thoughts on auto o/c vs fixed o/c

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
So having built my first ryzem system a asrock b450 pro 4 and ryzen 2600X chip, I like many others am amazed at the value for money vs intel and the superior turbo clock system.

However I do note that if CPB is disabled, the voltage is a very low 1.08v under full load and cpu temp maxes out at 44C.

The extra 400-600mhz from turbo pumps out an extra 0.3v and temps go up 20C under load. So power and heat efficiency goes out the window. Although the chip still remains within TDP limits tho so its not like its using crazy power or anything.

I have noticed tho there seens to be a possibly happy medium I would be happy with so.

1.08v 3600mhz
1.30v 4050mhz <-- this one
1.35v 4150mhz
1.39v 4250mhz <- only ever seen this on a 2 core load but the higher voltage is applied to all cores.

I pretty much never see a load that will use 3.6ghz clocks, its basically either idle or in turbo clocks. The cpu scheduler ramps up clock speeds very rapidly so even low cpu loads utilise turbo clocks.

Also I am glad amd have min clocks of 2.2ghz, the min of 800mhz on intel cpu's is way too low and affects responsiveness of apps too much.

I would love for this to be tunable somehow, I know on intel e.g. on the balanced windows power profile, the cpu needs higher cpu usage to ramp up, in full performance profile it behaves like the ryzen where opening notepad will put you in turbo clocks, but on balanced you actually need to put moderate load on the system which I prefer, however on the balanced profile ryzen is uber sensitive and as a result there is a lot of voltage spikes up to 1.35v and beyond.

Setting a 4ghz manual clock in the bios with something like 1.3v I am kinda considering but its like 10-20% wantng to do it I feel the auto o/c is pretty damn good, I would prefer instead to somehow adjust the behaviour so it needs more cpu load before using turbo clocks if thats possible is that what p-state tuning does?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but for Ryzen your options are auto, fixed OC (clock fixed, voltage load variable), or creating custom Pstates with a hex editor. It may be worth testing with a Kill-o-watt to see if your efficiency concerns amount to much at the wall.

I use the chips auto over clock and I get good results. Especially in the matter of gaming because it yields a good solid high single or dual core overclock.

..............;

1.08v 3600mhz
1.30v 4050mhz <-- this one
1.35v 4150mhz
1.39v 4250mhz <- only ever seen this on a 2 core load but the higher voltage is applied to all cores.

....................:

Ok, posted my experience in OC section ( OC Adventures..... ), may be useful to you dude:)
My R5 2600 produces : CPB=disabled - with override ( fixed V ) = All-Core Load@

1.100v 3400 - 3800Ghz P95 ~ 20mins Full-Load-Floor ( F.L.F )

1.219v 4.00Ghz F.L.F ( edge-case analysis suggest ~ 1.169-1.187v absolute Max minimum V @ Gaming stable, not P95/CBR15! )

1.287v 4.100Ghz F.L.F @ CB R15 + Gaming stable ( OC edge-case analysis suggests ~ 1.244-1.256V Max minimum - incomplete LLC Matrix! )

1.362v 4.200Ghz F.L.F @ Gaming stable only

1.469v 4.325Ghz F.L.F @ initial benchmark ( Gaming only ) tests. :-(

Vdroop @ ~ 0.0500v killing my ability to extract more....., can load to welcome screen; but no further! @ 4.400Ghz @ MBoard MaxV ( 1.550V)..................................; dont..:) i know, non-sense Hahahah.

Apparently............., i'm not [H]ard enough! :-(

Edit : Clarity.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere fixed OC (clocks) is better when using virtual machines so I keep mine fixed from day one. 3.7 in the winter, 3.6 summer. 1.275V to be on the safe side. Using the stock cooler as it blows over all surrounding components, VRMs in particular.
Also I kinda hate observing the frequency going up and down all the time :D . The thing is, Win10 (where I game) doesn't seem to respect what I set in BIOS and the frequency plays on my nerves constantly. In Server 2016 it's fixed and dandy.

I've read somewhere fixed OC (clocks) is better when using virtual machines so I keep mine fixed from day one. 3.7 in the winter, 3.6 summer. 1.275V to be on the safe side. Using the stock cooler as it blows over all surrounding components, VRMs in particular.
Also I kinda hate observing the frequency going up and down all the time :D . The thing is, Win10 (where I game) doesn't seem to respect what I set in BIOS and the frequency plays on my nerves constantly. In Server 2016 it's fixed and dandy.

Ahhhh, understand now dude, system-stable OC'ing; especially for work-based senarios..., cool:) purely game/browse/media consumption on pc, nothing work related.

The system in my signature is running all core at 4.3ghz at 1.365 volts..... I seen a temp decrease of almost 15c over using the turbo boost tech. I have to use lvl 1 llc to keep it stable but it is 24/7 Prime95 Stable at these settings. I am all for the manual OC.

The system in my signature is running all core at 4.3ghz at 1.365 volts..... I seen a temp decrease of almost 15c over using the turbo boost tech. I have to use lvl 1 llc to keep it stable but it is 24/7 Prime95 Stable at these settings. I am all for the manual OC.

Excellent......, like those results very much :).........; a clear 100Mhz + over my 2600 @ 4.200Ghz ( ~ 1.375v F.L.F :)

Like you, LLC 1 for max stability, especially in work-critical setups; also have seen some large...ish variations in temp when auto@ anything LOL
Now, with the edge-cases i've been chasing; trying to find both CB-R15 stable + Gaming; and only Gaming stable setups.

Quick eg :) 4.0Ghz @ P95 stable = LLC1 @ ~ 1.212 F.L.F. Gaming stable ( taken from generated LLC Matrix ) is ~ 1.169v - 1.187v..... significant!

Enough of a difference to be worthwhile chasing :)

Thanks for data point and share :) much appreciated!

Thanks again...................,need to put specs in signature!!!!! LOL, had me flummoxed :-(

Edit : spelling.

Specs are in signature... lol wonder why it is not showing up.... is there a setting that I am missing?.... anyway sig below.

Asus Rog Strix x470 Gaming
Amd Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz (All Core)1.365vcore
16GB TridentZ 13-13-13-13-28 1.4v
EVGA Titan X Superclocked /
Patreon Donator

Specs are in signature... lol wonder why it is not showing up.... is there a setting that I am missing?.... anyway sig below.

Asus Rog Strix x470 Gaming
Amd Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz (All Core)1.365vcore
16GB TridentZ 13-13-13-13-28 1.4v
EVGA Titan X Superclocked /
Patreon Donator

Mine dude :-}, not yours apologies !!!!!!!!

Msi X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ( bios 1.L0 )

AMD Ryzen R5 2600 @ 4.200Ghz - AC @ 1.375v ( Gaming stable, nothing else!:) )

2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200 CL-16 ( @ 14-15-14-14-27-46-227-1T 3200 ~ 1.4-1.45v ) E-die

Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8G ( not Gaming version ) @ Stock ~ -100mV.

Corsair CX 600M Psu ....., very happy with this :)

Samsung Evo SSD @ 500GB + 250GB ( 860 + 850 models ).

Edifier 1290DB desktop / shelf speakers ( ..., the wireless / bluetooth ones! ) :) excellent!

The star ***** LG 43UH650V ******* - 12bit 4-4-4 @ 60Hz @ FHD - 10bit 4-4-4@ 60Hz @ UHD :)

Need to double ram.........atleast, when prices fall will just add 16GB kit ( the 2B3200C16 spec ), but otherwise..., really really happy with system responsiveness and everything really :)

Cant wait for Matisse :)

Edit : clarity & spelling.

Last edited:
It turns out what I posted for both 4ghz and 4.2 were not stable, constant hard locks.

I succumbed and XFR is too hard to beat haha.

What I would probably still love to do is p-state tuning but I think XFR in itself is a really fine oiled machine.

Its a machine hosting virtual machines, so for pure efficiency I am still considering just running it with XFR off, so 3.6 is max clocks. But at the moment its running with XFR on and a basic -0.1v offset to voltage.

I expect I may have had more success if I could tune LLC as I am getting fair bit of voltage droop, but this board has no LLC option unlocked.

Overtime I have been trying to manually overclock my 2700x, was even able to get 4.25 across all cores... at 1.5v and 96c. Increased my CB score by 40 points.

Honestly I am trying to beat XFR but I am having trouble doing so.

Back