Thoughts on the SilverStone NT06-E please

I'd wait for a review to come out. Personally, I think a HSF with vertical mount fan (directing exhaust air to rear or top) would be better than a horizontal mount fan that directs air down towards the MB.

Although a horizontal fan will cool other MB components surrounding the CPU but if you have sufficient cooling for NB and good overall case airflow etc, you probably don't need it.

Probably overpriced and underperforming like all of Silverstone's coolers. The design isn't original at all and it doesn't look big enough to provide cooling competitive with the top performers right now, like the TRUE and the Xigmatek.

Probably overpriced and underperforming like all of Silverstone's coolers. The design isn't original at all and it doesn't look big enough to provide cooling competitive with the top performers right now, like the TRUE and the Xigmatek.

You're right, it's not cheap and also you need to include the price of a nice 120mm PWM fan to round it out. As for the design, the powder wick heat pipe "should" provide superior performance in a horizontal oriented application, but of course would be worse than the common axial groove wick in a vertical orientation. Also, that large heat sink at the base seamed unique to me. The TRUE doesn't have that, for example. But I don't know if any of this actually results in improve performance or not. This is why I'm hoping some outfit conducts a comprehensive analysis of this product soon and posts their results.

I'd wait for a review to come out. Personally, I think a HSF with vertical mount fan (directing exhaust air to rear or top) would be better than a horizontal mount fan that directs air down towards the MB.

Although a horizontal fan will cool other MB components surrounding the CPU but if you have sufficient cooling for NB and good overall case airflow etc, you probably don't need it.

NewEgg just listed this HSF. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220033&Tpk=NT06-E Maybe we'll get some user reviews over the next few weeks.

Appears they changed the design a bit, they angled it down. That looks kinda goofy to me. I wonder if it would work if you mounted the fan under the fins and exhaused the air as you suggest.

Special Feature
Fan not included for maximum flexibility

Is it just me, or did they just list not giving you a fan as a feature.
"We've decided not to give you wheels on your new car, so you can have maximum flexibility!"

It looks ok, but we've seen this design before, so there's nothing outstanding that would make me want to purchase this over something else.

I sent a message to SilverStone asking about reviews. I got an email today. They said 3dgameman is testing the unit and will likely have the first review of the product.

Second, the photos on NewEgg are correct and ones on the SilverStone website are not. It is fact angled down now. The support person didn't know why the change to the design had been made.

I just wrote Rodney over at 3dgameman asking to confirm that they are reviewing it. Curious to see the results!

I can’t find any reviews for this heat sink. http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=NT06-E&area=usa

Its design intrigues me. The additional heat sink on the base is interesting. While the photo shows no fan its not passive, you need to provide your own 120mm CPU fan. Thoughts?

It is passive - the FAN is optional.

The NT06-E like the NT06 lite before it was really designed for Silverstone SUGO range of mATX cases.

The one thing the SUGO's all have is common is that the PSU sits about 82mm's above the CPU making 90% of other after market coolers impossible to install and these coolers are designed to be actively cooled by a 120mm fan INSIDE the PSU.

As for the sloping down of the Newegg product pic. I hate to tell you this but, it's BENT.

I've got one, mine was slightly bent downward too though not nearly as severe. I simply bent it back square with my hands It's quite sturdy but the pipes are flexible when gentle pressure is applied. It's supposed to sit flush with the PSU remember, and the PSU is supposed to be mounted with it's fan directly over the CPU and thus this cooler.

LOL @ design change.

Even it it was i'd still bend it flush with my PSU.

I'm modding my SG03 at the moment so i can't provide pics.

Seriously check out NT06 Lite reviews (you're right you won't find the NT06-E reviews just yet) the principle is identical.

Zybortrix, what CPU are you using and what are (were) your temperatures? I thought those newegg pics looked bent - everywhere else I looked the 2 parts of the heatsink look parallel.

I think the best bang for your buck cpu cooler seems to be the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Go to anandtech for more reviews.

The best bang-for-the-buck cooler is really the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. The AC Freezer 7 Pro is the cheapest decent cooler though.

I think the best bang for your buck cpu cooler seems to be the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Go to anandtech for more reviews.
uhm dude are you living up to your handle? NT06 is made for SFF. Freezer 7 won't fit there.

uhm dude are you living up to your handle? NT06 is made for SFF. Freezer 7 won't fit there.

I saw him make an identical post in a different thread as well. Either he's a troll, or he's just a moron.

The one thing the SUGO's all have is common is that the PSU sits about 82mm's above the CPU making 90% of other after market coolers impossible to install and these coolers are designed to be actively cooled by a 120mm fan INSIDE the PSU.

As for the sloping down of the Newegg product pic. I hate to tell you this but, it's BENT.

I've got one, mine was slightly bent downward too though not nearly as severe. I simply bent it back square with my hands It's quite sturdy but the pipes are flexible when gentle pressure is applied. It's supposed to sit flush with the PSU remember, and the PSU is supposed to be mounted with it's fan directly over the CPU and thus this cooler.

It's good to know you can easily bend it back. I checked out the SUGO case you mentioned. If you look at the SUGO pic here http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-163-116-09.jpg you'll notice there's a fan angled at the back of the case. Could that be why they angled the heat sink, to interface with that fan?

It's good to know you can easily bend it back. I checked out the SUGO case you mentioned. If you look at the SUGO pic here http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-163-116-09.jpg you'll notice there's a fan angled at the back of the case. Could that be why they angled the heat sink, to interface with that fan?

No, 'they' havent angled it that way for any reason, the newegg one is simply bent (rather badly).

That case though, the SG02-F, has that angled crossbeam to cunningly fit an 80mm fan in there. Without that angular section towards the rear the largest exhaust fan would be a whiney 60mm - or no exhaust fan at all (there were issues with the SG01 which lacks the angled crossbeam and supported a 60mm fan - often that 60mm fan would abstruct one from securing your installed PCI devices with screws, so they revised it - they also cater for cards as large as a 9800GTX2 in the SG02-F).

Silverstone engineers are thinking people. I love them.

To understand the NT06 you should really look at the rear of the SUGO's, like this:

SG02-FW-BACK-VIEW.jpg

You see here how that angled piece and 80mm fan exhaust GPU air out the back through the perforations to the right of the PSU and that the PSU, to the direct left of that angular crossbeam, sits directly above the CPU - fan down - and that the NT06 fits perfectly between the CPU and the PSU, flush like.

Newegg is showing off a damaged (but fixable) NT06. That's all.

Photo's of my rig, specs and temps etc, will emerge as soon as i get some more decent weather for painting. . . or as soon as that DFI P45 micro arrives . . .

:)

Okay, I get what you're saying now. The NT06-E, with its power metal heat pipes, should perform very well in that orientation.

I checked out that 3dgameman reviews of other products. I’m not sure how in depth of a review we’ll see. He does kinda user level reviews. I wish Tom’s or Frosty would give the NT06-E a whirl.

If the NT06-E proved to have respectable performance, I was planning on modding it. I was thinking of mounting a low profile fan under and having it blow out to my case exhaust fan. Also, I wanted to mount a small fan I have over the base heat sink, just for giggles.

Is anyone running this with a Q9450? (Preferably in a Sugo case)

My idle temps are in the mid 50s, and upon running Prime95, Core0 got up to 74C before I stopped it.

please post details for these temps! what cpu/heatsink/overclock?

I am using the Q9450 at stock speeds with the NT06-E. It's on the mATX ASUS P5E-VM HDMI motherboard, all shoved into a Silverstone SG01-F case.
Because the case is so small, a 120mm fan won't fit on top, but the power supply is made by Silverstone and has a 120mm fan on the bottom that is designed to draw the air from the NT06-E.

You can see my thread about the NT06-E going on in the SFF forum: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1328652

Frankly the 3dgameman review wasn't very deep. I would have liked to have seen a pic of the NT06-E mounted on the MB. The orientation of that HSF matters. Its heat pipes use sintered metal powder wicking. If the MB is vertical, that HSF should be mounted with its heat pipes horizontal, not vertical. If the MB is flat then it doesn't matter how you mount the HSF becuase the heat pipes will remain parallel to the ground.

Frankly the 3dgameman review wasn't very deep. I would have liked to have seen a pic of the NT06-E mounted on the MB. The orientation of that HSF matters. Its heat pipes use sintered metal powder wicking. If the MB is vertical, that HSF should be mounted with its heat pipes horizontal, not vertical. If the MB is flat then it doesn't matter how you mount the HSF becuase the heat pipes will remain parallel to the ground.
uhm he hasn't actually reviewed it yet.

/edit oh i see it: http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/13158/103/
and you're right, it's a pretty shitty review. he didn't say what case he used, nor posted any pics of it installed.

http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/13158/103/
and you're right, it's a pretty shitty review. he didn't say what case he used, nor posted any pics of it installed.

One reason I don't visit that coughtrashycough site, along with how you're limited to video reviews for some products. No in-depth, no descriptions, no anything just a bunch of numbers that anyone can toss out. Sorry, can't stand the guy.

Good find. That HSF actually performs rather well. I would like to see that level analysis for the NT06-E.

lol, it is what I am running right now, kinda sad to see such excitement over essentially the same thing seeing as how the Ultra-x preforms greatly, and no one seems to care......

lol, it is what I am running right now, kinda sad to see such excitement over essentially the same thing seeing as how the Ultra-x preforms greatly, and no one seems to care......

On the Ultra-x, is it possible to mount the fan under the fins, but still blowing down to cool the NB, mem, etc? It appears to have enough room.

On the Ultra-x, is it possible to mount the fan under the fins, but still blowing down to cool the NB, mem, etc? It appears to have enough room.
uhm... why? you'd have the PSU fan and the fan you're proposing to mount doing tug of war on each other, not cooling anything really, just making noise.

Back