thoughts on the ouya?

dcninja

n00b
just curious as to thoughts on the ouya? anyone use it for more than an emu box for their tv?

Sometimes I use it has a HTPC (don't want to lug my desktop to the TV room for a movie night). It can't stream over wifi for crap (at least hd video). To store videos, flash drive/usb hard drive is needed. Also you have to use a special build on the ouya forum of XBMC(semper xbmc IIRC) instead of the XBMC on the app store to watch videos as XBMC is missing codecs that will not be added

Other than that and emu, no real use.

I use plex and emulators on it, works great for that

Well, there are no real games for it.
The controller is about average at best.
Emulators, emulators, emulators.
HBO Go and Netflix don't do it any favors.
So its worth $99 for it if you love NES, SNES, N-64, SMS, Genesis and PC Engine and still enjoy playing them, if you don't, not worth it.
(I own one)

I have one, it sucks dick. Have to use plex on it because with XBMC it doesn't play hardly any audio codecs, the rpi does a MUCH better job than the ouya.

The ouya doesn't have an unlocked bootloader and everything so you can't throw linux on their natively or modify it much. There is one custom rom that I'm aware of and its just the stock one with google play/root included.

The controller is pretty good IMO, I like the touchpad function on it, doesn't feel all that weird.

Its OK for emulators and stuff but honestly I'd be quicker to put the money into a cheap i3/fm2 system so I could play more demanding emulators/steam games.

Back