Those Stupid Conference Badges Catch up to the Times

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
No matter what industry you are in, it is likely that more than a few of us go to conferences during the year. One thing that always happens is that we get tagged like cattle with the infamous conference badge. While it is fun to collect a drawer full of these things, the purposes these serve is very limited; cow number 1005882-B, let him in! Blendology now has a smart badge that uses an interactive e-ink system with connectivity. This tech was introduced late last year, but is now becoming a reality. Yeah, you still get the cattle tag, but now you can trade contact information instead of collecting a pocketful of business cards, get a map of the event, as well as the conference schedule, and a lot of other things. The downside however is that we will likely have to give these back at the of the conference. I needed that drawer back anyway.

Check out the video.

Lol @ eInk

Badges? Here you go:

Interactive game, played against others
yep--clearly-the-best--Defcon-badge-ever--thanks--ninjanetworks-eecue_31715_5wk0_l.jpg

These interact with each other, including propagation:
upload_2017-4-19_11-30-11.jpeg

Full connectivity and interactivity:
hands-on-andnotxor-defcon-badge-thumb.jpg

DefCon-2014-Badges660.gif

211022124_7fdad0c6a2_651500643.jpg

This one can interface with your car:
images

This is only cool if there's some way to get in and alter attendee names midway through so they go around with racial slurs and suggestive stick figure drawings around their neck without their knowledge.

As I live in Las Vegas believe me, I see these conference/seminar/event/convention badges almost 24/7 especially in the downtown area and on The Strip as well. Not that I care but, one would think these adults (for the most part) would have enough sense to take the damned things off when they're not at the event anymore but no, no, they never do and nobody in their groups ever seems to realize how lame it looks when they're miles and miles away from whatever they were attending. :)

For whatever reason, I never put together that LosT is on [H]. How does it feel not having to get this year's DEFCON badge together in time? Are you going to have your own custom badge this year, instead? :)

I'm bummed I missed the car badge. They sold out as I got to the table.

For whatever reason, I never put together that LosT is on [H]. How does it feel not having to get this year's DEFCON badge together in time? Are you going to have your own custom badge this year, instead? :)

I'm bummed I missed the car badge. They sold out as I got to the table.

That's ok, I didn't realize it either ;)

What do you mean not having to put together this year's badge? (Oh you mean because of Tic-tock == non-electronic year?) The crypto behind it still takes the most time :) Yeah the car hacking badge was cool as hell...

Um, I make 20,000 when I make my badges. These aren't one offs.... Just saying....

And that Ninja badge was sponsored by Facebook...so you could say we made a few :)

And we aren't the only con that does inner badge communication- CCC did exactly what these guys are doing, mapping and everything, several years ago...these guys are just making a company out of it...but it's def. not new....
Got pics of the 20K run that communicate with each other with NFC? Got a website?

What is the cost on something like the Ninja one?

But yeah, FB is not exactly known for being cost effective either.

I'm interested as well. And if you need someone to build those circuit boards for you let me know. I will pass along (our) website. No, I don't do it at home, we are a decent size company working in many different industries.

Please PM me contact info if you are a fab house.

This is great in principle, but the problem is that every one of these trade shows will sell your contact info to any/every spam list they can find. If you care about your inbox, you can't actually register with your real contact info, which means you have to carry a stack of business cards anyway.

Back