This problem has me stumped... processor usage slowly dwindles and then pc locks up.

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Randomly the processor usage on this Toshiba laptop with WindowsXP Pro will slowly dwindle down to 0% and eventually just lock up. Memory usage remains the same for the most part.

I started up Prime95 to stress everything in Windows... 10 minutes goes by and all processor usage falls to 0%. Task Manager is open and remains the only "clickable" Window after everything drops to 0%. Eventually after about another 5 minutes the Task Manager window is no longer clickable and able to be manipulated but the mouse will still move around. Another 5 minutes goes by and the mouse freezes.

Thoughts?

-Only minimal Windows processes are starting up. Computer will eventually do this in safe mode as well.
-Windows is fully updated.
-Computer is completely clean of any type of malware/spyware/virus as far as I can tell.
-Ive ran multiple non-Windows based tests/stress tests on the cpu, memory, and hard drive to rule those out and they go all night.
-Not a heat issue - temperatures are fine. I also opened it up and cleaned out the heatsink just to be sure.

Ya, I ran memtest. I actually replaced the memory as well. I ran a couple HDD programs that are on the UltimateBootDisk but they didnt report any errors.

Have a new update... it froze almost immediately this time and let out a constant beep. Has done this twice now actually. There are no obvious errors anywhere. Might just suck it up and reinstall it even though thats not ideal right now.

Last edited:
What is a good free program to check out the hard drive? Ive tried a couple but none are reporting errors.

Back