Thorian88 sold me a 1080 gtx Ti and ran with my money

Status
Not open for further replies.

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Mods, Thorian88 sold me an Nvidia reference 1080 GTX TI FE 2 weeks ago. He told me he'd ship the card ASAP and afterwards failed to respond. I tried to contact him numerous times without any success.

I have opened up a Paypal case against him to atleast get my money back. If there's anyone else he's sold off things recently, please respond in this thread.

Here's his FS thread:

https://hardforum.com/threads/1080t...x390-taichi-ultimate.1985521/#post-1044316650

I went with the length of time he’s been a member here. Have had great experience with the sellers on this forum so there wasn’t any reason to believe otherwise given he’s spent 7 years here.

The world doesn't revolve around Heatware. Many veteran members here don't use it.

Actually many rely on heatware including myself. The more feedback you have the better. The first thing that I ask for if it's not in that post is what their heatware is, then I research their post history, then I contact to buy. But sometimes you get a person that turns and will screw people like this user. Hopefully Paypal will help him out.

I went with the length of time he’s been a member here. Have had great experience with the sellers on this forum so there wasn’t any reason to believe otherwise given he’s spent 7 years here.

He has spent very little time here since 2013 if you look through his post history.

He has spent very little time here since 2013 if you look through his post history.

Yeah, despite being around for a long time he had barely any posts and I couldn't really find much feedback for him as a seller either way.

Doesn't help OP now but, I guess it's a lesson one way or the other.

What a small hill for him to destroy his rep on. All I have is my rep and my standing here on this forum.

Op I hope you get your money back.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Didn't he also sell a high end system cheap saying he was kicked out of his place, etc etc. Wonder if he even sold it or was just a part of his plan...

The world doesn't revolve around Heatware. Many veteran members here don't use it.

I have to disagree with the "Many veteran members here don't use it."

From one of his posts:

If you would like to contact me via telephone: (470)xxx-xxxx

Mods dont generally like this stuff posted in thread, FYI; via PM is better.

Didn't he also sell a high end system cheap saying he was kicked out of his place, etc etc. Wonder if he even sold it or was just a part of his plan...
Damnit. Makes you second guess people out here.

I have to disagree with the "Many veteran members here don't use it."

Mods dont generally like this stuff posted in thread, FYI; via PM is better.

It was posted in his own for sale thread. Not giving any info that he didn't post himself ....

I’m sorry to see the O.P. dealing with this. That’s a large sum of money to come up short on. The sucky part is a well known account could be compromised at anytime and then the fraudster list things for sale on the compromised account. I usually ask or offer some sort of live validation from another account on high dollar items.

i.e.
I’ll send a message to your eBay account, or your other frequently used forum with the same username - write back with this code word. Chances are lower that the attacker would have both accounts passwords compromised.

Also, I don’t see how heat is any better than anything else. I’ve bought and sold on the forum a fair amount and never signed up for a heat account. I have > 500 score on eBay though. 100% positive and that’s been sufficient to calm the nerves of any of my past buyers.

You did nothing wrong, and to anyone else who says different is wrong. People say
look at his heat, heat don't mean crap when someone is ready to beat you out of
your money. Whether or not he meant to do it, or it was just a spur of the moment
thing, where he needed the cash and got in a jam. Either way is wrong, but you did
the right thing by using paypal. I will say this. People never want to get the police
involved in these things, and people never do. To help stop things like this in the
future from happing, there are a few things you can do. Have items sent to the
ups, where they have to show id to received the item. No more, I didn't get it,
and always pay for insurance, or make them pay, as there is always going to be
the, it didn't work people out there, and always use pp as you did. Also, exchange
phone numbers before the deal. That way, you have a name, address and a phone
number if the cops need to get involed.

I think this should be an offense worthy of being banned from the forum.

Seniority doesn't mean much at all in this case. The guy was barely alive or active all the years.
agreed.....im be very reluctant to buy from any person with that low of a post history. (im not even thrilled to sell to people cause of the same reasons)

Did you notice almost all of his posts were in the B/S sub-forum? There might be a handful over his time here outside of the B/S. Usually indicates not much attachment to the community and I try to steer clear.

All points noted from the members who have given suggestions for future dealings. As I mentioned earlier, I have had a great experience with all the sellers here in the past and probably kept my guard down thinking this was going to be another smooth transaction.

All points noted from the members who have given suggestions for future dealings. As I mentioned earlier, I have had a great experience with all the sellers here in the past and probably kept my guard down thinking this was going to be another smooth transaction.
So whats the end result from this hole stupid situation? Your only temporally out of the money until paypall puts it back? OR you just out the money and thats it?

You can only protect yourself so much. At least you didn't do F&F, then you'd be really screwed. Paypal usually sides with the buyer so your money is just going to held up for a while I think.

So whats the end result from this hole stupid situation? Your only temporally out of the money until paypall puts it back? OR you just out the money and thats it?

PayPal has given the seller until 7 pm PST tonight to respond. I have no idea what the next steps would look like.

PayPal ruled in my favor and I got my money back this evening. Glad I could come out of this with everything intact. Hopefully, the seller would have learned his lesson to not scam folks and that it isn't easy in this day and age to run away with someone's money.

Yes! Screwing people over on sales in the fs/ft subforum should result in permanent bans

Yep I say that there is what usually happens now if I do done believe what I've done seen before here.

39x240-01.jpeg

Yes! Screwing people over on sales in the fs/ft subforum should result in permanent bans

Interesting to characterize the situation as someone got "screwed over". OP says he received a refund of his money, so he lost no money in the end, only 2 weeks of time. I would describe the entire episode as a significant incovenience at the worst.

Question: did Thorian88 require the payment by F&F? No. He allowed a normal G&S payment. Was Thorian88's intent to cheat or defraud anyone? He hasn't responded or spoken for himself, so I don't think we can make a certain judgement with the facts at hand. The seller has not logged in since August 23rd. For all we know, he could have gotten in a serious accident and be lying in the hospital in a coma right now.

I think there's not enough information here to make a binding judgement. It's very odd for someone to take a G&S payment, then never ship and never respond, if their intent was to defraud someone. I'm glad OP got his money refunded, but I'm not judging the guy without more information.

Interesting to characterize the situation as someone got "screwed over". OP says he received a refund of his money, so he lost no money in the end, only 2 weeks of time. I would describe the entire episode as a significant incovenience at the worst.

Question: did Thorian88 require the payment by F&F? No. He allowed a normal G&S payment. Was Thorian88's intent to cheat or defraud anyone? He hasn't responded or spoken for himself, so I don't think we can make a certain judgement with the facts at hand. The seller has not logged in since August 23rd. For all we know, he could have gotten in a serious accident and be lying in the hospital in a coma right now.

I think there's not enough information here to make a binding judgement. It's very odd for someone to take a G&S payment, then never ship and never respond, if their intent was to defraud someone. I'm glad OP got his money refunded, but I'm not judging the guy without more information.
its just strikes the average person with the timing of everything happening all at once. Right after getting paid, suddenly that person is to ill to use a phone or just shoot an email that they are in the fact at the Hospital? (or what ever)

That it worked out is great. That he got stiffed by the member is what is bannable.

If you read the original FS thread, you would see the member had been online multiple days after the money was sent and never replied to messages.

Actually many rely on heatware including myself. The more feedback you have the better. The first thing that I ask for if it's not in that post is what their heatware is, then I research their post history, then I contact to buy. But sometimes you get a person that turns and will screw people like this user. Hopefully Paypal will help him out.

what is Heatware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back