construct the visuals in a game; putting detail only where you'll notice it, and stripping it out it where you won't. Metro2003 is another classic example of game designers just throwing in any and all effects without first considering whether it'll actually be noticed enough to justify the performance hit.

Crysis 2's barely noticable tesselation and great performance hit is another example.

Just because you can throw another shader effect in doesn't necessarily mean that you should. :cool:

I also have worries that eye-candy will be more important than plot, or gameplay. I take bad looking, but well thought game over beautiful PoS. Far Cry 2 anyone? :p

Why optimise coding, or create challenging gameplay, when you may make another engine demo, as was Crysis.

I still can't beleive my 5870 let me play metro 2033 with FRAPS at 1920x1200. I had d3doverrider running in the background for vsync. As long as I had Advanced DOF off, I can honestly say 95% of the game was smooth. Yes, there were some slow/choppy parts like when you first meet Hunter or if there is a lot of smoke, but overall it was more than playable.

I hope the 5870 can handle Last Light :eek:

Boo! This is the last thing I want to hear about a game! 99% of the time when a dev spends most of their time trying to pump out the best graphics possible, the gameplay suffers greatly, as shown in the first Metro game. We don't need photo realistic graphics; we need gameplay that makes the game worth playing!

Graphics aren't everything, but on the otherhand when you have stagnation like we currently do programming for the high end like it's early 2006...

Well, no enthusiast likes that...

Back