Thoughts on how bad the monitor market will be effected by the pandemic ?

There was a thread on this prior but things have rapidly changed day to day..

The world is basically shut down for a while(China even more so)
no one is launching products outside of maybe Apple, MS, and Sony. Are we on hold for monitors for the rest of 2020?

bananadude

Limp Gawd
I think we will start to see monitors with severe BLB, glow, smearing/black crush, dirt/dust under the panels, poor/non-existent HDR implementation, and ever increasing prices despite all of the above... oh, wait a minute...

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I have a feeling you're going to see a delay in just about anything that has parts manufactured in China. Their factories were basically shut down for a month earlier this year. If things do launch on time, I'd expect quantities to be limited.

XoR_

Gawd
Imho nothing else interesting made in China will come to us this year... I hope so :depressed:

Comixbooks

Ignore Me
I think we will start to see monitors with severe BLB, glow, smearing/black crush, dirt/dust under the panels, poor/non-existent HDR implementation, and ever increasing prices despite all of the above... oh, wait a minute...
LoL already is the norm

zehoo

Limp Gawd
There was a temporary increase in demand I think in Australia as people were buying 2nd monitors to work from home. After that probably a drop in sales and no return to normalisation for at least 1-2 years.

No doubt a number of businesses will go bust and the second hand market will be flooded.

Since my industry is shut down currently, the longer it takes to come back online the more likely I’ll put off getting the LG cx48 this year, as well as a new GPU. I may even cancel my 240hz spectrum monitor order assuming I can get a refund of the deposit.

Last edited:

Skott

2[H]4U
Well I think even without the virus and shut down finding the CX48 the first 2 or 3 months would probably be hard because supply is always a bit slow at first but now with the world shut down you can add however many weeks/months (yet to be seen) to that. So yeah expect delays in finding them in any great stock first few months. Wouldn't surprise me if they miss the June release date and that gets pushed back.

Panel

Limp Gawd
Yes there is a pandemic coming to the entire LCD monitor market. And it's coming this June. Experts are saying there's no cure either.
View attachment 231251
As much as I'd love that to be true, the same sentiment as ever rings true for 90% of PC users (myself included): That's still way too big.

I wish I could use this, I really do, but I can't. I've finally got a lounge room that needs a new TV, but I'd opt for 55" there… which, in a cruel ironic twist, is the size that's been available for the last half decade. Of course…