Those who got the 8700k

I actually got i3-8350k and it's the best CPU I've bought (previously had 6700k). It's so darn cheap yet stable at 4.8ghz.
I see no point in actually getting more cores, yet. I'm a 4k gamer so GPU is way more important to me.

Isn't that a downgrade going from a 4c/8t to 4c/4t CPU despite the slight clock bump / IPC gain?

Isn't that a downgrade going from a 4c/8t to 4c/4t CPU despite the slight clock bump / IPC gain?

Actually heres something for you ...

My friend and I were in PUBG tonight .. He has a 1070ti and a 6700K and I have a 1070 and a 8600K (my backup box I was on tongiht).

He was reporting around 80fps where I was getting over 130 in the game. So Coffee Lake's 6 core/6thread is defnietly delivering on games better even though he has a much faster GPU. My clock speed was 4.6 on the I5 but the two extra cores are where games are going now. Everything is moving from dual to quad as was the most current to six now and beyond I am sure. It seems that way.

On my signature rig below though it absolutely crushes my Coffee Lake but surprisingly in gaming the I5 has undeniable gobs of gaming power in that little chip.

Nope, I sold my old computer and bought a new one.
Also 2, 4 or 8 threads make no difference if the game doesn't support it, that's when clock matters and this 8350k clocks a bit higher than 6700k and also have a better IPC.

Nope, I sold my old computer and bought a new one.
Also 2, 4 or 8 threads make no difference if the game doesn't support it, that's when clock matters and this 8350k clocks a bit higher than 6700k and also have a better IPC.

Read my post above.

Ok essentially all I am saying is that your Coffee Lake is beast for gaming IPC even at 4 threads. 6 threads is the future and the future is now but you should be just fine with that fast little high IPC chip you have there.

Good info and it's always fun benching different CPUs in PUBG :joyful:. I've done i3 4170, Xeon X5650 @ 4Ghz, Ryzen 1600 @ 4Ghz, i7 4720hq, and 8700K @ 5Ghz all using my 1080 Ti except for the laptop chip using a 970m. The poor dual-core was entertaining trying to push the 1080 Ti.

ddr5 is behind corner.
They can't make enough DDR4 now as lines are being moved over to supply the NAND market. DDR5 and its diminished benefit are a pipedream on the desktop with the market in its current state.

My friend and I were in PUBG tonight .. He has a 1070ti and a 6700K and I have a 1070 and a 8600K (my backup box I was on tongiht).

He was reporting around 80fps where I was getting over 130 in the game. So Coffee Lake's 6 core/6thread is defnietly delivering on games better even though he has a much faster GPU. My clock speed was 4.6 on the I5 but the two extra cores are where games are going now. Everything is moving from dual to quad as was the most current to six now and beyond I am sure. It seems that way.

On my signature rig below though it absolutely crushes my Coffee Lake but surprisingly in gaming the I5 has undeniable gobs of gaming power in that little chip.
I would like to see some CPU usage graphs to back that up. Please?

Ok essentially all I am saying is that your Coffee Lake is beast for gaming IPC even at 4 threads. 6 threads is the future and the future is now but you should be just fine with that fast little high IPC chip you have there.

I misunderstood, sorry :)

I one day might get a CPU with more than 4 cores. I'm honestly so tired of just sitting on 4 cores. I always wanted something like 8/12 cores with HT. But I'm 30% of the time gaming, 50% of the time surfing the web and 20% watching movies. It's just not viable to me. If most games start supporting more core I'll jump on a 10+ core CPU ASAP :)

Oh I also slapped Kraken x52 on my i3-8350k. It's so pretty :D

Last edited:
I misunderstood, sorry :)

I one day might get a CPU with more than 4 cores. I'm honestly so tired of just sitting on 4 cores. I always wanted something like 8/12 cores with HT. But I'm 30% of the time gaming, 50% of the time surfing the web and 20% watching movies. It's just not viable to me. If most games start supporting more core I'll jump on a 10+ core CPU ASAP :)

Oh I also slapped Kraken x52 on my i3-8350k. It's so pretty :D
Im just wondering what was wrong with the 6700k

Read my post above.

4/8 Sky/Kaby i7 CPU has essentially the same performance as 6/6 i5 CFL CPU (which was expected).
Gamersnexus did a very good and thorough review. You can rest the 6700/7700 vs 8600 topic already.
4/4 Sky/Kaby i5 and 4/4 i3 are quite behind the aforementioned cpus in any game at 1080/1440p.

6/12 CFL i7 is the king, though quite marginally outside of 1080p and even at 1080p not by much.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3157-intel-i5-8600k-review-overclocking-vs-8700k-8400

Again that point is mute to me. The performance gap between ryzen 1 and 2 is not worth it with a platform upgrade or not. .
Moot, and did you get access to a ryzen 2 chip somewhere that I'm not aware of...

I don't like old tech even if nothing performance wise was wrong with it ;)
Yeah, so you just bought a newer, but weaker cpu with less threads, same cores and same IPC. Congrats with downgrade from 6700k to 6600k from 2 years ago!

Pre-release game with known performance issues. Opinion invalidated

Your invalidation is bullshit. Read the review by legit reviews. Sorry you cant contend with reality and the game is official on consoles. PC is right around the corner. The game in the test server feels ready to deliver. I hate comments like this.

You honestly believe that you cant measure a games performance because its pre release? Thats retarded as piss. What if PUBG released 3 months ago and ran like crap? You wouldnt be in here saying this junk now would you.

HOCP and other review sites do preliminary benches all the time on games that are in beta status and you arent bitching about it then.

Last edited:
Pre-release game with known performance issues. Opinion invalidated

We are not talking about star citizens. Regardless of it's current quality, it's a fact that an enormous amount of people play this game. People want to know the performance of the game at this moment. Yes it might change, but that makes no difference at this point.

845,425 CURRENT 2,616,642 PEAK TODAY PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Yeah, so you just bought a newer, but weaker cpu with less threads, same cores and same IPC. Congrats with downgrade from 6700k to 6600k from 2 years ago!

I sold my old computer, bought a new one after 6 months. I didn't want to go for top of the line CPU because I didn't need that kind of power for gaming at 4k. Besides, i3-8350k at nearly 5ghz is probably faster for most games than 6700k at 4.5ghz.
Is there something else you need an explanation for?

I sold my old computer, bought a new one after 6 months. I didn't want to go for top of the line CPU because I didn't need that kind of power for gaming at 4k. Besides, i3-8350k at nearly 5ghz is probably faster for most games than 6700k at 4.5ghz.
Is there something else you need an explanation for?

It’s not. You can look at gamersnexus article at least. It lacks threads and lags behind 4/8, 6/6 and 6/12 cpus quite significantly. Majority of the games released in past 2 years take advantage of higher core/thread count than 4/4 and most recent aaa games tend to demonstrate necessity of a 4/8 or 6/6 cpu for comfortable gaming.

Why be mad? Be happy! Be happy than Intel is coming out with an 8 core consumer CPU. Why? Simple, more cores from AMD.

I hope we see a 10 or 12 Core Zen 2 CPU announced soon.

That would be totally awesome.

If you got a 10 year old 4 core its turd slow and it have nothing to do with core count.

CFL is already the point where even the most stubborn SB owners are jumping.

We are at the point where SB is no longer great but CFL is not it. Not even close. You've been saying the same shit for 7700 too heh

I just upgraded from an ancient Q6600 @2.7ghz to an 8600k. Dear God is this faster.

Most people don't upgrade constantly so consider an 8600k vs any Ryzen, or even better an 8700k, and clearly coffee lake dominates Ryzen. I'm glad AMD has a good chip now. No doubt. I do have some good memories of the two Athlons I had but coffee lake > ryzen. And in the future if I feel like it I know that I can sell my 8600k and get an 8700k. Or hey maybe even an 9700k who knows?

I'm much more interested in the next generation of video cards.

Also I got my 8600k for $260. AMD just can't compete here.

Was his system overclocked? Might make a difference....

If I had seen the whole Z270 -> Z370 -> Z390 fiasco coming then I would have either gone X299 or some AMD setup. I'm not convinced that the AMD stuff would work well for me just yet, but I haven't had any hands-on.

But no, I mean I paid less than $350 for the 8700k and got the motherboard for sub-retail as well so it's fine. I'll just put it in my kids' PC if I want to upgrade.

The one I regret is the 7700k, which I really only owned b/c my 4790k motherboard died. I just couldn't get myself to buy another motherboard without the slim upgrade.

This topic is of interest to me.

Plan to build a new machine eventually, but would ideally like to wait until the next Gen 9700k. Etc.

So it's either wait, or get a cheapo z370/8350k because I want to learn to overclock.
Grr...

How long until the z390 boards come out?

This topic is of interest to me.

Plan to build a new machine eventually, but would ideally like to wait until the next Gen 9700k. Etc.

So it's either wait, or get a cheapo z370/8350k because I want to learn to overclock.
Grr...

How long until the z390 boards come out?
Next high-end part sometime between July 2018 thru March 2019.
Z390 may or may not exist.

Also I wouldn't worry about "learning" to overclock. It's painfully easy.

I love my 8600K its an absolute winner for gaming period. There is ZERO need for an 8700K and in fact I do not see how an 8700K is more beneficial for gaming than an 8600K. I love hearing people say that the 8700K is the BEST gaming chip literally sigh... they are speaking out of their tush.

I can't tell a difference in gaming between my SKY-x and my CofeeLake I5. They are both pure winners for gaming. However the I5 is literally weak in everything else and to be honest unless you own an x299 platform with one of the more decent processors and have owned an 8700K like yours truly, they can't hold a candle stick to the x299 I7s and I9s in everything outside of gaming alone.

But yes for anyone reading this thread late in the discussion, you absolutely cannot go wrong with Coffee Lake for a gaming and light duty work machine. I say light duty and mean it too.

And to those that are "Waiting"... you will be always waiting in computers. Just get a 6 core and be happy with it now. It is not going to be that big of a performance increase between CFL and the next thing unless Intel really and I mean really wants to pull some magic tricks out of their bag of toys.

I bet my little 6 core no SMT I5 remains relevant to gaming for at least 4 more years minimum.

Happy with my 8700k. Upgraded from a 3570k and WoW is my main game so it's CPU hungry single core engine. 8700k allows me to bump up a ton of settings. Also paired with 1080ti I can get 100fps+ in 1440p in Destiny 2. Still need to find time to see if I can crack 5GHZ. Right now I have it boosted to 4.7/4.8 @ 1.2vcore pretty easily just with motherboard settings.

Happy with my 8700k. Upgraded from a 3570k and WoW is my main game so it's CPU hungry single core engine. 8700k allows me to bump up a ton of settings. Also paired with 1080ti I can get 100fps+ in 1440p in Destiny 2. Still need to find time to see if I can crack 5GHZ. Right now I have it boosted to 4.7/4.8 @ 1.2vcore pretty easily just with motherboard settings.

What method of cooling are you using? Delidded?

What method of cooling are you using? Delidded?
H115i AIO using front case intake. I have enough room in the new case to do push/pull so might grab 2 more 140mm fans. No delid currently. Might explore doing so in the future. CPU sitting idle around 26-30c. Only gets about 40-50c during gaming.

To the OP, I don't think people who are buying the latest products are really that concerned about the next product. Either they will get it, or maybe they skip a generation. But back when I was upgrading my CPUs regularly, it didn't bug me that a newer better one came out shortly after, I just adjusted my schedule as needed and got the CPUs I felt were worth it.

I still upgrade my GPUs regularly and I got caught in the Titan X(p) scenario where I got the original Titan X (Pascal) and then shortly thereafter they came out with the improved Titan XP. At most it was a little annoying they did that so quickly, but at the same time, I don't have any problems or issues with my Xp, it does what I need it to quite well.

Disagree, there is nothing out there that really makes it worth it to move on from my 2600k. I used to upgrade 1 - 2 times per year, I haven't had a need to upgrade a CPU since my 2600k. The improvements just aren't that worthwhile.

I disagree with this statement. Can your 2600k run dat sweet 60hz 4k adult film? I need an 8700k for research purposes.

Back