Thoughts on PowerConnect 5324

blk95civicex

Limp Gawd
I came across two PowerConnect 5324 switches on craigslist and am wondering if any of you have any experience with them. I know PowerConnects usually have a good rep here at [H], but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something with this particular model. Right now 99% of my network at home is semi-managed (Linksys SRW224) 10/100. I'd love to get 10/100/1000 all around. I could with this, and have managed capabilities as well.

What is a good price for a used one? Is $150/ea anything to write home about? Other thoughts? Thanks!

150 is a prretty good price for this switch. They regularly fetch 250 or so on eBay. I've got one running my home network. The web interface is garbage, doesn't work properly in firefox with https enabled and it generally sucks anyway. The command line is a decent IOS clone and works pretty well. The fans are a bit noisy for home use, but I've disconnected mine and haven't had any problems. Its been reliable, haven't had any performance or other issues with it.

Overall a decent switch at a good price. I'd rather have an HP 2824, but for the price the Dell is a good substitute - its usually about half the price used.

i run a 5324 on my home network as well, good solid switch that supports more features than i'll ever probably use but at least i know they are there. The web gui is good but has issues as above said. The CLI is great, but using cisco stuff dell's way of doing things gets me LOL. as far as performance, this is my first unmanaged switch and it blows the DGS-2208 i had outta the water in large file transfers.

I've got one at home as well and I pretty much agree with keenan and moose, it's a nice switch. It sounds like you're getting a pretty good deal as well. I snatched mine on ebay for about that amount. It is a little noisey for a home environment, but I keep mine tucked away in my office closet. It and my 3com POE switch compete for the loudness crown.

Back