Thoughts on Nvidia releasing a another card this fall Refresh of 980s?

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Guys I know Pascal hopefully will arrive late in 2016 but do you thing Nvidia will have something to offer this Fall? Im close to dumping my 3 980 Gtxs and going with 2 980 Tis, Otherwise I was just going to wait. The [ H ]ard Ocp in me has me wanting to just order these damn 980 Ti's!

Maybe a dual GPU Titan-X/980 Ti but that's probably about it. I would just go ahead and grab the 980 Ti SLI if that's what you want, they're obviously great cards and will last you a while.

Its not like my 980s are running poorly hehe, Seems like Witcher 3 could use a boost and with some the newer triple A titles on the Horizon I like to stay Maxxed out at 1440P. Gsync has been a blessing thou, I love my ROG Swift to death!

They will probably EOL the Titan X. Release a full blown GM200 as GTX 990 or whatever, with the full 12GB VRAM and allow non-reference designs. 980 and 980 ti gets price reduction.
2015-2016 will all be Maxwell. Dat grind till Pascal.

Keep your 3x 980s. There is no point in breaking even for the same performance at 1440p if you're getting good scaling in 3-way SLI.

They will probably EOL the Titan X. Release a full blown GM200 as GTX 990 or whatever, with the full 12GB VRAM and allow non-reference designs. 980 and 980 ti gets price reduction.
2015-2016 will all be Maxwell. Dat grind till Pascal.
That would make no sense to just rerelease the Titan X under a different name... If it were on a smaller node then I could see it. Lower-binned chips are already going to the 980 Ti, anyway.

You guys know what the upgrade bug is and I got it. I really want to upgrade to Skylake but I'm disappointed that there will be no 6 or 8 core cpu at launch. I guess I'll wait until the new Windows launches and get some benchmarks. I still can't justify leaving my 4800mhz 2600k behind yet, games just fly with this setup. Since I built it I've ran 3 6970s tri-fire, 3 7970s tri-fire, 3 780s and now 3 980s with pretty much no problems. It's been the best setup I've ever owned, even thou it's aging the Fps just keep pumping out.

Ignoring dual video card shenanigans, my best guess is a 980 Ti Ultra using GM200 (with higher frequency than Titan X) with 6GB (or maybe 12GB if AMD can pull out a 8 GB Fury X).

Well there haven't been any rumors. And there are usually rumors well in advance.

I don't think Nvidia will drop anything until Pascal/16nm Q1 2016. They probably like their chances with AMD's Fury lineup and market share that it would seem almost silly stupid to throw another card out there over a few percentage points here or there.

While we're on the speculation train, any thoughts towards price drops to counter any Fury sales? I want to replace my aging 670, but $410-420cdn (on sale) for a 970 is still a lot (980's are $610-650cdn on sale, 980TI's north of $800cdn).

edit: I don't want a repeat of when I bought my 9800Pro for $330cdn in 2004, and 2 weeks later the X800's and 6800's came out. lol

Its not like my 980s are running poorly hehe, Seems like Witcher 3 could use a boost and with some the newer triple A titles on the Horizon I like to stay Maxxed out at 1440P. Gsync has been a blessing thou, I love my ROG Swift to death!

Does gsync actually make that big of a difference ?

Does gsync actually make that big of a difference , yes it is awesome! I will never go back to AMD unless they had something as Game changing. Havnt messed around with Freesync yet so I can't give a opinion on it but man what a difference games are with Gsync running.

Havnt messed around with Freesync yet so I can't give a opinion on it but man what a difference games are with Gsync running.

Freesync is bugged and the monitor selection is.. not good shall we say.

Nvidia has been releasing x80 cards on a reliable 14 to 16 month cycle, with the sole exception being the 480 which was 6 months late. Fourteen months after the GTX 980 release is November 2015. Ignore the Titan and x80 Ti releases, because those do not affect the x80 cycle.

I would go the 980ti SLI route. Less issues in SLI (specially tri-sli....god it can be a nightmare).

Or wait it out for fall when Nvidia releases a refresh. If you can hold out that long. Really depends on how much power you need.

Since you are using Gsync.....Yea I would go with 980ti's in SLI over tri-sli 980's.

My predictions

960ti - seems like safe bet
970ti - possibly something to better position themselves against 390
another cut down gm 200 sku - it's hard to belive they don't have stuff with more than 2 blocks failed on 600mm^2 silicon.

Nvidia has been releasing x80 cards on a reliable 14 to 16 month cycle, with the sole exception being the 480 which was 6 months late. Fourteen months after the GTX 980 release is November 2015. Ignore the Titan and x80 Ti releases, because those do not affect the x80 cycle.

Really? The 680 came out when? March 2012. When did the next new x04 die come out? When the 980 released, September 2014. That's 30 months.

Really? The 680 came out when? March 2012. When did the next new x04 die come out? When the 980 released, September 2014. That's 30 months.

I have no idea why you think the 780 doesn't exist, so I have no answer to your argument.

They might even release a dual Titan X card to go against AMD's Fury X2 card that is suppose to arrive in August I believe.

I have no idea why you think the 780 doesn't exist, so I have no answer to your argument.

i was basing my point on the fact they didnt release a new gpu die in 30 months. all of the 700 series except the 750 were rebrands.

Half-Life 3 confirmed........

Free coupon with the next NVidia GPU release.:D

i was basing my point on the fact they didnt release a new gpu die in 30 months. all of the 700 series except the 750 were rebrands.
The GK110, which the GTX 780 used, is the same chip the Titan used. The GTX 680 used GK104, which was used in the GTX 770. The GTX 780 did use a new die, with twice as many transistors as GK104 and 50% more CUDA cores. The die size of the GK110 was 551 square milimeters, while GK104 was 294. They may have been derived from the same architecture, but both dies were not the same.

I think we're almost certain to see a full gm200 with higher clocks than titan x at some point. Maybe even an updated 970 ti that is a slight step down from the 980 ti.

Looks like im gonna sit tight for a little longer, The smart side of my Brain says Wait for Pascal, The Fun side of my Brain says by the Ti's.

Looks like im gonna sit tight for a little longer, The smart side of my Brain says Wait for Pascal, The Fun side of my Brain says by the Ti's.

With SLI 980s it would be pointless for you to buy 2 x 980 Ti, especially with the ROG Swift. I used to have 2 x OG Titans and to be honest, I regret getting rid of them and getting these Titan X's because at 1440p, I don't notice much difference in any of my games but I'm still out $1000 after selling the OG Titans. So hold on to your stuff for big Pascal, it will be a better upgrade.

I don't know, with pricing adjustments incoming for those 980's I think I'd sell them while you can still get a higher rate for them. At 1440 6GB is nice to have, some games will make use of that space @ 1440p especially in SLI.

That said, if you're completely satisfied with the performance you're getting in what you play there's no point in upgrading. Personally I'm happy with a single Ti with a 1440p G-sync monitor, but YMMV. ;)

I guess I'll hold out, maybe once the next Windows ships I'll see what that brings to the game in terms of new features and performance. To tell you the truth I'm not that excited about Skylake with it only being 4 core at first and only 20 pci lanes. Pascal and Nvlink seem so far off...

They might even release a dual Titan X card to go against AMD's Fury X2 card that is suppose to arrive in August I believe.

Titan XX is certain since they can't afford AMD claiming the fastest card under the sun when dual Fury gets released. Dual Fury was announced for Autumn, Titan XX has to be released just before it to steal the attention. The only open issue is if it will be based on the 980 Ti or full TiX chips. I tend to think it will be the TiX chips but paired with 8 GB of memory each to make the price competing better with the dual Fury.

Hum GM200 cannot support 8GB. It is either 6GB or 12GB.

Titan Z was launched at a whopping $3K. As far as I am concerned, dual Titans are no more than showroom throphees.

If there are enough GM200 chips left over, I could see a dual GPU 990 being released. But otherwise, I don't see much point of a refresh. Let 28nm die already!

Hum GM200 cannot support 8GB. It is either 6GB or 12GB. Titan Z was launched at a whopping $3K. As far as I am concerned, dual Titans are no more than showroom throphees.

Titan Z was entirely different beast. It has full DP and thus its price had to be set high
to avoid cannibalisation of NV professional cards. This problem does not exist with GM200 chips. Regarding the memory size, how it is that 980Ti has 8GB?

If there are enough GM200 chips left over, I could see a dual GPU 990 being released. But otherwise, I don't see much point of a refresh. Let 28nm die already!

Releasing TiXX has plenty of prestige factor which is important in this business. NV can not afford AMD having the most powerful card, it would be huge damage from the marketing point. As it looks now, NV has to release the TiXX and moreover its price must be competitive, no Titan Z pricing in this round.

The GK110, which the GTX 780 used, is the same chip the Titan used. The GTX 680 used GK104, which was used in the GTX 770. The GTX 780 did use a new die, with twice as many transistors as GK104 and 50% more CUDA cores. The die size of the GK110 was 551 square milimeters, while GK104 was 294. They may have been derived from the same architecture, but both dies were not the same.

So 7 series was from the same family. Therefore, it follows that the 980Ti is from the same family as 980, they could have easily call it whatever they want (notice how they skipped the 8 series?). It was a 30 month wait between the last architecture change from 6 series to 9 series. This time, die shrink, new architecture, and HBM, expect 30 months or longer. I'm not surprised.

Full retail availability is probably not for another month for both Nvidia and AMD. Why would they release a new card 3 months after? Wait for the rumor of a new card then wait 6 months after that. Late 2016 for small Pascal (power saving), then a year later medium Pascal, then the big one in three year.

So 7 series was from the same family. Therefore, it follows that the 980Ti is from the same family as 980, they could have easily call it whatever they want (notice how they skipped the 8 series?). It was a 30 month wait between the last architecture change from 6 series to 9 series. This time, die shrink, new architecture, and HBM, expect 30 months or longer. I'm not surprised.

Full retail availability is probably not for another month for both Nvidia and AMD. Why would they release a new card 3 months after? Wait for the rumor of a new card then wait 6 months after that. Late 2016 for small Pascal (power saving), then a year later medium Pascal, then the big one in three year.

I'll refresh you on what the OP is asking:

"Thoughts on Nvidia releasing a another card this fall Refresh of 980s?
Guys I know Pascal hopefully will arrive late in 2016 but do you thing Nvidia will have something to offer this Fall?"

My prediction is yes, a new x80 should come out between November 2015 and February 2016, and I don't think Nvidia wants to miss the holiday buying season. Neither of us are talking about Pascal in 2015. I wouldn't expect a Pascal x80 until between January and April 2017.

Your 30 month wait between architecture changes is completely compatible with x80 cards being released every 15 months.

Is it possible to get more out of Maxwell architecture though? Can't imagine them being able to add any significant number of additional cores on current 28nm.

Pretty sure the next release will be 990 dual GPU to counter the Fury X2.

Well I'll keep putting my $s away for the upgrade. Sitting on about $2500 towards full upgrade and at this pace I'll have over $4k next year without the wife even noticing lol. Maybe I'll ditch the Rog Swift and go for a 34in Gsync this fall.

I'll refresh you on what the OP is asking:
"Thoughts on Nvidia releasing a another card this fall Refresh of 980s?
Guys I know Pascal hopefully will arrive late in 2016 but do you thing Nvidia will have something to offer this Fall?" My prediction is yes, a new x80 should come out between November 2015 and February 2016, and I don't think Nvidia wants to miss the holiday buying season. Neither of us are talking about Pascal in 2015. I wouldn't expect a Pascal x80 until between January and April 2017.Your 30 month wait between architecture changes is completely compatible with x80 cards being released every 15 months.

Pascal 2017? That sounds depressive and less likely.

Is it possible to get more out of Maxwell architecture though? Can't imagine them being able to add any significant number of additional cores on current 28nm.

They maxed 28 nm, it is not economical to make 10 bln transistor chip. Thus the only way is 16 nm Pascal next and the 16 nm is at a very advanced stage.

Thus Pascal in my view should be the Spring'16 stuff, maybe not the top-end Pascal but still.

Pretty sure the next release will be 990 dual GPU to counter the Fury X2.

Yeah, that's my 100% bet. The only question is if they dare to produce collosal and costly TiXX with 24 GB of VRAM or dual 980 Ti alike with 12 GB.

Back