This Witcher 3 mod raises the graphics to a new level of realism

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited? Seems interesting, still need to get more into The Witcher I guess. Never really played it too much

"So what does the mod actually rework? Basically, everything. Terrain, rocks, water, vegetation, NPC's, animals, and much more. In the above video, you can see a side-by-side comparison of The Witcher 3's stock graphics versus the mod. If you are interested in trying this mod out for yourself, head on over to the official website and download it here. In other Witcher news, CD Projekt Red will be working on a new Witcher title after they complete Cyberpunk 2077, more on that here."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7124...e-graphics-to-new-level-of-realism/index.html

Well, I guess it's time for a 2nd play through. I held off buying The Witcher 3 until the 1080 came out. I'll see how my 1080ti handles this mod after I finish the actual truly and for real release of Black Mesa.

Well, I guess it's time for a 2nd play through. I held off buying The Witcher 3 until the 1080 came out. I'll see how my 1080ti handles this mod after I finish the actual truly and for real release of Black Mesa.
Yeah Black Mesa is a lot better than I expected.
Its hard to believe a 22 year old game can still grab me, the new gfx and HL2 mechanics really work.

CD Projekt Red will be working on a new Witcher title after they complete Cyberpunk 2077, more on that here."
I really hope it will have a new protagonist. Every freaking time geralt the vulgar ruined it for me.

Yeahhhhh, no it won't. Look for a different series if you don't want more Geralt mate.
You don't have to degenerate to tribalism about it, I'm not in charge of the game, but if it gets a custom character I might enjoy it too. Too bad if that offends you.

I really hope it will have a new protagonist. Every freaking time geralt the vulgar ruined it for me.
Um, the name of the game is "The Witcher." Who do you think that refers to? It's Geralt's game. Now, if CDPR decide to make a spin-off game set in the Witcher universe, you might get your wish of a different protagonist, but "The Witcher [insert number here]" games will, I'm 99.999% sure, feature Geralt as the protagonist.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how this newest version stacks up against it's previous iterations? The video's side by sides are vanilla VS modded, but I'd be interested in seeing a 10.0 vs 11.0 (the version I've been running up until later tonight :D)

This is the first mod I've installed every time I've loaded up Witcher 3 for another play through, and it is amazing. Very immersive mod, especially with some of the weather/reshade mods paired with it.

Here's the link to the download https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021 (It's about 7.5GB total, 3 part download, and I know the previous version was right around 4.5GB)

Nothing about performance impact?

In my experience, VRM usage increased (previously I had a 1080 and now a 2080Ti) and I still had plenty of headroom. FPS wasn't effected (at least in any kind of measurable way), I noticed no change personally.

Last edited:
I cant use Nexusmods any more, my login no longer works and they didnt respond when I emailed for help.
Hmph.
That was over 1/2 a year back.

edit
Tried again after a nexus mod here offered help and managed to get in this time without help, phew.
I was made to reset my password because now they request it be a bit longer.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vokar
like this
I'm already using version 10.0 during my playthrough, guess i could download and install this one.
I hate downloading stuff from nexus mods though.

Oh i loved how gruff he was in the game. It felt refreshing to me compared to most main characters and their outgoing personalities.

Its hard to believe a 22 year old game can still grab me, the new gfx and HL2 mechanics really work.

Uhhh, no. BM is trash. I had high hopes for the game, but was utterly disappointed with the release of both the mod and later standalone game.

Black Mesa is the bastard red headed stepchild offspring of HL1 and COD. Giving Gordon syphilis and rickets and then bashing his knee caps in so he can bare jump 1" is not a good time. About the only redeeming quality the game has is many of the areas look a lot nicer, but they went overkill with rounded world geometry, which doesn't work well at all.

Man, I haven't played in so long (ever since I finished my first NG+) that I still only have v4.8 of this mod installed. Completely forgot about keeping up with the updates.

Uhhh, no. BM is trash. I had high hopes for the game, but was utterly disappointed with the release of both the mod and later standalone game.

Black Mesa is the bastard red headed stepchild offspring of HL1 and COD. Giving Gordon syphilis and rickets and then bashing his knee caps in so he can bare jump 1" is not a good time. About the only redeeming quality the game has is many of the areas look a lot nicer, but they went overkill with rounded world geometry, which doesn't work well at all.
lol

Giving Gordon syphilis and rickets and then bashing his knee caps in so he can bare jump 1" is not a good time.

Yeah, I hated that in HL2 Gordon has no vertical. Has only been slightly annoying so far in BM.

Geralt, on the other hand, can at least climb 😁.

Yeah, I hated that in HL2 Gordon has no vertical. Has only been slightly annoying so far in BM.

Geralt, on the other hand, can at least climb 😁.
But Geralt can't crouch jump.
1584384361573.png

Well worth it, used it 1-2 years ago, whenever I did my playthrough. Download the cutscene pause mod to.

You don't have to degenerate to tribalism about it, I'm not in charge of the game, but if it gets a custom character I might enjoy it too. Too bad if that offends you.

I have no idea wtf do you think that you read in your mind. The Witcher series of books are about a character in a fantasy world, if you don't like the character there are plenty of other fantasy worlds for you is the point, and again I have no idea wtf did you think that you read, I will suggest you now to step away from the pc a bit.

Haha
As far as witcher 3 it looks good but man too much talking and cut scenes. I like a gane where the narrative is happening as your smashing stuff.

Can't wait to see games add dirt/grime where objects meet, as that is currently one of the biggest things holding them back from photorealism. You can do this with some combination of procedural texture/decals and ambient occlusion, but better with some "simple" AI so it doesn't really come at much extra developer time

Mile wide inch deep. That's what happens when you allow custom characters. There isn't anything wrong with that, games like Mass Effect and TES have been massively successful with that format. But those weren't based on a series of books with established characters and settings. Most of the dialogue and interactions in Witcher are much more satisfying when you've played the previous games (and possibly read the books) and have a passing understanding of the characters and what motivates them.

Mile wide inch deep. That's what happens when you allow custom characters. There isn't anything wrong with that, games like Mass Effect and TES have been massively successful with that format. But those weren't based on a series of books with established characters and settings. Most of the dialogue and interactions in Witcher are much more satisfying when you've played the previous games (and possibly read the books) and have a passing understanding of the characters and what motivates them.
Except established characters are hit and miss. You either like them or you don't. I happen to not like Geralt at all, which ruins the game for me. And this is not unique to the Witcher3, I've tried to play the first and the second game as well, and in all cases I was ultimately turned away by the character. Or I'd rather say it was the last drop, because if you ignore every story aspect, gameplay wise the Witcher games are mediocre at best. If I could have immersed myself in the story and the character there would've been motivation to endure the mediocrity of the game's mechanics. But when the main character does and says things at every turn that go against my own morals, then I see no reason to try and force myself to play it. And I'm not being selfish, even in games where I happen to like the main character, I'd prefer the option of customization over something set in stone.

An established character can never be your own. If you asked me what would I prefer in a Star Wars RPG. Playing as Han Solo, or a complete unknown? I'd answer the unknown character without a second of hesitation. No matter how well defined and how "deep" a character is, it can never be as good as an empty canvas in a game that gives you the tools to build your own.

Let's do a thought experiment. Take mass effect for example. If there was no character customization at the beginning of the game, and each conversation played out in a predefined way, so one of the options were made canon and you didn't know others existed. You'd never say it is "inch deep". because you'd never know that it was made with multiple options in mind. And if you say "oh I'd have known" I call bullshit on that. This notion that customization makes games worse is nothing but prejudice fueled by games that had bad writing that happened to have a character creator.

An established character can never be your own.

I think that's one of the main separations between RPG players that are passionate about the TES titles, and those that like a more engrossing narrative. TW3 will likely be my favorite RPG of all time, despite my initial dislike for the character of Geralt (and especially the voice actor... at the beginning of TW1). I was always bigger on narrative RPG's (The old "silent protagonists" of the SNES era).

I can see how that's off-putting for someone who likes to put themselves in the story arc, though. The game Geralt (less so the written one) and I, often saw eye to eye on a lot of story points so, it was an easy progression.

As for your thought experiment, I enjoyed the Witcher world quite a bit. Played it like an interactive extension of the novels. It was great, in that light. I didn't want to redefine the characters I already enjoyed - especially not to fit my own narrative.

Except established characters are hit and miss. You either like them or you don't. I happen to not like Geralt at all, which ruins the game for me. And this is not unique to the Witcher3, I've tried to play the first and the second game as well, and in all cases I was ultimately turned away by the character. Or I'd rather say it was the last drop, because if you ignore every story aspect, gameplay wise the Witcher games are mediocre at best. If I could have immersed myself in the story and the character there would've been motivation to endure the mediocrity of the game's mechanics. But when the main character does and says things at every turn that go against my own morals, then I see no reason to try and force myself to play it. And I'm not being selfish, even in games where I happen to like the main character, I'd prefer the option of customization over something set in stone.

An established character can never be your own. If you asked me what would I prefer in a Star Wars RPG. Playing as Han Solo, or a complete unknown? I'd answer the unknown character without a second of hesitation. No matter how well defined and how "deep" a character is, it can never be as good as an empty canvas in a game that gives you the tools to build your own.

Let's do a thought experiment. Take mass effect for example. If there was no character customization at the beginning of the game, and each conversation played out in a predefined way, so one of the options were made canon and you didn't know others existed. You'd never say it is "inch deep". because you'd never know that it was made with multiple options in mind. And if you say "oh I'd have known" I call bullshit on that. This notion that customization makes games worse is nothing but prejudice fueled by games that had bad writing that happened to have a character creator.

Literally your opinion presented as fact.

this is my opinion:

Gameplay in the witcher games is fine, 1 is a relic of its age and suffers from lack of modern QOL improvements. That gameplay you dislike is the same gameplay you seem to like in the latest AC games as they copied Witcher 3.

By the end of my Witcher playthrough with a pre-established character, my Geralt was very much MY Geralt. I have no deeper connection with my Shepard then I do my Geralt. the choices, narrative and outcome was all mine, and Witcher presents a narrative of greys, which is head and tails more mature than the largely black and white Mass Effect series.

you dislike Witcher so much you have to let everyone know, in every witcher thread.

I didn't say it made games worse. I just wrapped up playing Mass Effect 1-3 and the series is one of my favorites of all time. The universe is set up specifically to facilitate you creating and owning your own Commander Shepard. That said, Shepard isn't a deep character, he's just a reflection of your own choices over the course of 3 games. Equally important to creating this incredibly world is the cast of incredibly nuanced, established Characters like Garrus and Wrex.

You're right, established characters are hit and miss. That's a totally valid opinion. Case and point: I don't like every book that's ever been written (and books are the very definition of a medium where conversations/plot play out in a very specific way and are also the basis for the Witcher games).

But just because I don't like a book doesn't mean it shouldn't have been written.

So, is this mod a work in progress or is it considered mostly finished? Just curious.

Games with character creations are lame. They generally lack any kind of character development compared to a predefined characters.

I will be installing this tonight.

Got a 2080 Super. Still can't hit 4K/60 in Witcher 3 🥴

Seems like only the 2080 Ti could do it?

When I get around to doing another playthrough I'll be using this mod again. Probably a few others as well and the game will look great 5-6 years after its release.

Literally your opinion presented as fact.
Because my opinion is fact. I mean I dislike geralt - that's a fact. The game would be better for me without him - fact. I don't know what do you expect.
Gameplay in the witcher games is fine, 1 is a relic of its age and suffers from lack of modern QOL improvements.
I played the Witcher1-2 a very long time ago soon after they were released, so no it is not their age. The only game I put off playing was the third.

That gameplay you dislike is the same gameplay you seem to like in the latest AC games as they copied Witcher 3.
I hated every moment of combat in Witcher 2 and 3, I loved every moment of it in AC:Odyssey. If they really copied it from witcher they did a damned good job of it :D
you dislike Witcher so much you have to let everyone know, in every witcher thread.
As opposed to people who like it so much that they have to let everyone know in every witcher thread. It can certainly take the criticism, the fans not so much.
Me disliking Geralt and judging the game's mechanics to be mediocre is not denying your experience. I can judge the mechanics of the game objectively exactly because I'm not invested in the story.

Last edited:
I didn't say it made games worse.
Mile wide inch deep - was not meant to imply it is worse? You definitely fooled me.
But just because I don't like a book doesn't mean it shouldn't have been written.
Books are kind of a bad comparison as they are not interactive. I'm not saying the Witcher games should not have been made. I'm saying they would be better if instead of Geralt you played them as a Witcher that you can mold.

Last edited:
Is that with everything on Ultra, Hair Works maxed, etc?
Oh, i turned off Hairworks because it looks absolutely awful and tanked the framerate. I don't like settings that simultaneously make the game LOOK WORSE and also perform worse.
The lack of shadowing on hairworks was just fucking jarring.

Everything else is on ultra, (turned off Chromatic Aberration and vignette because, yet again, i hate them) and some settings are even higher than ultra thanks to .ini tweaks.

Last edited:
Back