Thoughts on why my Windows 8 is slow/lagging....

hypertek

Gawd
Ok guys, just to give a little discription on my laptop
HP Dv6 6135dx 15.6
AMD A8 3500m
8gb ram
original 650 hard drive or whatever size (I forgot).
13.2 amd beta drivers
Originally windows 7 laptop.

I bought Windows 8 a while back when it was on sale, reformated fresh, and installed it with no prior OS after wipe.
Was decent, but now I realize it is slow, when opening programs, or switching between desktop applications (like pulling Word to top of desktop (when its behind the browser etc).

it is just slow alot. I can't imagine hard drive failing. I run defrag, smart defrag 2. System is overclocked via Kstat, but overclock ran very good in win 7 no problems or bsod.

Power settings in High performance mode . I occasionally run msconfig to clean out any unnecessary junk in start up.

I also removed AVG premium just because I read that third party anti-virus may slow down windows 8, but still it seems to be slow.

When playing flac audio files, I get a slight pause here and there.
When I hook up my USB Audio DAC/sound card, i get the same audio pause in games, yet no pause with onboard sound.

When doing the same with my old desktop on windows 7 , none of those issues exist.

I really feel like it isn't giving all the cpu power, but again my overclock has nothing to do with it, i can disable it and still the same.

Anyone experience these type of issues? I should go back to win 7.

I was having trouble a few days ago after having installed the adaware antivirus free trial while doing some other installs with ninite.

I didn't realize I'd selected that, and I installed AVG at the same time. I removed the adaware one and it's been fine since then.

I cant figure it out. I tried system file check at reboot. Found no problems.

I think it became slow. but I don't recall after installing Win8.

A lot of new win8 users discover that all of those live tiles consume a lot of cpu cycles and internet bandwidth. I've read several accounts of people disabling or deleting those apps and that speeds up their computer significantly. Just passing this on. I have no experience with win8 yet and I'm in no hurry.

A lot of new win8 users discover that all of those live tiles consume a lot of cpu cycles and internet bandwidth.

This is highly unlikely. Live Tiles can't just run in the background and consume lots of resources as there are some very tight on resources for anything not running in the foreground under Windows RT. If you have any links to Live Tiles causing CPU and/or bandwidth consumption issues I'd love to see them.

I've read several accounts of people disabling or deleting those apps and that speeds up their computer significantly. Just passing this on. I have no experience with win8 yet and I'm in no hurry.

I have probably close to 100 Live Tile apps on my main Windows 8 desktop, around 30 or so on my Atom based tablet and I've never seen any performance issues like you're describing.

Having a laptop is bad enough, having an overclocked laptop is asking for trouble!

99% of laptops made can barely handle the regular thermal loads on heavy use. Overclocking them is a certain way to kill them prematurely. Your cpu may be dying and is getting thermal throttling at the moment, showing as a significant slowdown. My wife had a DV6 like yours and it was getting so hot duing internet games that she had to use a cooling pad under it while she held it on her knees. After 2 years of use it died. Now she has a i7 laptop that cost more than double of the DV6 - no more cooling pad required.

Have you installed chipset drivers?

On my laptop the default windows 8 chipset drivers were adequate, but installing the AMD madison park driver pack from Asus gave noticable improvement (although I did have to run them in windows 7 compatibility).

I had to go to Asus though, I could only find graphics drivers on the AMD website.

Edit: As B00nie mentioned it might be thermal issues, but its not necessarily dying. My wife's old HP had terrible cooling and would reguarly go into thermal shutdown on any power profile other than power saver by the time i got my hands on it. Dismantling it and cleaning the dust out of the fan/hs made it good as new.

Its also possible the if original windows 7 install was OEM it came with some sort of additional power management software that you're now missing in windows 8. Not sure how you'd check that though.

Last edited:
Have you installed chipset drivers?

Edit: As B00nie mentioned it might be thermal issues, but its not necessarily dying. My wife's old HP had terrible cooling and would reguarly go into thermal shutdown on any power profile other than power saver by the time i got my hands on it. Dismantling it and cleaning the dust out of the fan/hs made it good as new.

Yep my wifes DV6 had collected a good thumb size ball of lint in the cooling vents in the first year of use. Compressed air wasn't enough, had to dismantle the case and remove it manually.

Just because an OC was stable on a prior OS doesn't mean it's stable on the new OS. This was a big issue when people upgraded from XP to Vista and Vista to 7.

Windows 8 handles the CPU differently than 7. If you want to honestly try and fix this, you're going to have to set the system board back to default settings then start from that.

I have probably close to 100 Live Tile apps on my main Windows 8 desktop, around 30 or so on my Atom based tablet and I've never seen any performance issues like you're describing.

While that may be a valid statement as applicable to you it is invalid argument to what you are arguing for.

There have been numerous bugs across hardware/software platforms that have affected anywhere from <1% to 10% to 70% of people.

There are even bugs that affect 30 to 1000 people worldwide. Just because the bug does not happen/is not applicable to you does not mean that the people who experience bugs are not real. Nor does it mean that no bugs exist.

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable. Metro apps and live tiles simply do not run constantly in the background using up resources by design. If that is happening to folks is a very serious bug that obviously needs to be fixed.

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable. Metro apps and live tiles simply do not run constantly in the background using up resources by design. If that is happening to folks is a very serious bug that obviously needs to be fixed.

I would honestly say that could easily apply to just about everything they put in Windows 8 and took out of Windows 8.

Having worked with Windows RT and knowing it's dirty little secret I wouldn't discount anything. It's dirty secret is: It's 100% COM+. It is closer to COM than just about any other API they've released that ended up wrapping COM.

In the OP's case however I would lean towards this not being the problem. A check in the Task Manager and switching to Advanced Mode and sorting by CPU Usage and seeing who is using the CPU.

Having worked with Windows RT and knowing it's dirty little secret I wouldn't discount anything. It's dirty secret is: It's 100% COM+. It is closer to COM than just about any other API they've released that ended up wrapping COM.

Not sure why you think this is a dirty little secret, this is well known by everyone that's looked into the Windows RT API since the beginning.

Not sure why you think this is a dirty little secret, this is well known by everyone that's looked into the Windows RT API since the beginning.

Ahh, because most people don't know what Windows RT is, let alone look at the Windows RT API. But countless generations are familiar in one way or another about COM and the lovely COM exception codes/ errors/engine execution initialization failures/etc.

There's also a untold snarky side note that i mentally attach to it, but that's only known to me

I'd have to think that even the slackest Windows developer at this point has heard of Windows RT and has a basic understanding of it.

I'd have to think that even the slackest Windows developer at this point has heard of Windows RT and has a basic understanding of it.

Are you kidding me, The Dev world is huge and even many of the not so slackiest developers are easily 5-10 years out of touch with the times.

Are you kidding me, The Dev world is huge and even many of the not so slackiest developers are easily 5-10 years out of touch with the times.

I did qualify by saying Windows developer, and I guess in my mind a developer that works on a particular platform does at least keep up with it, even if he or she isn't using the latest and greatest professionally. I'm definitely no software genius or workaholic but I do try to keep up with stuff, but computing is also my biggest hobby so work and play often end up being on in the same for me anyway.

Back