Thoughts on Installing Windows 8.1 with Ryzen 7

r-486

Gawd
I want to build a Ryzen 7 machine with an NVME drive for work and will not be used for gaming. As many of you probably already know, Microsoft is trying to stop support for updates for anything older than Windows 10 for Ryzen 7 CPUs. There is a patch out to fix that. Just wondering if I'd be screwing myself down the road installing 8.1 or not. Just not a fan with all the telemetry and stuff.

Install 8.1 or 10?

I want to build a Ryzen 7 machine with an NVME drive for work and will not be used for gaming. As many of you probably already know, Microsoft is trying to stop support for updates for anything older than Windows 10 for Ryzen 7 CPUs. There is a patch out to fix that. Just wondering if I'd be screwing myself down the road installing 8.1 or not. Just not a fan with all the telemetry and stuff.

Install 8.1 or 10?

I say it depends on how much effort you want to go through to get it to work. Who's to say Microsoft doesn't somehow undo that patch and you have to go through more work to get 8.1 to work the way you want ? Even if you overcome that they can just keep fucking you over again and again. Plus 8.1 will be out of mainstream support soon so expect just more and more BS. I hate 10 but it's a tough call.

Install 8.1 or 10?

If you already have a 10 license, install that right away. If you have a Windows 8 product key, install 10 and then use the Windows 8.1 Product key to activate the installation. The only reason I can see you sticking with 8.1 on this work computer is if you have a specific program that does not support Windows 10 at all.

I certainly appreciate the resistance to telemetry, but there's a tradeoff; you are talking about potentially putting your system in the middle of a pissing match between MS and the CPU patch folks.

If you are willing to accept the potential future headaches of future MS patch shens, then 8.1 might be the way to go. If, instead, you don't want to spend your time and energy keeping MS behaving as you like, then 10.

My take on it anyway.

Even Windows 8 still has product activation. I say use Windows 2000 to truly have a bullshit-free Windows.

Even Windows 8 still has product activation. I say use Windows 2000 to truly have a bullshit-free Windows.

Wow I had forgotten that. I went from 98 to XP and couldn't even remember if there was ever a product key or activation. Makes me want to put together a Windows 2000 system now.

Back