Those who've moved to a curved screen

PC Surgeon

Limp Gawd
Coming from a flat TV/Monitor do you find the curve brings more immersion? With all things being equal would you prefer curved vs flat? What's your pros/cons after using it?

I switched from a 30" HP Zr30W to the Samsung 790c 34" curved screen and really like it. It is higher resolution and I like the wider aspect ratio. I tried the LG 34" flat screen and prefer the Samsung both for quality and the curve. The price has also come down a few hundred dollars or more since release. If I were buying now, I would probably get the Acer curved G-Sync monitor, but have not done much research on it. Hope that helps, just one man's opinion.

What are you using it for will change the answers quite a bit I'm guessing.

I have been pondering this question myself for months because I'm in the process of upgrading to a new monitor/tv whichever suits my needs best. The problem I'm having though is because I'm a digital artist, it's been difficult to getting feedback from professional users what is considered better. Basically, there is no consensus from what little I've been able to find out.

Obviously, the only thing that I have found out is it's great for movies or tv viewing, especially up close, but in terms of cad or photoshop work, the audience is split. I can only speak for myself but curved monitors seem like a gimmick to me, and and I would argue anecdotal that the curved angles would become an issue when doing professional work that requires accuracy more than anything else.

Am I being too critical here or what? I'd really like to hear back on what others think. Bear in mind though, in terms of priorities it would be Work>TV>Light Gaming, so things like color accuracy, contrast ratio, would obviously be my primary concern, with latency and lag input being my least concerns. Thanks.

I have been pondering this question myself for months because I'm in the process of upgrading to a new monitor/tv whichever suits my needs best. The problem I'm having though is because I'm a digital artist, it's been difficult to getting feedback from professional users what is considered better. Basically, there is no consensus from what little I've been able to find out.

Obviously, the only thing that I have found out is it's great for movies or tv viewing, especially up close, but in terms of cad or photoshop work, the audience is split. I can only speak for myself but curved monitors seem like a gimmick to me, and and I would argue anecdotally of course, that the curved angles would become an issue when doing professional work that requires accuracy more than anything else.

Am I being too critical here or what? I'd really like to hear back on what others think. Bear in mind though, in terms of priorities it would be Work>TV>Light Gaming, so things like color accuracy, contrast ratio, would obviously be my primary concern, with latency and lag input being my least concerns.

I have upgraded to a curved Samsung 4k TV from flat monitors.

Here is my better/worse then flat tilt for the primary person sitting in front of the curved TV using it as monitor:

Color Accuracy: Better (you are closer to being perpendicular 90 degrees to entire screen rather then just center of it)

Spatial Accuracy: Worse (the curved screens do not have a perfect curve, especially the lower end models)

Contrast Ratio: Better. Same reason as better color accuracy.

Reflections: Better (curve helps limit the angle you catch reflections from)

While I do not have a curved TV at work I frequently work from home (where I have two) and I would dearly love to have a 48in+ 4k curved TV at work instead of my two 23inch 1080p screens.

If you think how most folks arrange their work monitors they angle them so each of them is perpendicular to viewer instead of putting them in line. That is similar to what a curved TV gives you.

I originally had 48ju7500 and then upgraded to 55js9000. 55 is a bit too big but I could not get 48js9000 locally. I would not recommend going over 48 inch for a monitor unless you are planning on sitting 3ft+ away from it. 40-48inch is the sweet spot for 4k monitors.

Have both a curved computer monitor and home theater TV. Wouldn't go back flat. As a matter of fact, I wish they had a bit more curve.

anyone using curved monitor for coding or excel want to share their experiences ?

See my setup in signature. I'm the kind of person who likes to have as many files open while coding as possible, so I have Eclipse window on every screen. Widescreen can have three files side-by-side plus file explorer in Eclipse. Less importan files are open on side displays. While testing, it's good to have multiple browser windows open side-by-side.

Wouldn't go back to less than three displays voluntarily :)

Does that mean that you usually have 6 windows open when you code? I don't think that I've used more than 4 windows... yet. :p

Does the curve help you at all when you are coding?

Does that mean that you usually have 6 windows open when you code? I don't think that I've used more than 4 windows... yet. :p

Yes, 6 windows are open, but most of the time only those three on the center display are used.

Does the curve help you at all when you are coding?

Short answer to your question would be NO, I don't think so.

When I did my research, I was affraid that curve will be much bigger/deeper (or whatever you call it) and make things look weird, but it's barely noticable when coding. I have no experience with flat ultrawide, so I don't know how different it will be, but I don't think there's much.

I think my only concern is for gaming - I would need to support an even higher resolution than I already am. E.g. I currently have dual monitors, but obviously only game on my Catleap (2560x1440).

It's a 34% increase (going from 2560x1440 to say 3440x1440) and I may end up having to do windowed gaming - particularly for legacy titles.

That said, my brother recently bought the Dell 34" and it looks insane in person.

What are you using it for will change the answers quite a bit I'm guessing.

I'm not asking for recommendations as much as user experience. I see some people saying its a 'gimmick' and that its a waste of money. having people chime in from first hand experience will help me decide on whether a curved screen is what I want to go after this holiday season. :)

Back