Thought the rules of this forum was not to be a storefront to make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

humblepie

Limp Gawd
So explicitly stated in the forum rules is that this isn't a place to be a storefront nor make a profit. I am sure some people do turn a small profit from time to time, but I thought that wasn'tt the spirit of these forums. Hence the more recently rule posted about no scalping. For those wondering the definition of scalping it is literally the reselling of high demand goods with low supply for a profit. Aka, reselling for a profit on things in production.

I recently saw a trend of people increasing prices due to MSRP increase of certain parts. I really think charging more than what someone paid for because MSRP went up kind of breaks the spirit of not trying to make a profit. I have also seen people list prices based on retailers that are already "scalping" over MSRP compared to other retailers. My opinion is if they can prove they paid that price then asking for that price is ok, but if they are using that as a baseline to just make money wouldn't that be scalping? My question is a clarification of the "no scalping" rule recently posted in regards to people just raising prices because MSRP went up. Does this count as against the rules?

Last edited:
I think it's the spirit of the matter. I don't mind someone making a mild profit. But if you paid 600 for a 3070 and you're selling it for 900 I think that's a bit extreme for example.

So explicitly stated in the forum rules is that this isn't a place to be a storefront nor make a profit. I am sure some people do, but it isn't the spirit of these forums. Hence the more recently rule posted about no scalping. I recently saw a trend of people increasing prices due to MSRP increase of certain parts. I really think charging more than what someone paid for because MSRP went up kind of breaks the spirit of not trying to make a profit. Or if a normal retailer is going over MSRP compared to other retailers unless said person bought it for that price and can show it.

We said that [H]ardforum is not a storefront, we didn't say anything about profit. We're just stating that our FS/FT forum is not a place for you to unload your 20 3080s that have never seen use, never even been unwrapped, that you purchased with a bot for double the MSRP. That is not within the spirit of this community and we do not wish to be party to scalping.

This is a specific scenario that covers specific things.

Everything else is fine. I don't care if someone digs their nVida 5800 Ultra out of their closet and realize that this once shitty card is now an ironic collectors item worth thousands lol.

Everything else is fine.

I'm not going to call out specific names, but there are several users that have been listing for a very long time (we're talking years here) that consistently buy sale/rebate items with a very obvious sole intent to flip them (often times new/unopened). I've never bothered to ask over the years, but isn't that the definition of using FS/FT as your own personal store front?

So explicitly stated in the forum rules is that this isn't a place to be a storefront nor make a profit. I am sure some people do, but it isn't the spirit of these forums. Hence the more recently rule posted about no scalping. I recently saw a trend of people increasing prices due to MSRP increase of certain parts. I really think charging more than what someone paid for because MSRP went up kind of breaks the spirit of not trying to make a profit. Or if a normal retailer is going over MSRP compared to other retailers unless said person bought it for that price and can show it.
I don't recall seeing your name as reporting any posts that you are complaining about. If your are not going to help enforce FSFT Rules, don't complain when those are not complied to.

I don't recall seeing your name as reporting any posts that you are complaining about. If your are not going to help enforce FSFT Rules, don't complain when those are not complied to.
I was asking for clarification. I don't want to hit a Report button on someone that isn't breaking the rules. It more of a clarification on what is considered a "storefront" around here. It is one thing to sell some old "collector" item that isn't made anymore for higher prices. If it truly is something that people are paying high prices for that is one thing. I wasn't sure if the rules though were pertaining to items currently in production, with an obvious MSRP price, especially in regards to no scalping rule introduced. Scalping is specifically about making profit on current in production items that are also in high demand. I wasn't sure if people just arbitrarily raising their prices on something they bought before the MSRP price hike to match the new MSRP to make more money would fall under either of those categories. If the rules cover those scenarios, then when I know of those situations I'll use the report feature. If the rules don't cover those scenarios then I won't. The original post was in no shape or form a complaint. It was a question for a reason. Hence why I posted no names, and linked no posts by others regarding the question.

Why do you have to be so hostile for a simple rule clarification?

IMO the only rule that needed to be added/enforced is an automatic week long vacation from [H] for thread-crapping someone's prices; everything else would fall into place by itself. :D

I was asking for clarification. I don't want to hit a Report button on someone that isn't breaking the rules. It more of a clarification on what is considered a "storefront" around here. It is one thing to sell some old "collector" item that isn't made anymore for higher prices. If it truly is something that people are paying high prices for that is one thing. I wasn't sure if the rules though were pertaining to items currently in production, with an obvious MSRP price, especially in regards to no scalping rule introduced. Scalping is specifically about making profit on current in production items that are also in high demand. I wasn't sure if people just arbitrarily raising their prices on something they bought before the MSRP price hike to match the new MSRP to make more money would fall under either of those categories. If the rules cover those scenarios, then when I know of those situations I'll use the report feature. If the rules don't cover those scenarios then I won't. The original post was in no shape or form a complaint. It was a question for a reason. Hence why I posted no names, and linked no posts by others regarding the question.

Why do you have to be so hostile for a simple rule clarification?
Use the report post button. It will be looked into.

I am "so hostile" because people complain, but refuse to be part on the solution.

If you think the rules are being broken, report the post, we will look into it.

Read the current FSFT sticky threads for more answers to your issues add those have been addressed already.

And aydd for your OP, not a single question in there.

Use the report post button. It will be looked into.

I am "so hostile" because people complain, but refuse to be part on the solution.

If you think the rules are being broken, report the post, we will look into it.

Read the current FSFT sticky threads for more answers to your issues add those have been addressed already.

And aydd for your OP, not a single question in there.
It was implied, but I clarified it a bit better.

We are going to perma-ban any and all scalpers reported to us by the community. The community will report you. We will look at the FSFT post and make a decision. If banned there is no recourse to getting your account back. This is the way.
This is the way

So I take it that is why I got flagged for my 6900xt price? I was selling it for exactly what I paid for it after taxes and shipping plus what i would loose in PP fees. I do apologize if it seems like is scalping but that was not my intention.

So I take it that is why I got flagged for my 6900xt price? I was selling it for exactly what I paid for it after taxes and shipping plus what i would loose in PP fees. I do apologize if it seems like is scalping but that was not my intention.
Just trade your 6900XT for a couple 2070s and then sell them for $800 each on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back