Those Stupid Conference Badges Catch up to the Times

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

No matter what industry you are in, it is likely that more than a few of us go to conferences during the year. One thing that always happens is that we get tagged like cattle with the infamous conference badge. While it is fun to collect a drawer full of these things, the purposes these serve is very limited; cow number 1005882-B, let him in! Blendology now has a smart badge that uses an interactive e-ink system with connectivity. This tech was introduced late last year, but is now becoming a reality. Yeah, you still get the cattle tag, but now you can trade contact information instead of collecting a pocketful of business cards, get a map of the event, as well as the conference schedule, and a lot of other things. The downside however is that we will likely have to give these back at the of the conference. I needed that drawer back anyway.

Check out the video.

2. 1o57

1o57 Gawd

Lol @ eInk

Badges? Here you go:

Interactive game, played against others
    [​IMG]

These interact with each other, including propagation:
    upload_2017-4-19_11-30-11.jpeg

Full connectivity and interactivity:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one can interface with your car:
    [​IMG]

3. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons 2[H]4U

This is only cool if there's some way to get in and alter attendee names midway through so they go around with racial slurs and suggestive stick figure drawings around their neck without their knowledge.

4. Tiberian

Tiberian Finger Me

As I live in Las Vegas believe me, I see these conference/seminar/event/convention badges almost 24/7 especially in the downtown area and on The Strip as well. Not that I care but, one would think these adults (for the most part) would have enough sense to take the damned things off when they're not at the event anymore but no, no, they never do and nobody in their groups ever seems to realize how lame it looks when they're miles and miles away from whatever they were attending. :)

5. Tawnos

Tawnos 2[H]4U

For whatever reason, I never put together that LosT is on [H]. How does it feel not having to get this year's DEFCON badge together in time? Are you going to have your own custom badge this year, instead? :)

I'm bummed I missed the car badge. They sold out as I got to the table.

6. Kyle_Bennett

Yeah, a custom built one-off is a bit of a different story than producing tens of thousands for one event that communicate.

7. modi123

modi123 2[H]4U

Pusher of Buttons - nope.. near field communication hacks certainly don't exist. ;)

Pusher of Buttons and 1o57 like this.
  8. 1o57

1o57 Gawd

Um, I make 20,000 when I make my badges. These aren't one offs.... Just saying....

And that Ninja badge was sponsored by Facebook...so you could say we made a few :)

And we aren't the only con that does inner badge communication- CCC did exactly what these guys are doing, mapping and everything, several years ago...these guys are just making a company out of it...but it's def. not new....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  9. 1o57

1o57 Gawd

That's ok, I didn't realize it either ;)

What do you mean not having to put together this year's badge? (Oh you mean because of Tic-tock == non-electronic year?) The crypto behind it still takes the most time :) Yeah the car hacking badge was cool as hell...

10. Kyle_Bennett

Got pics of the 20K run that communicate with each other with NFC? Got a website?

What is the cost on something like the Ninja one?

But yeah, FB is not exactly known for being cost effective either.

11. Mugato

Mugato Gawd

I'm interested as well. And if you need someone to build those circuit boards for you let me know. I will pass along (our) website. No, I don't do it at home, we are a decent size company working in many different industries.

12. 1o57

1o57 Gawd

I never used NFC - I said I had inter badge communications. I do believe the CCC guys did use NFC though. Do I have pics of a 20k run? Sure, most look like stacks of boxes- but I've taken pictures from the pulpit with everyone wearing the badges... the "Egyptian" themed badges (I put a pic above) was designed so that you could follow people through crowds as they propagated (IR) like a beacon...Goon badges infected human badges, etc...

Here are a few articles from a quick Google search...I'll dig up more pics later if people are interested.
    https://www.wired.com/2014/08/defcon-2014-badges-revealed/
    https://www.wired.com/2013/08/defcon-badges-revealed/
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/13/def-con-2016-badges/
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ges-coveted-hackers-glow-radioactive-def-con/
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12/def_con_23_record_badge/
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/news-from-def-con-23-fake-deaths-dhs-and-tesla-court-hackers/

Here's a few of the intro/badge talks:

I'll dig more up later if interested...

modi123 likes this.
  13. 1o57

1o57 Gawd

Please PM me contact info if you are a fab house.

14. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H] Geek to the Bone

This is great in principle, but the problem is that every one of these trade shows will sell your contact info to any/every spam list they can find. If you care about your inbox, you can't actually register with your real contact info, which means you have to carry a stack of business cards anyway.

15. Mugato

Mugato Gawd

PM sent

Tags: