Thoughts on a USB-C monitor for my laptop?

Sartk

n00b
I have been looking at USB-C monitors like the Dell 2720DC as I understand they are able to output a higher resolution than HDMI, are they a good idea? For reference I have an ASUS vivobook 15 that I’m looking to connect it to. Any advice appreciated!

It's possible to output displayport via USB-C, but not all USB-C ports support displayport output, so make sure yours does. This mainly comes in handy with computers such as Apple laptops that focus on looks over features and obsessively try to only have as few ports on the laptop as possible.

If your laptop actually has an HDMI port, it would probably be better to just use that in most cases. You are unlikely to be limited in terms of resolution by using HDMI unless it's a really old laptop or you are going for a ridiculously high resolution. The Dell you mentioned only does 2560x1440 at 60Hz, which would be trivial for HDMI.

It's possible to output displayport via USB-C, but not all USB-C ports support displayport output, so make sure yours does. This mainly comes in handy with computers such as Apple laptops that focus on looks over features and obsessively try to only have as few ports on the laptop as possible.

If your laptop actually has an HDMI port, it would probably be better to just use that in most cases. You are unlikely to be limited in terms of resolution by using HDMI unless it's a really old laptop or you are going for a ridiculously high resolution. The Dell you mentioned only does 2560x1440 at 60Hz, which would be trivial for HDMI.
Thanks so much. For some reason I kept seeing that HDMI can only support up to 1920x1080, seems I was wrong...

Looking at the specs of the latest ASUS Vivobook 15, it doesn't appear it can do Displayport over USB-C.

1 x Type-C USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1)

Got it, thanks. Do you think the Dells 2718q or 2518d be decent HDMI options for my laptop?

Back