Those who got the 8700k

You will need a home loan to afford that DDR5, PCIe 4.0 is nice but not really needed as cards dont even max it out on 3.0. I have a Ryzen and I plan to upgrade when Zen 2 comes out , best part is all I have to do is unmount my waterblock and put the new cpu in and keep all my current hardware. For me Id rather have the option to upgrade then buy all new components.

And you are in the minority :)

[and how do you know that memory will not come back down, or that PCIe 4.0 won't be needed? lol...]

And you are in the minority :)

[and how do you know that memory will not come back down, or that PCIe 4.0 won't be needed? lol...]

Or perhaps I am used to AMD the easy upgrade more often then not. DDR4 is stupid expensive right now, dont see them charging less for new tech. You can't even max out PCIe 3.0 and I will guarantee the next gen of video cards still wont. I think many people would rather have a simple upgrade over getting a whole new system. Seen plenty whine about no upgrade path under the Intel flag many times. It's just not what you want to do.

Or perhaps I am used to AMD the easy upgrade more often then not. DDR4 is stupid expensive right now, dont see them charging less for new tech. You can't even max out PCIe 3.0 and I will guarantee the next gen of video cards still wont. I think many people would rather have a simple upgrade over getting a whole new system. Seen plenty whine about no upgrade path under the Intel flag many times. It's just not what you want to do.

'Next gen'

I'm not talking about next-gen- unless you're upgrading for the hell of it (you're now an even smaller niche user!), you're not upgrading every generation. Two or three generations? Sure. And then what?

Can you predict GPU performance that far out? Lol.

"I don't need this today, so I'll never need it!" is not a valid argument.

Stupid question:
Do you have to run them on quad channel memory or will 2x8gb suffice? I realize that's one of the major advantages...

Also:
Do we anticipate another generation or two of processors working with the x299 platform?

I am running 2 x 8 right now and the system screams. I plan on adding another 16 gig in the summer.

'Next gen'

I'm not talking about next-gen- unless you're upgrading for the hell of it (you're now an even smaller niche user!), you're not upgrading every generation. Two or three generations? Sure. And then what?

Can you predict GPU performance that far out? Lol.

"I don't need this today, so I'll never need it!" is not a valid argument.

AM4 is good till Zen 3 which is quite a ways off. Video cards are not upgrading every year like they used to, now they are struggling to hit 2 years before a new product is out. The game of easy shrinks and quick upgrades is pretty much dead so your hardware is going to last much longer these days and at least I will have options with Zen that you will not. So I will have my option to upgrade to Zen 2 next year as I dont think Zen+ will convince me to upgrade. I can easily predict the next gen we have seen the Titan V and lets say it's not very impressive at all, assuming they make some tweaks it might get a bit better, but I expect a meh from the majority on it. The wall is here and expecting large jumps in video cards or on the cpu front is coming to a end, it will take many years before you will find a reason to want to upgrade. Even more funny is you cheaped out on your own system and are running 3000 DDR4 and I have Ryzen and I am running a 3200 kit the same size, it only makes a small difference but you claim you need all the fps you can get. I like to get a look at new tech first and see if it's worth it, like NVME, for their cost right now they offer nothing to me, SSD is cheaper and you cant really tell the difference without a synthetic test. So your assertion that all platforms are dead platforms is pretty much incorrect, it's just the way you look at things. Maybe down the line you might be right when they cant shrink the processors anymore then will just want to upgrade the platform so we can use the new tech.

I see.

You're really dedicated to your AMD pity-purchase, huh?

No more then your dedicated to your dead end and want to feel better about it plus I have two more cores which I actually use. At least Intel is finally doing something more then 4 cores for 350+ bucks these days. Either way I will enjoy my choice, vs having no choice.

No more then your dedicated to your dead end and want to feel better about it plus I have two more cores which I actually use. At least Intel is finally doing something more then 4 cores for 350+ bucks these days. Either way I will enjoy my choice, vs having no choice.

I have more clocks and IPC that I actually use.

Meanwhile, your entire argument rests on 'I made the better bet hahahaha'.

It's still a bet. AMD may not improve IPC or clocks enough to matter. Past experience would point to that being very likely.

I have more clocks and IPC that I actually use.

Meanwhile, your entire argument rests on 'I made the better bet hahahaha'.

It's still a bet. AMD may not improve IPC or clocks enough to matter. Past experience would point to that being very likely.

At 4.6 your chip is kind of weak, only 600 MHz faster then my Ryzen. Were likely closer then you think and I think it's a sure bet that Zen 2 will be quite a bit better. Also if we point to the past then you have to choke down that Prescott and the Athlon days and AMD was quite a bit faster then. Zen is all new and I think AMD can learn to make it better, I think Intel is at the end of what they can do with their current design.

At 4.6 your chip is kind of weak, only 600 MHz faster then my Ryzen. Were likely closer then you think and I think it's a sure bet that Zen 2 will be quite a bit better. Also if we point to the past then you have to choke down that Prescott and the Athlon days and AMD was quite a bit faster then. Zen is all new and I think AMD can learn to make it better, I think Intel is at the end of what they can do with their current design.

I think you're letting your emotions about your purchase get the better of you, given that you cannot discuss the merits of the hardware without personal attacks, lol.

He bought he slower solution and sits back with a bitter teste as new benchmark after benchmarks just makes the distance to Intel larger ;)

What does the history of Athlon/Prescott have to do with whether or not you regret buying a 8700K?! :confused:

motherboard partners have already said coffe lake just needed a _bios_update_ or is this wrong?

motherboard partners have already said coffe lake just needed a _bios_update_ or is this wrong?

From early reports it should have been able, but intel chose not too, now this could be a legitimate issue they needed to resolve or just a money grab but early benchmarks were found on z270 motherboards, but as those were engineering samples this may or may not have shown issues that we dont know about.

so intel will just squeeze in coffe lake on a 1 cpu MB just cause they got rushed by amd :D anyone know specific reasons why x299 cost normally 1/3 nearly double more then "mainstream" motherboards? but dis weird when mainstream will have most of the high core counts that "extreme" platform will have, it never was like it with x99, did it even have a quad core for this socket? so realistically in fall maybe, they killed of half their extreme platform in 1 years time.

Last edited:
From early reports it should have been able, but intel chose not too, now this could be a legitimate issue they needed to resolve or just a money grab but early benchmarks were found on z270 motherboards, but as those were engineering samples this may or may not have shown issues that we dont know about.

Complete money grab under the guise of "compatibility."

so intel will just squeeze in coffe lake on a 1 cpu MB just cause they got rushed by amd :D anyone know specific reasons why x299 cost normally 1/3 nearly double more then "mainstream" motherboards? but dis weird when mainstream will have most of the high core counts that "extreme" platform will have, it never was like it with x99, did it even have a quad core for this socket? so realistically in fall maybe, they killed of half their extreme platform in 1 years time.

I have no idea what you're talking about. But based on my best guess...

X299 is no different than X99. Boards are somewhat more expensive. A high end Z370 board is $250. A low end X299 is $250. This really isn't all that different from Z97/Z170/Z270/X99 in the previous generations.

The highest core count in X99 was 8 with Haswell and 10 with Broadwell. We already have up to 18 on X299. Even if Intel gets to 8 on the mainstream socket, the "extreme" platform still has significantly more cores.

fair enough they do got tonnes of super ultra cpu's for cost of a kidney. but what is "extreme" on x99 is not extreme anymore i guess :p but past 8 core now i guess that is for very specific things.

Intel didn't want to repeat AMD's mistake of releasing a CPU with higher power draw on a socket that a great many existing boards could not support.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, and Intel erred on the side of 100% compatibility.

As for X99/X299 prices- have you taken an economics class?

Back