thoughts on this motherboard for HDTV

I will not be using bluray or hddvd drives.

I will on the other hand be running 720p vid files and some 1080p

I saw this mobo and thought it was ideal, looking for thoughts. will it run what I want? few gigs of ram. small hd etc?

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G mATX AM2+ PCI-EX SATA RAID Video Sound GLAN 1394 HDMI Motherboard
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28829&vpn=GA-MA78GM-S2H&manufacture=Gigabyte

Just need a small htpc

or any thoughts on an alternative?

thats is usually the most recommended htpc board for AMD, so yes it is a great board, and its affordable. theres also another version of this board with 128mb sideport memory, for another extra boost in video/graphics performance.

this board will handle blu ray and hd formats, and even 1080p so your 720p files should play fine as long as they are dxva compliant, which would let the board offload the video to the graphics processor.

since you dont know if all your hd files are dxva, you might want to get a 2.2ghz+ processor just in case if the cpu has to do the offloading.

yeah thats a greatboard. i got one in my livingroom. just remember you will need a video codec and audio, i recomend core avc pro you can buy it for well under 20(free if you know where to get it). and ac3 filter.

if you aare gonna do audio over hdmi you will need to go into bios and change a setting i forget where it is but you have to change vga-dvi to vga-hdmi

yeah thats a greatboard. i got one in my livingroom. just remember you will need a video codec and audio, i recomend core avc pro you can buy it for well under 20(free if you know where to get it). and ac3 filter.

if you aare gonna do audio over hdmi you will need to go into bios and change a setting i forget where it is but you have to change vga-dvi to vga-hdmi
core avc doesnt support hardware acceleration which negates the point of this board really, and it also drops frames in the video, which makes it "faster".

id recommend arcsoft TMT

Good board, I have its sister with the side port memory in my new HTPC.

anyone have an ncix link to the board with the boost? havnt been able to find it!

Thanks for the reviews

Shawn

The only performance increase is in gaming, for video playback it doesn't matter.
well not only gaming, just graphic intensive stuff, like 3d modeling and etc. Might help for photoshop as well, GPU acceleration is supported now.

well not only gaming, just graphic intensive stuff, like 3d modeling and etc. Might help for photoshop as well, GPU acceleration is supported now.

Either way, the point is is that it's not going to help with an HTPC setup which is the whole point of this thread. :rolleyes:

hmm so this will support proper hdmi.

You guys talked about audio via hdmi. will it support the full setup? If i have an hdmi reciever I can get surround sound etc?

stick with the Gigabyte board. It is a really nice board. A friend of mine has one and I am jealous.

Back