This old switch (Linksys DSS x16)

t_andrews

Limp Gawd
I have been looking for a 10/100 switch for a home network and I found a (Linksys DSS x16) at a local university surplus place for $10. I am curious if anyone here has had any experience with these (good, bad, ugly)?

It is big and heavy with 16 ports as the model name states.

I am also thinking of testing it quick (they have a test connection there) by downloading a file to see that it runs at its rated speed. (I have had experiences before with switches with burned chips that ran far below their rated speed.) Anything else I should look for?

Manual
Specs

Well I really can't find too much information about it other than they used to go for upwards of $200 easily(amazing how prices drop). If it is still there and tests ok I will probably snag it...

I've had experience with the older Linksys hubs and switches...I was always "Eh" about their quality, I have replaced a few that failed.

However....in the past couple of years...I have been very impressed with the newer business grade switches that Linksys has produced...especially the "S" line since Cisco snagged them. I've been selling/installing many of them and they're working fantastic.

The prices have also come down substantially.

Here's a link to their switches...scroll down towards the bottom...
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...622279&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

I don't know if you want rack mount or not...but take for example the SR216 model...can be found brand new for about 80 - 85 bucks. The shelf model, the SD216, for closer to 75 bucks.

Then again, for 10 bucks, if it doesn't work out for ya, who the heck cares at that bargain price.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I've had experience with the older Linksys hubs and switches...I was always "Eh" about their quality, I have replaced a few that failed.

However....in the past couple of years...I have been very impressed with the newer business grade switches that Linksys has produced...especially the "S" line since Cisco snagged them. I've been selling/installing many of them and they're working fantastic.

The prices have also come down substantially.

Here's a link to their switches...scroll down towards the bottom...
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...622279&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

I don't know if you want rack mount or not...but take for example the SR216 model...can be found brand new for about 80 - 85 bucks. The shelf model, the SD216, for closer to 75 bucks.

Then again, for 10 bucks, if it doesn't work out for ya, who the heck cares at that bargain price.
Nothing short of a wonderful post.

I too recommend splurging for a $10 switch. If it works...great. If not, you're only out $10.

Well it tested out ok @ 100Mb/s, both fans run without grinding, score++ for me. It will be part of a weekend/holiday project to get a small network running, perhaps a folding box in the future now that I have 16 ports of goodness ;) .
Now all I need is a place for a rack...

Thanks for your insight, YeOldeStonecat... :)

Back