2GB Corsair Value PC3200
PNY 6800GT @ Ultra speeds
Audigy 2 ZS
1x120GB PATA HDD, 1x160GB SATA HDD

And here are some extra peripherals I have:
HP Deskjet 5550 Printer
60GB IPod photo
An old Intel webcam that came free with a PM subscription :p

As you can see, I have quite a simple little setup. My first impressions were quite good. I didn't have to insert the floppy disk to install my SATA drivers like I had been doing with my previous version of XP. This is a nice little minor convenience so I don't have to keep track of the driver floppy. I booted into an OS that was somewhat peppier than the 32 bit XP. I downloaded the 64-bit drivers from the nVidia website, Creative Labs site, and the MSI website for the motherboard drivers. The drivers for the nForce3 platform were listed as beta stage. I installed all the drivers, rebooted, and was greeted with no boot into Windows. I reinstalled the OS and traced the problem down to the driver set that MSI provided. I may have mistakenly downloaded and installed a 32-bit driver, but what I downloaded appeared to install correctly. If I did get a 64-bit driver, the result was totally inexcusable. Some inherent instability and probelms within a new platform is understandable; rendering the system inoperable is not. After I was up and running again, I never bothered to install the IDE drivers from the website.

After the first debacle, everything installed correctly. The video card and sound card have clearly marked 64-bit drivers available for download from Creative and nVidia. The printer was not so easy to install, as it required a workaround to achieve in a minimum degree of function. I am currently unable to change the print quality or even select what cartidge I want to use. Additionally, the workaround is now identifying my Deskjet 5550 as 9xx model. From what I understand, printer support in x64 is nonexistent at worst to crude at best. There is a very rudimentary level of support for my printer, but at least I am able to print. My iPod installed correctly and works fine. The old webcam isn't supported, but I've had it since at least 1999 and I won't fault the OS for not supporting an archaic peripheral.

All the software that I've installed since last night runs fine. I've tried Nero 6, BitTorrent, Azureus GUI, Office 2003, Firefox, and GAIM. I've also played Quake 4, Battlefield 2, and Age of Empires 3 with no perceptible differences between the OSes. Stability overall seems excellent; I've yet to see one BSOD or closed program. More extensive testing would be necessary to get a better idea of long-term stability, but the initial results for this OS appear very promising.

To be honest, I believe that many "problems" with this OS with relation to software usability are overblown or are fairly isolated cases. Older software may not run properly on this OS, but newer stuff will likely function. Hardware support is another story. There appear to be some real problems here. I noticed that many newer HP printers weren't supported at all under XP-x64 or required a workaround to achieve a basic level of support, while older models had dedicated drivers. This is not the fault of MS, but you may simply be out of luck if you have a newer model HP printer. I would wager that similar situations exist for major hardware brands, with older hardware or hardware from smaller manufacturers receiving late driver support if it gets any at all. This is a tremendous problem in itself. With that said, many people who have purchased the OS probably didn't check to make sure all that all of their hardware will be usable under XP-x64. I believe that many bad reviews for the OS come from people who were negligent in checking hardware compliance, but that doesn't excuse hardware manufacturers for not embracing this OS more fully. I couldn't recommend this OS to the casual user who has little computer knowledge. There are simply too many compatibility issues that will likely crop up and will just frustrate the end user. However, hobbyists and power users will likely find it quite pleasant to be free of many of the restrictions of 32-bit computing.

I love x64, I don't have to worry about drivers, because I just run 32bit on my laptop. If you are looking for an hp printer driver. They released beta drivers (available at www.planetamd64.com) that support every printer and scanner also. It worked flawlessly with my xp 1315xi psc. Some devices that don't have drivers include mobile phones, and calculated (found this out from need).

Besides drivers, it's great and has yet to crash on me once :eek:

I too like x64. Only three problems I have with it. There are not any, or I cant find any drivers for my digital camera. So I have to connect it to my daughters PC to get the pictures off. Then either email them to me, or disable my firewalls and transfer them. Daemon tools and AVG anti-virus wont work. Other than those three problems, everything else works great. All other drivers work, and programs that I have tried.

Glad to hear an up-to-date report on the driver scene. I'm about to throw myself into the x64 foray with a new rig over the next couple of weeks.

fallguy said:
I too like x64. Only three problems I have with it. There are not any, or I cant find any drivers for my digital camera. So I have to connect it to my daughters PC to get the pictures off. Then either email them to me, or disable my firewalls and transfer them. Daemon tools and AVG anti-virus wont work. Other than those three problems, everything else works great. All other drivers work, and programs that I have tried.

Daemon Tools is something that I use frequently and this will be an inconvenience to some people. I also found a review stating that Diskeeper didn't work and I couldn't get that working either. What digital camera are you running?

Ohh, thats right. I tried diskeeper, and it didnt work. Forgot about that.

My camera is a old Fujifilm Finepix 3800. Its a 3.3mp camera, that was pretty popular about 3 years ago. Regarded as one fo the best in its class. Sadly, the only driver I can find for it, is the original one.

MemoryInAGarden said:
Daemon Tools is something that I use frequently and this will be an inconvenience to some people. I also found a review stating that Diskeeper didn't work and I couldn't get that working either. What digital camera are you running?

Daemon Tools 4 with x64 support will be released within the next 12 days if you check the website. Diskeeper can easily be replaced by O&O defrag until it gets x64 support. And NOD32 is by far the best antivirus I have used. Running it on my box and never had a problem.

And look for a usb card reader, that's what I use.

I just recently moved to WinXP x64 and I have to say that I love it. I did have a problem after the install. I always recieved the ntldr.exe not found, no matter what I set the boot order to. Wierd thing is that it would boot into the OS no problem if the WinXP x64 cd was in the drive, again, no matter what the boot order was set to. Problem was solved by manually copying the ntldr.exe and another file over to the OS partition. So far the only issue I have had was finding AV software, but fourtunatly work provided me with a license for Symantec corperate edition v10 which ships with a 64 bit version on the install CD. On the free side, Avast offers free 64 bit virus software. Pretty much all software should run on winXP x64 unless it needs a driver. Also, I could not get cool and quiet to run correctly. it works fine except it doesn't ramp up all the way when I launch a game. I have heard that the Athlon X2 cpu drivers resolve the problem, but I have not tried them yet.

I run dual boot Pro/XP 64 bit on my 3800X2 at work. Actually I only run 64 bit, because despite the usual printer driver issues that limit some output selections, everything else runs great. This is a production machine. Lots if InDesign, Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator,, Acrobat, FTP, etc. Email running all the time under deadline. Except when I've futzed with the O/C, this OS has exceeded my expectations for stability and software compatability. It just feels better, despite the stupid lack of support for some things (such as Windows Update requiring that you open the 32 bit browser because Active X isn't supported in 64 bit).
While 64 bit may be seen as primarily an enthusiasts OS, due to the need to find stuff for yourself, it is far more capable than I expected, so I bought it before the trial expired....

Ive got a 7 card reader built into my 2405FP.. but it doesnt support the xD format. :(

We just got Windows XP x64 at work through our Action Pack subscription and i'm typing this from the machine we installed it on now. It went surprisingly smoothly. I was expecting to have more problems with drivers, but so far everything's running smoothly. I heard people were having problems with their Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI cards but it was automatically detected and i'm running off of our wireless network now. I'm in the middle of installing Office right now. The only drivers i had to install were printer drivers, and i used a workaround that HP provided on their website and now i can print just fine. Over the network, no less.

I'm going to install it tonight if time persist on my rig in my sig. I'm running 2 sound cards, hopefully it works, if not back to 32. :(

well linksys doesn't have drivers for my WUSB54GP nic so I can't upgrade yet :(

Yup X64 is great no problems. Biggest improvement I've seen is in Windows Media and video files.. Loads up instantly for me.. :D (or maybe its just me) Only issue is I cant go out and buy the X-fi till I know x64 drivers are available. :( wtf is creative doing.. :eek:

MemoryInAGarden said:
However, hobbyists and power users will likely find it quite pleasant to be free of many of the restrictions of 32-bit computing.
So what can I do with x64 that I can't do with 32 bit XP Pro?

MemoryInAGarden said:
How do you do a dual-boot config between 32-bit and 64-bit XP?

I created a new partition using PartitionMagic, then booted from the x64 CD and installed it to the new partition. The setup detects that you have another version of Windows installed, so it edits the boot.ini file to let you choose between operating systems when the computer starts.

EnderW said:
So what can I do with x64 that I can't do with 32 bit XP Pro?
MS XP 64 info.
Benefits of 64-bit Windows

Additional Performance and Scalability

1. Large memory support. Supports up to 16 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the Intel Itanium processor. This reduces the time for loading data into virtual memory or seeking, reading and writing to data storage devices, thus making applications run faster and more efficiently.

2. Optimized for the Intel Itanium processor family. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition has been optimized specifically for the Intel Itanium processor and benefits from its key features, such as the EPIC design. More information about the Intel Itanium processor family is available at http://www.intel.com/itanium/.

3. Floating-point performance. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will take advantage of the increased floating-point performance of the Intel Itanium platform.

4. Multiprocessing. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is designed to support multiprocessing capabilities for maximum performance and scalability.

Single Desktop for Technical and Business Applications

1. Interoperability. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition provides a rich platform to integrate both 64-bit technical applications and 32-bit business applications. This will enable new levels of productivity and collaboration.

2. Familiar management tools. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition can be managed using the same tools as 32-bit Windows systems. This allows organizations to standardize on one operating system for all of their desktops, saving substantial amounts of money in management costs.

3. Windows-based solution. Windows provides the largest breadth of applications, hardware providers and support partners, giving customers more choices in how they create their solutions.

Best Platform for the Next Generation of Applications

1. Same programming model. With the Windows programming model, developers can create both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of their applications using a single code base. When it is time to compile, they simply choose which version to build.

2. Robust development tools. Windows has the most robust development tools of any platform, making it easy to build the next generation of applications.

3. Microsoft .NET ready. Microsoft is taking leadership in developing the Microsoft .NET platform which will enable the next generation of applications that integrate with the Web.
Top of pageTop of page
Differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows

The major differentiator between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows is in memory support. Currently, 32-bit Windows is capable of supporting up to 4 GB of system memory, with up to 2 GB of dedicated memory per process. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will currently support up to 16 GB of RAM, with the potential to support up to 16 TB of virtual memory as hardware capabilities and memory sizes grow.

Customers will find some feature differences, but overall, 64-bit Windows includes a majority of the features that are included in 32-bit Windows.

Phoenix86 said:
MS XP 64 info.

1. Large memory support. Supports up to 16 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the Intel Itanium processor. This reduces the time for loading data into virtual memory or seeking, reading and writing to data storage devices, thus making applications run faster and more efficiently.

2. Optimized for the Intel Itanium processor family. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition has been optimized specifically for the Intel Itanium processor and benefits from its key features, such as the EPIC design. More information about the Intel Itanium processor family is available at http://www.intel.com/itanium/.

3. Floating-point performance. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will take advantage of the increased floating-point performance of the Intel Itanium platform.

4. Multiprocessing. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is designed to support multiprocessing capabilities for maximum performance and scalability.

1. Interoperability. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition provides a rich platform to integrate both 64-bit technical applications and 32-bit business applications. This will enable new levels of productivity and collaboration.

2. Familiar management tools. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition can be managed using the same tools as 32-bit Windows systems. This allows organizations to standardize on one operating system for all of their desktops, saving substantial amounts of money in management costs.

3. Windows-based solution. Windows provides the largest breadth of applications, hardware providers and support partners, giving customers more choices in how they create their solutions.

1. Same programming model. With the Windows programming model, developers can create both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of their applications using a single code base. When it is time to compile, they simply choose which version to build.

2. Robust development tools. Windows has the most robust development tools of any platform, making it easy to build the next generation of applications.

3. Microsoft .NET ready. Microsoft is taking leadership in developing the Microsoft .NET platform which will enable the next generation of applications that integrate with the Web.
Top of pageTop of page

The major differentiator between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows is in memory support. Currently, 32-bit Windows is capable of supporting up to 4 GB of system memory, with up to 2 GB of dedicated memory per process. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will currently support up to 16 GB of RAM, with the potential to support up to 16 TB of virtual memory as hardware capabilities and memory sizes grow.

Customers will find some feature differences, but overall, 64-bit Windows includes a majority of the features that are included in 32-bit Windows.
That sounds like a lot of PR BS to me. I don't see anything in there that will help me with my current system which only has 2GB of RAM.

EnderW said:
That sounds like a lot of PR BS to me. I don't see anything in there that will help me with my current system which only has 2GB of RAM.

That *is* a bunch of PR BS... at least as it relates to the average user, who couldn't imagine TBs of memory...

However, 64 bit Windows is solid and fast and, if you are willing to chase down drivers, is a good OS that should only improve in the next year... although by then we'll have moved on to Vista, and 64 bit XP will be orphaned. Regardless, I like it a lot and run it virtually all the time instead of XP Pro.

Manoj said:
Which is a good anti virus software for Windows XP 64bit?

I just bought NOD32, which I actually prefer to AVG.

http://www.eset.com/home/home.htm

They have a 30-day trial. Costs $39/yr to stay updated. I've been using AVG free in 32bit. They have a 64 bit beta, but I was having trouble getting into the AVG beta site to try it, so I bit the bullet and actually bought NOD32. I'm very happy with it.

Phoenix86 said:
MS XP 64 info.

Top of pageTop of page

Wrong version of windows btw.

I installed Windows XP64 about a week ago. So far I love it! Its great! Boots faster, feels better. Everything loads flawlessly. The only thing i've had a problem with is a couple games seems to hickup. They don't crash, but things just dont quite work right. For example, Lineage2 has some kind of keyboard security thing not load up. The game runs fine otherwise.
And also, Deamon tools. But thats already been discussed. the new one should be out around the 12th.

serbiaNem said:
Wrong version of windows btw.
Topic: Thoughts after installing XP Pro x64
Posted question: So what can I do with x64 that I can't do with 32 bit XP Pro?
Link: Benefits of 64-bit Windows

:confused: The hell you say?

Symantec AntiVirus corporate edition 10 has a 64 bit install on the disc, just thought I would throw it out as an option. XP64 is running fine with it on my m6811 emachines laptop.

Phoenix86 said:
*smacks forehead*

I know this, you know; I'm just an idiot. :)

Nah, microsoft doesn't clearly state the difference on the site. And the benefits are probably similar.

OK, so my parts arrived last night. X2/4200, 2GB, 7800GT. Build went w/o a hitch, no bad parts, I didn't miss a connection, everything fired up the first time I hit the switch. :D

So I pop in my freshly downloaded XP64 disk and I'm presented with my first Blue Screen.

It's the setup screen. :p

Windows partitions, formats and installs no problems. I login and install my system drivers, there are drivers for everything except one PCI bridge. It was getting late so I called it a night and started windowsupdates and went to bed. I'll be running prime/memtest tonight (I wasn't expecting my parts until today and didn't have my CDs :eek: ) and OCing by this time next week, after I know everything is stable at stock speeds.

Overall I was impressed with the setup process, really it's been no different than any other XP install I have done. Drivers have not been a problem so far, just gotta track down that last device.

My parts arrived (7800GT, eVGA SLI motherboard, X2 4200+) and got the machine built with only forgetting to attach the 4pin 12volt line but once that was sorted out I went to install XP64 and it kept rebooting after installed. Always right after "APICTABL.DLL". Problems with XPPro too. I think I may have a bad motherboard. Sigh.

Grrr, well the rig was hard locking while gaming. It locked on the two games I was testing on, BF2 and Civ IV. No errors/BSODs/event viewer messages, just hard locked. :(

I flashed the BIOS, tried current/1version old/beta drivers for the mobo and video, no go. I put XPSP2 on there last night to test and see if this was an XP 64 issue. It ran for about 2 hours w/o lockup, so it looks like there may be some driver issues.

*still testing*

Ryland said:
My parts arrived (7800GT, eVGA SLI motherboard, X2 4200+) and got the machine built with only forgetting to attach the 4pin 12volt line but once that was sorted out I went to install XP64 and it kept rebooting after installed. Always right after "APICTABL.DLL". Problems with XPPro too. I think I may have a bad motherboard. Sigh.
I was getting that problem a coupla weeks ago on the XP Pro side of my computer. It turned out to be a problem with an AVG update. I removed AVG manually while in XP 64 bit. Not the same as your problem, but there may be a software issue, rather than your motherboard

Dennis Gordon said:
I was getting that problem a coupla weeks ago on the XP Pro side of my computer. It turned out to be a problem with an AVG update. I removed AVG manually while in XP 64 bit. Not the same as your problem, but there may be a software issue, rather than your motherboard

I have been doing a clean install so if its a software bug it is internal to XP. I need to try known good SATA cables to rule them out. The only thing that will be left is the motherboard but I think I will try running memtest tonight to see what happens (for some reason I can't get the pc to boot off of my memtest cd).

Phoenix86 said:
Grrr, well the rig was hard locking while gaming. It locked on the two games I was testing on, BF2 and Civ IV. No errors/BSODs/event viewer messages, just hard locked. :(

I flashed the BIOS, tried current/1version old/beta drivers for the mobo and video, no go. I put XPSP2 on there last night to test and see if this was an XP 64 issue. It ran for about 2 hours w/o lockup, so it looks like there may be some driver issues.

*still testing*

I don't know why more people haven't come forth with this problem.. Switch from 81.xx driver to the 78.03, *problem solved*.

I've been running this OS for about two weeks now and it's been mostly a pleasant experience. There are a couple of things that I feel are worthy of note now.

1) Getting my iPod working with iTunes has been hit and miss. I have to plug it in, go into a menu and set some disk usage option. If I don't do this fast enough, the iPod fails to recognize. When I do get iTunes to properly detect the iPod, it will not transfer files to it. I have to use a third party utility to transfer files.

2) I didn't realize this at first, but the 64-bit version of IE doesn't support a lot of plugins. The icons are distinguished, but the browsers look identical in practice. This can be a nuisance if you use IE instead of another browser.

3) I haven't found a webcam that has XP64 drivers. I've likely overlooked something, but 64-bit support among webcams doesn't seem to be up to par yet. Please post if you know of a working webcam.

serbiaNem said:
Nah, microsoft doesn't clearly state the difference on the site. And the benefits are probably similar.

Ya, the IA64 version of Windows XP was discontinued at the same point as the x64 version was introduced. I know the confusion...

At any rate, there is quite a bit of difference between the two. The IA64 version didn't contain many of the standard Windows components. It was meant for CAD and developers mostly, it exactly the same as the 32bit version. For example, IA64 movie maker? nope...

The x64 version has all the components that you would expect from a normal XP install, and for the most part behaves the same (though there are differences under the hood). Asside from that the memory limit is also different. XP-IA64 supported only 16GB, whereas the XP-x64 supports 128GB, not that it matters to more than a handful of people at the moment.

Back