Thought SOPA Was Bad? Meet ACTA

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ugh, didn't we just go through all this? SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, MILF, STFU, WTF? It doesn't matter what acronym they has, these things have no public support and are a huge waste of time and money.

Few people have heard of ACTA, or the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, but the provisions in the agreement appear quite similar to – and more expansive than – anything we saw in SOPA. Worse, the agreement spans virtually all of the countries in the developed world, including all of the EU, the United States, Switzerland and Japan.

ACTA is a good little bit Scarier then SOPA.. Atleast if SOPA passed you could leave the country. With ACTA that wont work.

ACTA has been in the works for a long time. It's also the first step towards a worldwide authoritarian government. It was also a violation of checks and balances, with the executive branch far outreaching their authority.

Why is this shocking to anyone. It all started with the DMCA. That abomination is the root of these problems we are seeing now with the alphabet legislation that more or less fucks you as a citizen. Anywhere. I'll be it will get to the point that even singing in your car will be a trademark/copyright violation by the time the interpretive lawyers get their hands on this bilge.

Once ACTA is ratified, our politician will say, "Oh well we have to pass SOPA now, there is this treaty and all that we can't go back on.", the whole time acting like they somehow were not involved.

It's BS. We need to force the two party system out. I don't know how, but we need to.

ACTA has been around since 2010 I believe. There have been numerous FOI requests to get the actual language of it. All have been denied on "National Security" grounds.

Go figure.

Heh... I can always move back to Russia or China to get away from repressions here.

Why is this shocking to anyone. It all started with the DMCA. That abomination is the root of these problems we are seeing now with the alphabet legislation that more or less fucks you as a citizen. Anywhere. I'll be it will get to the point that even singing in your car will be a trademark/copyright violation by the time the interpretive lawyers get their hands on this bilge.

Yup... but, everyone back then called us "tin-foil hat-wearers" for seeing what would come of that slippery slope :rolleyes: .

Yup... but, everyone back then called us "tin-foil hat-wearers" for seeing what would come of that slippery slope :rolleyes: .

Yeah, I don't think anyone can bitch and moan about the "tin-foil hat" people anymore. Their worst nightmares are becoming reality.

Everyone wonders what will be the 'end of the world' in Dec 2012. It will be the backlash against the governments for trying to have absolute control over the people.

This one is a little darker, as y'all have come to know now, it's not easy, if possible at all, to read and know the full extent of this thing, not only that, it has been on negotiation for a while now, all the time behind closed door and with the utmost secrecy.

And yeah, have been laughing at tin foil people for a while, and only now are coming to realize that these white collar crook's lust for control is very real.

At least I finally have my new years resolution. Get out of the fucking tech industry and enjoy life for the short amount of time I have left to enjoy it.

Headphones - check
Skyrim - check
Enough alcohol to kill a man - working on that.
Become a farmer - yeaaaaah

Books, musical compositions and other works in
the public domain, where they are freely used and adapted, has been abolished the Supreme Court ruled Wednesday.

It does not require a nuclear war to put us back to the dark ages. The US Dictatorship is already working on it.

Their obsession with copyright is beyond insane and getting way out of hand, every day.

the intelligent conservative community has realized modern republicans are a front for the envisioned banana republic of america, when will the intelligent liberal community realize the same about modern democrats? if the intelligent people work together, we can elect someone who is actually interested in preserving our freedom and a friendly global community.

It does not require a nuclear war to put us back to the dark ages. The US Dictatorship is already working on it.

Their obsession with copyright is beyond insane and getting way out of hand, every day.
This.

Concept of long-term idea ownership is going to crush our creativity and ingenuity. Human creativity and knowledge are stifled because of it. Instead of ideas being a limitless resource for everyone to use, they want to make ideas something to be controlled.

At no point in human history have we had the ability to communicate ideas so rapidly with each other. We have the ability to intellectually evolve ourselves as a species at an unprecedented rate, but of course corporations and governments want to make the flow of ideas run ONLY in their channels and ONLY benefit them.

Enough of this. There is so much information floating around on the internet that nobody could possibly hope to control it all, and that amount will grow more as the poorer countries get online.

Humanity should benefit from what humanity produces. It is not for a tiny minority to decide that the benefits of humanity's imagination be concentrated upon them.

DCMA sucks and so do all these. Gets to bad and guns will come out!

Looks like we need one more dark age before we figure this shit out and go much further.

You guys have no idea how happy it makes me to see that everyone in this thread is recognizing this concerted push for totalitarian power. A few years ago, that would not have been the case. Maybe there's still time to turn things around after all. :)

People need to stay on the damn politicians on this stuff. SOPA was the first time anyone really stood up to the hollywood/rcaa corporate interests...

To be honest what the fuck are up with these new laws being DISCUSSED for? It's common sense that the U.S. is already fucked up as is. How on earth would this benefit any of us? There is no need for this to be considered into passing.

To be honest what the fuck are up with these new laws being DISCUSSED for? It's common sense that the U.S. is already fucked up as is. How on earth would this benefit any of us? There is no need for this to be considered into passing.

It's not just US law, this is going to be internationally enforced, and our Congress had no say in it. The current and last president decided it was a good idea to work on something that a normal 3 branch government system like our own couldn't object or have input over the executive branch on this.

I view it as highly illegal both in the US, and in what we consider "international law". This isn't the Federation from Star Trek we are talking about, there's nothing benevolent about it.

Bills like this will continue to be signed destroying your bill of rights until we elect someone like Ron Paul. All there other fake politicians don't give a f*ck what you think.

Bills like this will continue to be signed destroying your bill of rights until we elect someone like Ron Paul. All there other fake politicians don't give a f*ck what you think.

Right. Hope he gets elected so all the world's problems will go away.

damn straight. I'm really getting tired of this BS.

honestly, whats our recourse here? with corporations pushing their agendas through with boatloads of money, no regulation of lobbyist procedure, and companies writing our laws...now internationally bypassing our govt system of checks and balances...we cant just say "elect other people" when its been statistically proven that the folks who throw the most money into their campaign pot get elected more often than not.

Decent source for continually updated information, as well as quick links to find the congressfolk who represent you, can be found http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA there. The more people that speak up, the better. The more people that get pissed and quit re-voting in the incumbents just because they recognize the name... the better. The fewer laws corporations are able to 'buy' the better. This crap gotta be stopped.

Looks like we need one more dark age before we figure this shit out and go much further.

Sadly, it seems headed that way...

Don't even need wars to do us in... Just unadulterated, uncontrolled greed.

I became an Independent and decided last year not to vote in this years election...

It doesn't matter who you vote for, you're still voting for "them".

Yeah, I don't think anyone can bitch and moan about the "tin-foil hat" people anymore. Their worst nightmares are becoming reality.

They said the same thing to Winston Churchill when he was screaming about Germany's intentions to conquer Europe in the mid-1930s.

People just want to dismiss foresight and stick their heads up their asses.

You're going to see a lot of small vpn's that are going to be a PITA to track down if they keep up with this ACTA BS.

Decent source for continually updated information, as well as quick links to find the congressfolk who represent you, can be found http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA there. The more people that speak up, the better. The more people that get pissed and quit re-voting in the incumbents just because they recognize the name... the better. The fewer laws corporations are able to 'buy' the better. This crap gotta be stopped.

They made a liar of me; the links are (as of right now) outdated and they don't have the easy-as-pie one to find your reps. You'll have to go to house.gov and senate.gov or whatever they are and do it the long way (unless you use a bulk mailer, which I find tacky, links to which are available on the CL page).

ACTA has been in the works for a long time. It's also the first step towards a worldwide authoritarian government. It was also a violation of checks and balances, with the executive branch far outreaching their authority.

I read that this was predicted somewhere, in some book, it was called a one world order... hmm. ;)

Right. Hope he gets elected so all the world's problems will go away.

Your alternative is...what, exactly? Of course electing Ron Paul to the Presidency isn't going to solve all of our problems...but it would be a heck of a good start.

What's his chances for winning? I like this guys ideas, but it looks like some other Republicans may win.

Back