Thor V2 or HAF X?

• Thread starter Deleted member 68403
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 68403

My water cooling setup bit the dust the week and I'm back to my old TRUE Spirit heatsink/fan. Rather than try to replace all my water cooling equipment, I'd like to keep the air cooler and get a new case instead (I can't install my current side panel with the TRUE Spirit installed cause there isn't enough height clearance). I think I've narrowed my choices down to Rosewill's Thor V2 and Coolermaster's HAF X. Anyone have a preference for either of these cases, and if so, why? Thanks.

I would expect the HAF to be sturdier but slightly dated design. The Thor is both contemporary and benefits from copying the latest refinements.
In another words, no help at all..

HAF X just has better airflow.

You know, I've been researching cases in this category lately and almost every thread has a zombie-like response such as this in favor of the CM HAF-X. I know it's the most popular and well-known of the full tower gaming cases with a metric fuckton of case fans, but does it occur to people that it's not inherently the best by virtue of being the most well known?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4648/rosewill-thor-v2-the-god-of-cooling-and-silence/5

Anand's review of the Thor V2 puts it as pretty much the best case they've ever seen in terms of temperatures and acoustics. Now, while they don't compare it directly to the HAF-X, we can look at the specifications on Newegg and see that it has the same fan configuration. It actually has larger side and top fans; 230mm vs 200mm. The case is roughly the same size with roughly the same internal configuration. It seems to me, based on my research, that the Thor V2 probably has superior airflow.

Yes get the thor v2 i have been wanting to see a build in it, Lots of great features for cheap and it is the rebadged x predator.

Actually the HAF-X has two 200mm fans on top, one 200-230mm fan on the front, and another 200mm fan on the side. It also has a 140mm fan on the back, another one dedicated for the video card (120mm), another 80mm fan for the video card, 120mm or 140mm on the bottom if your power supply doesn't take up that extra space. It has more fans, more room for cooling than the one you are mentioning.

And if you compare the pictures, it seems to be a bit smaller in the height and width vs the HAF-X for space especially if you do a PUSH/PULL with a radiator on the top. The more space you have the more room it has to move air. Also due to the width of the HAF-X it allows for better cable management, and options as it has more room period. Also the USB 3.0 cable is just a extender you need to plug into the outside of the case while the HAF-X if the motherboard supports it can plug directly into the board itself.

Rosewill is also not known for quality like Coolermaster is. Also the HAF-X has two hot swappable bays which is great!

HAF-X L x W x H
23.20" x 9.10" x 21.70"

Thor L x W x H
21.89" x 9.14" x 22.84" (bezel included)
20.08" x 9.14" x 22.84" (bezel NOT included)

You know, I've been researching cases in this category lately and almost every thread has a zombie-like response such as this in favor of the CM HAF-X. I know it's the most popular and well-known of the full tower gaming cases with a metric fuckton of case fans, but does it occur to people that it's not inherently the best by virtue of being the most well known?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4648/rosewill-thor-v2-the-god-of-cooling-and-silence/5

Anand's review of the Thor V2 puts it as pretty much the best case they've ever seen in terms of temperatures and acoustics. Now, while they don't compare it directly to the HAF-X, we can look at the specifications on Newegg and see that it has the same fan configuration. It actually has larger side and top fans; 230mm vs 200mm. The case is roughly the same size with roughly the same internal configuration. It seems to me, based on my research, that the Thor V2 probably has superior airflow.

I have the HAF X. Great case and I got it when it first came out for a good price. There are some problems with the fitting of the included shroud if you want to use it to direct airflow to the video cards. (see sig for cards). Other than that I like it. HOWEVER, for the price GET THE THOR!!! It has the capability of accomodating the VERY large motherboards like the SR2. Has 10 expansion slots!! You can also apply the money saved to get a Corsair H100.

OR
KEEP THE COSMOS 1100 CASE and get a Corsair H100, or H80.

Last edited:
Not a bad case that Thor. I'm actually quite surprised that it's from Rosewill.

Still, HAF X is hard to beat. That thing is an air-cooling monster. Plus, Cooler Master have been making quality cases for years so you know what you'll be getting.

the HAF series of coolermasters are the worse dustmagnets i have ever dealt with. And its steel for 200$? Ew. Make it weigh more plz. :rolleyes:

Rosewill looks like better value, but it will still be a dustmagnet.

I'd do the rosewill on virtue of quiet operation and better value.

My HAF-X is silent. The fans are super quiet and you can't hear anything other than the video card.

Back