Thoughts on EA Origin 1 Year In (WARNING: Long)

Dolor

Limp Gawd
I thought I would put up a post as I am curious as to people’s thoughts on the EA Origin DRM service roughly one year after launch (I think). My own thoughts on it are below…

Where I am coming from:

Full disclosure, I come at this as someone who is fairly new to the PC gaming space. Only in the last 2 or so years have I really invested myself into the PC gaming community and all that entails. Before that, when I wasn’t studying, I played a fair amount of WoW and some light strategy games like Civilization and Rome: TW. I only found out about Steam back in the summer of 2011, but I have already purchased more than 250 games on it through various sales and bundles. I bought BF3 on day one because of the visuals and the tech, played about 30 hours of it through late 2011, really enjoyed it, but have never gone back to it. Since then, I have not purchased or played anything else on Origin.

Throughout my limited experience with Origin, I did not have any issues as far as bugs go or problems with playing BF3. Nevertheless, my opinion on it has evolved over the last year from essentially neutral to fairly hostile to the point now that even though there are several games coming out that I would definitely want to play that seem destined to be Origin exclusives (SimCity, DA3: Inquisition, etc), I am very unlikely to pick them up at nearly any price.

Before I begin my reasons why my opinion has changed, I will state that I currently hold the view that Steam is a better service than Origin in nearly every way. Part of that is because Steam has been around longer and has a significantly larger audience, so in some ways, it may be an unfair comparison, but fairness is ultimately immaterial to the fact that Steam is currently the superior service. Furthermore, while Origin may be improving (don’t really know as I haven’t heard anything), it seems to me if anything that Steam is improving faster with Steam Big Picture Mode (which is quite nice), Steam Greenlight, increasing numbers of excellent games with Steam Workshop support, Steam on Linux, etc.

Clearly there are DRM purists who will say that all DRM methods are bad and should all be treated as such. Personally, I wish Steam and others would abandon the DRM parts of their service (decent off-line mode for Steam at least please) as I view it as anti-consumer and counterproductive, but I view Steam specifically as providing enough value to me that I am willing to put up with occasional minor inconveniences because of their DRM.

Anyway, here are my reasons why I have come to dislike Origin:

• The existence of Origin only marginally improves competitiveness in the digital downloading marketplace and does so in the worst possible way. From my reading of the situation, many people seem to start from the opinion that Origin is a competitor to Steam and so it is therefore clearly increasing competitiveness in the digital downloading space. While this is true along a few margins, it is far from the complete story. Origin primarily entices customers through the sale of its exclusives only on Origin. This is actually a monopolistic practice and the opposite of increasing competitiveness of the market*. Increasing competitiveness means providing a better service at a similar price or a similar service at a lower price. Exclusivity is a way to circumvent having to offer a better value proposition. Since Origin is unable (or more likely unwilling) to compete with Steam on service, it can only claim to compete on price. While Origin has had some decent sales in the last year, it has been at best mimicking what Steam has already been doing for some time and on a much larger library. Consequently, Origin is at best only marginally increasing competition, but…
  • Origin further fractures the PC gaming market and therefore hurts overall PC gaming. This is the crux of my distaste for Origin. Before Origin, Steam was nearly the only player in digital distribution. Clearly, this situation typically has its drawbacks due to lack of competitiveness, but one benefit was that because Steam was so large, the vast majority of the games and the vast majority of PC gamers were a part of Steam. This phenomenon was self-reinforcing as more gamers joined Steam because lots of games and gamers were already on Steam, and more games were rolled out on Steam because of the large user base. By forcing gamers to move to Origin to play their exclusive games, EA has reduced that reinforcing momentum that I think was at least partly responsible for the increased attractiveness of PC gaming of late to developers and publishers. What’s worse is they are doing it in the worst way by forcibly tying Origin exclusivity to their blockbuster titles. It would be one thing (and a healthy thing) if they were competing by making Origin the better place to play PC games or even the cheapest place to get the games people want, but they are instead going about it in the most anti-competitive way possible. One of my favorite features of Steam is that I can get on and immediately know who of my friends is on and playing, whether or not there are opportunities to play together, etc. Fortunately for me, most of my friends are more or less only on Steam, but if a significant portion of my friends were playing games on Origin, I would be much less likely to find out on any given night who was on and would miss chances to play with them more often reducing the overall value of PC gaming to me as a pastime. I think that is now being repeated many times over as EA forces PC gamers to split their attention onto Origin if they want to play EA's games and thereby decreasing the overall value of PC gaming and reducing the value PC gaming has to offer to gamers.
  • EA has questionable resolve when it comes to PC gaming. Fortunately, I have never fallen victim to having a server shutdown on a game I wanted to play, but I have heard the stories of EA and others doing that on numerous occasions. What’s more is it doesn’t take more than perusing a couple of articles on EA to recognize the kind of company they are. Sure, PC gaming is hot right now at least in part because the current consoles are ancient (and also in no small part because of Steam making it easier to get into PC gaming for people like me), but next year when the new consoles come out and there is renewed interest and increasing sales in those platforms, how much confidence does anyone have in EA continuing to focus resources on PC games? Sure, it could happen, but I place a lot more stock in Valve focusing on the PC than EA. No company is trustworthy, but some have been proven untrustworthy, and given EA’s track record, they are a company that should be viewed with the utmost of distrust.
  • My friends aren’t on Origin, most don’t know what it is, I have already persuaded them to try out Steam, and I resent the idea that I need to now convince them to get another service for one or two games we could play together. I don’t want to have to do that again. Of all my friends, I am by far the most engaged gaming consumer. I am writing this post after all, but my friends (the ones that even game at all) consist of mostly former console gamers who like how simple Steam is, my wife (God love her and her addiction to Defense Grid) who plays casually, and some of my extended family who were either PC gamers from many years ago or never had a PC powerful enough to play anything fun (and now even their laptop can). Over the course of the last year, I have convinced about 5 such people to join Steam. As the most technically literate one of the bunch, there would have to be one freaking amazing game to make me go through the effort of getting them all signed up for another service. It’s just not going to happen.

My Preferred Solution:

It’s easy to point out all of Origin’s problems, but what is the solution? No problem, eliminate the Origin exclusives. Origin doesn’t need to close up shop or give up. Just give customers real competition by actually competing with Steam on services or else on price. EA wants 100% of the cut? Fine, then they should do something to make me want to give it to them*. I don't think I am unique in this, but I have already personally demonstrated (with Dragon Age: Origins and Need for Speed among others) that I am willing to pay more for the same game on Steam than I could have on Origin just so I can play it on the platform of my choice – the one that all of my friends are already on. Give me that option on other games (like Dragon Age 2), and I would as well. But simply give customers options. Worried that you won’t get me to pay for your overpriced DLC? Do what Crytek did with Crysis 2, and come out with an “Ultimate/Maximum” edition with the DLC wrapped in automatically. Just give me the option to buy your game the way I want to, and I will more likely than not give you some of my money when the price is right for me. Refuse to give me the options I want, and I will be more than happy to dig into my 150 game Steam backlog.

*Note: I recognize that I am giving Steam a bit of a pass on exclusives even though they also have several exclusive games in large part because they are tying their exclusives to the superior service of Steam. In all likelihood, this would mean that Steam is where customers would have bought those games anyway, so it isn’t as anticompetitive as forcing someone onto the inferior service. However, if their service was as inferior as Origin’s, they would not and should not get such a pass.

TLDR.

Edit: Let me rephrase that, after the first sentence, I realized I had no interest in reading a page of opinions.

TLDR.

Edit: Let me rephrase that, after the first sentence, I realized I had no interest in reading a page of opinions.

OP just drank about 6 redbull's? Good lord...
What are you guys even bothering replying for? He didn't post a giant block of text. He used correct grammar, broke his points down by paragraphs, etc. If you can't take the time to read a well-written post with redeeming content, don't bother replying. It isn't that hard. Move on to the next thread.

As for your points OP, I for the most part agree. As much as I love Steam (I own nearly 200 games on there), I understand that whenever companies become monopolies in their respective fields the product usually degrades. Steam has faults as well, such as customer service that takes forever to reply. Customer service is the only area I feel EA has edged Steam with Origin....the rest of the platform is pretty crummy.

Origin only has EA games Steam has just about everything. I think that makes origin have little to no impact on steam if you ask me. its existence just makes us mad for needing to have both

Origin only has EA games Steam has just about everything. I think that makes origin have little to no impact on steam if you ask me. its existence just makes us mad for needing to have both

Pretty much. It really doesn't bother me too much, except for the goddamn pop-ups advertising games each time I start my computer, which I cannot for the life of me figure out how to disable. I've looked all through the options, etc. Other than that, it's pretty much invisible unless I need it, it's not that bad.

I prefer origin to steam for one reason. In my country origin has retail prices of about 99-119 pln (from $33 to $40) on most of the games and has old wa games at bargain prices, while steam sells games here for about twice the price.

TLDR.

Then an online messageboard or forum probably isn't the best place to hang around, chum.

It doesn't suck but how many of these things do we need? I dread every game studio and developer making their own "Steam." Just gets silly after a point.

only reason I dislike Origin is because I don't like having more then 1 digital download service installed...Origin works fine and I've never had any issues with it but I don't want this to set a dangerous precedent where every major publisher decides to form their own exclusive digital service

Pretty much. It really doesn't bother me too much, except for the goddamn pop-ups advertising games each time I start my computer, which I cannot for the life of me figure out how to disable. I've looked all through the options, etc. Other than that, it's pretty much invisible unless I need it, it's not that bad.

this is how you can disable that:

64566264.png

Eh. Origin has more games currently than Steam had in its first few years. I believe for Origin to be competitive in the marketplace they are going to have to entice either indie games or other developers/producers that their platform is a viable alternative to Steam. I am not sure that will happen quickly, but I do believe EA will begin to add other non-EA titles to its ranks in the next few years. It is inevitable if they truly want to compete with Steam.

Amazon usually has just as good or better deals on Origin games that register either by putting in a code or calling customer service.

A lot of missed points. You can buy Origin titles from other places, just like Steamworks titles. So they do not have a monopoly on their games. Yes, all EA games require Origin. But so do all Valve games (and others like Deux Ex).

Valve pushed Steam through a blockbuster title just like EA with BF3. The difference was that Origin was better out of the box than Steam was.

As for Origin shutting down game servers that applies to just about every game. SWAT 4 recently had its servers shut down. I can name many others that have had similar fates.

I do prefer Steam though.

The difference was that Origin was better out of the box than Steam was.

Actually...No. Remember EA Download Mananger/EADownloader? That is what Origin used to be. It has been around for years. Origin is a big redesign of that, but the redesign started before they rebeanded it. EADM was pretty crap for years.

I think the stupidest thing EA did was separate Origin from battlelog. Instead of being a competitor to steam it's just a shitty DRM we have to use to play Battlefield 3 and whatever games we stole from EA using coupon tricks.

Can't force love EA, you gotta earn it.

Valve pushed Steam through a blockbuster title just like EA with BF3. The difference was that Origin was better out of the box than Steam was.

I attempted to address that in the OP. As I wasn't really doing real PC gaming back when Steam first came into existence, I can't comment on its first few months/years, however, my point is basically that Steam is better now than Origin is now. Maybe in a few years Origin will be as good as Steam is now or as good as Steam is then, but right now, games exclusively tied to Origin right now are worse than they would be if they could be tied to Steam. My point is that Origin exclusives are bad for the customer since they are a worse product with no change in the price. Because they force you to a worse service and in the process fracture the PC gaming community (further), they force PC gamers to have a worse experience and so are detrimental to PC gaming as a whole.

:(

I need SWAT 5 yesterday. Ridiculously overdue.

<end sidebar>

Off topic, but SWAT 5 was in development then canceled. Takedown has one of the guys from SWAT 3 working on it. :)

I attempted to address that in the OP. As I wasn't really doing real PC gaming back when Steam first came into existence, I can't comment on its first few months/years, however, my point is basically that Steam is better now than Origin is now. Maybe in a few years Origin will be as good as Steam is now or as good as Steam is then, but right now, games exclusively tied to Origin right now are worse than they would be if they could be tied to Steam. My point is that Origin exclusives are bad for the customer since they are a worse product with no change in the price. Because they force you to a worse service and in the process fracture the PC gaming community (further), they force PC gamers to have a worse experience and so are detrimental to PC gaming as a whole.

Agreed, Steam is better. But for the games I use Origin for I honestly do not have any issues. There is nothing I am missing in Origin. Off site game save data back up? Check. Quick downloads? Typically slower than Steam, but my last game I got was 5MB a second download which is the fastest download I have ever had. Works? Yes.

Again, if given the option I would put BF3, ME3 ect. on Steam without a doubt.

I have used Origin since BF3 came out. I wasn't one of the holdouts like many of the ridiculous people on this forum.

My only complaint about Origin (and I am not comparing it to Steam) is that you can't gift purchases.

I'd like sales to come more often but that really isn't a complaint about the service.

I love that I have been able to register a few of the boxed EA games I have bought in the past year.

Steam and Origin are the same. Just Steam has the Valve asskissing defense force to make everything into a positive somehow, and EA has a 30 minute hate because they are this evil company that destroys the world by making games. I use Steam mostly because it has the most stuff, and only have a few games on Origin so barely ever launch it. I did add some of the EA games I own to someone elses account (so we got 2 copies :D) and add all of them there so I can launch without anything (as Origin games don't all need Origin to launch so it's like a "DRM free" copy). But really they're the same thing. Just one doesn't have emotional attachment for most people. I'm sure if i used Origin more it would have more apparent issues, but it's just a thing that launches other things and downloads them... I suppose it doesn't have much other stuff, but then again I entirely ignore the community tabs on Steam (I have no idea why they added that or what their obsession with being the gaming wing of Facebook is :D). I do prefer having my stuff in one place (so Steam), but as i leave the other thing logged in and never notice it, it bothers me exactly 0%.

Though one thing it might do is make Valve improve the shitty client. It does seem to be getting worse with bloat and lag and the stupid download queuing thing. If they had less of a monopoly it might convince them to add worthwhile features (like the download management they promised ages ago) and fix stuff. :D

My only complaint about Origin (and I am not comparing it to Steam) is that you can't gift purchases.

Pretty sure you can somehow... I bought C&C3 for me and a friend...

edit, you can!

Last edited:
Very misleading title if you ask me. The OP was about why Steam is soooo much better than Origin. I have both and while they each have their faults and good points, this was just another "Origin sucks, Steam rules" post just like every time someone posts an Origin sale in the Hot Deals subforum.

I have said this in probably every thread this has come up in, but here it goes again.

If you want EA to stop with the Origin exclusives, STOP BUYING their games on Origin. Simply refuse to use Origin. I have, and don't miss any of it really. Way too many games out there for me to be bothered with the a handful of EA titles that require Origin. Spitting out complaints while you hand your cash over will not make anything change. Not buying their games may not either, but handing them your cash certainly will not.. And should enough people stop buying, they will at least rethink their position.

I really don't have much against Origin, except that I simply refuse to have yet another service I have to log into to play my games. Steam, and GFWL, is bad enough. Oh, and Origin is the name of a kick ass studio that EA, purchased, raped, and then discarded in a bloody heap in the nearest ditch.

I have said this in probably every thread this has come up in, but here it goes again.

If you want EA to stop with the Origin exclusives, STOP BUYING their games on Origin. Simply refuse to use Origin. I have, and don't miss any of it really. Way too many games out there for me to be bothered with the a handful of EA titles that require Origin. Spitting out complaints while you hand your cash over will not make anything change. Not buying their games may not either, but handing them your cash certainly will not.. And should enough people stop buying, they will at least rethink their position.

I really don't have much against Origin, except that I simply refuse to have yet another service I have to log into to play my games. Steam, and GFWL, is bad enough. Oh, and Origin is the name of a kick ass studio that EA, purchased, raped, and then discarded in a bloody heap in the nearest ditch.

This does absolutely nothing. Oh no, 1 person dropped us but we still added a couple million more new games. You are definitely going to hurt them.

When companies limit their games to their own digital distribution it forces people to use it. If the game is big enough it will still sell millions of copies. Even if thousands bitch about how bad the service is, many will ultimately still end up using it if the game is good. People bitching about it really don't have a say, unless you can rally enough people to prove them a point. And honestly I don't think you could.

I don't have to consciously do anything. I literally only used Origin for BF3 and now that That's gone DLC I have to remind myself I even have an origin account. The failure they made is in not giving you any reason to use it outside of the few games they shill.

I also fear about other clients. Maybe Ubisoft will push their garbage Youplay and make it more like Origin/Steam. Hopefully Steam/Origin will become too big and no one else will compete against them for the time being.

Wow, when are we going to see it?! :D

They are planning for an Alpha build In late Q1-2 2013 for kickstarters if I am not mistaken.

This does absolutely nothing. Oh no, 1 person dropped us but we still added a couple million more new games. You are definitely going to hurt them.

When companies limit their games to their own digital distribution it forces people to use it. If the game is big enough it will still sell millions of copies. Even if thousands bitch about how bad the service is, many will ultimately still end up using it if the game is good. People bitching about it really don't have a say, unless you can rally enough people to prove them a point. And honestly I don't think you could.

You are prolly correct, but just like with my voting tendencies that seldom see my candidate in office, I am going to continue to try. The only way I know how to even possibly affect the desired change in this situation, is to refuse to give them any money, explain why, loudly, and attempt to persuade other to do likewise. Remote as my chances are, I am not just going to give up.

Origin has been around for 8 years. Their failure to take market share from Steam is because they are ran by idiots who don't know jack or shit about PC gaming.

Origin has no compelling games for me outside of the Battlefield series so I don't view them as a true competitor to Steam. As a digital download service for BF3 it's been fine. Origin actually has a feature that I'd like Steam to incorporate: allow the game install directory to be on a different drive than Steam is installed on. With Origin you can do this but Steam you can't.

How come everyone doesn't pile on Blizzard for making Starcraft 2 exclusive to their download service?

Origin has no compelling games for me outside of the Battlefield series so I don't view them as a true competitor to Steam. As a digital download service for BF3 it's been fine. Origin actually has a feature that I'd like Steam to incorporate: allow the game install directory to be on a different drive than Steam is installed on. With Origin you can do this but Steam you can't.

How come everyone doesn't pile on Blizzard for making Starcraft 2 exclusive to their download service?

You can do this. Go google how.

Knitpickety are we? ;)

Yes! Though it's good to be correct! :D

Though they might have used it because they probably already had a trademark on the word Origin...and something so simple probably would be already trademarked (which means money). Or they could kind of claim prior art or something.

Pretty sure you can somehow... I bought C&C3 for me and a friend...

edit, you can!

If possible, I'd love to know how. I have searched for it and most the posts I find are from a year ago but as of then, they didn't offer this option.

Your link as do most of the ones I have found to Origin that even touch this topic all lead to Origin's front page. I have tried it signed it and not and the same thing.

Back