Thousands of cheap 64-core AMD EPYC CPUs have gone on sale on eBay, Aliexpress

kac77

2[H]4U
Hmm. Might be time for a server upgrade.

I don't need 64 cores. I currently have a dual socket server board with 8C16T in each socket, but maybe there are good deals to be had down the product line too.

I'd maybe go with a 24C/48T chip just to call it an upgrade :p

An EPYC 7443P would probably be perfect for me.

Edit:

Yikes. Looks like these are still selling at or above MSRP...

1678399365448.png

Reactions: kac77
like this
Older 003 series parts probably with a lot of miles on them from retired VM servers.
I could use a trip of 7443P's in my stack to upgrade from my 7402P's, I would need to check with Dell that they could actually take them as the locks happen on the UEFI side, not the CPU hardware itself.
But looking at it I can get them new, in-box, from my suppliers in Canada for $1853.90 CAD

Remember, some EPYC CPUs have vendor locks burned into them...

I did not know this. Thank you.

I'll have to keep an eye open for it if/when I go shopping.

That is total bullshit by the way, and ought to be illegal.

Older 003 series parts probably with a lot of miles on them from retired VM servers.
I could use a trip of 7443P's in my stack to upgrade from my 7402P's, I would need to check with Dell that they could actually take them as the locks happen on the UEFI side, not the CPU hardware itself.
But looking at it I can get them new, in-box, from my suppliers in Canada for $1853.90 CAD

Do you know, do non-P versions work in uniprocessor boards? Or is it non P for multi-socket, and P for unisocket only?

Do you know, do non-P versions work in uniprocessor boards? Or is it non P for multi-socket, and P for unisocket only?
P are the single socket-only chips and they have the crosslinks disabled/removed so you can get slightly higher clocks compared to their non-P multi-socket brethren.

Edit:
I should add that all EPYCs can work in a single socket configuration, but the P's can't be used in multi-socket configurations.

Last edited:
P are the single socket-only chips and they have the crosslinks disabled/removed so you can get slightly higher clocks compared to their non-P multi-socket brethren.

Yeah, I'm aware that P are single socket only, and the non P are multi-socket.

What I am trying to figure out is, if I find a random good deal on a non-P version should it work in single socket boards?

(I know this is probably unlikely, as non-P chips usually wind up being more expensive, but I am trying to figure out if I should limit myself to only looking at P chips.)

Truth is most of these are overkill for my needs. If they only had enough PCIe lanes, I could probably run my server on a many-core atom chip :p By my count I need at least 72 lanes. (14 4x NVMe drives + 8x NIC + 8x SAS HBA)

I don't want to go with anything pre-Milan, but I could probably get away with the lowest clocked 16 core Milan Epyc. 24 cores would be a nice little bonus, but mostly not necessary for me. I also don't need the cores to be screamers. Anyhting in th eEPYC lineup is going to be faster than my E5-2650v2's with Specter/Meltdown mitigations :p

Most of my VM's are pretty light on the CPU. They like having dedicated cores, but those cores don't have to be super fast.

Yeah, I'm aware that P are single socket only, and the non P are multi-socket.

What I am trying to figure out is, if I find a random good deal on a non-P version should it work in single socket boards?

(I know this is probably unlikely, as non-P chips usually wind up being more expensive, but I am trying to figure out if I should limit myself to only looking at P chips.)

Truth is most of these are overkill for my needs. If they only had enough PCIe lanes, I could probably run my server on a many-core atom chip :p By my count I need at least 72 lanes. (14 4x NVMe drives + 8x NIC + 8x SAS HBA)

I don't want to go with anything pre-Milan, but I could probably get away with the lowest clocked 16 core Milan Epyc. 24 cores would be a nice little bonus, but mostly not necessary for me. I also don't need the cores to be screamers. Anyhting in th eEPYC lineup is going to be faster than my E5-2650v2's with Specter/Meltdown mitigations :p

Most of my VM's are pretty light on the CPU. They like having dedicated cores, but those cores don't have to be super fast.
Sorry yes, I clarified after, in an edit. The non-P's all work in single socket configurations, the P's just can't work in multi-socket configurations.
I have a budget meeting coming up soon and may have some 32/64 servers being retired, I'll keep you in mind because the local company that took my decommissioned parts previously shut down.

Sorry yes, I clarified after, in an edit. The non-P's all work in single socket configurations, the P's just can't work in multi-socket configurations.
I have a budget meeting coming up soon and may have some 32/64 servers being retired, I'll keep you in mind because the local company that took my decommissioned parts previously shut down.

Can't make any guarantees, but I'd be at least interested in seeing what you are looking to part with!

Back