THIS! NZXT Gets It Right Asthetically! All White Enclusure for its MB.

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
Maybe some of you have seen this but it's my first, and I was like, YES! Now, that's clean.

71NZqOJhEnL._SL1500_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Z390-N7...words=white+motherboard&qid=1581187481&sr=8-2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My point was that if you can have a modular cover that goes on a MB like this, why aren't 3rd aprties doing it? I'd bet you will see this in the future, you know. It started with Black and Blue PCBs (instead of that sterile green), then "sleeved" cables. Then we got some static LED fans. Then a couple of orescent lights (Do you remember those?) you could stick to the inside of your case with colored plastic sleeves on them. Now we have full unicorn vomit.

Aesthetically speaking, I'd like tosee more white PCBs and other components on the MB, like heat sinks and heat sink covers, come in white. There is an MSI Titanium board out there that comes in a white/clay looking color that looks beautiful. Now that's a beautiful board! I wish I could get it in mITX, damnit. They could go further and produce the ATX and otehr black connectors white also. Dim slots are already white, so why not? I really wanted this board for my new build, but the case I am using will better fit the mITX.
71ZuuIsMUTL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Manufactured by ECS.

In fairness, with modern CPU boosting algorithms, as long as the board can handle the power draw it won't make a big difference. This isn't the ECS of the s478 or Socket A days.

ECS made a couple really good boards. I had two socket a ECS boards that were 10/10.

They also made LOTS of really bad boards around the same time. I've used ECS and they work fine (for the most part). The margins are usually so tight on motherboards and ECS had a tendency to cheap out when they could. Long term support being another area. I've had Asus boards with bios updates years after release. I've had ECS boards with zero additional bios updates after the initial release.

My point was that I wouldn't dismiss the NZXT board out of hand just because it was made by ECS as ECS CAN make good boards when they want to.

My point was that if you can have a modular cover that goes on a MB like this, why aren't 3rd aprties doing it? \
As soon as I saw this board on the website, I had that exact same thought. I'm probably going to get an ASUS X570 Strix-E board later this year, and it would be nice to hide some of that typical circuit board stuff. I'm not into RGB lighting or anything like that. I have a Corsair 800D case, old but very good, where I traded the windowed side panel for a solid panel. So I would like some nice covers to hide the RGB on the Strix-E.

Aesthetically speaking, I'd like tosee more white PCBs and other components on the MB, like heat sinks and heat sink covers, come in white. There is an MSI Titanium board out there that comes in a white/clay looking color that looks beautiful. Now that's a beautiful board! I wish I could get it in mITX, damnit. They could go further and produce the ATX and otehr black connectors white also. Dim slots are already white, so why not? I really wanted this board for my new build, but the case I am using will better fit the mITX.
+1

As soon as I saw this board on the website, I had that exact same thought. I'm probably going to get an ASUS X570 Strix-E board later this year, and it would be nice to hide some of that typical circuit board stuff. I'm not into RGB lighting or anything like that. I have a Corsair 800D case, old but very good, where I traded the windowed side panel for a solid panel. So I would like some nice covers to hide the RGB on the Strix-E.

+1
Ahhhhh go with the lighting and see what you can come up with. Get a case with glass, not plastic. It doesn't have to be RGB vomit. Check this dude's build out in the case I am going to build in soon (As soon as Fucking Amazon gets its shit together and can keep the Seasonic power supply I want in stock more than 2 hours). I'm going to use the 140mm Noctua gray NON LED fans in this same case, use the board LEDs, the RAM LEDs and a strip light, and that's it. I'm going to use the Noctua white corner anti vibration silicon inserts on them.
813Ns9yCnIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Dude below uses the Corsair Vomit fans, but I'm like you in that respect. I think these Noc fans will look really nice with the white silicon corner pieces in them, and some white LEDs illuminating the case.

Screenshot_2020-02-08 Amazon com CORSAIR Crystal 280X RGB Micro-ATX Case.png

Screenshot_2020-02-0802.png

Ahhhhh go with the lighting and see what you can come up with. Get a case with glass, not plastic. It doesn't have to be RGB vomit. Check this dude's build out in the case I am going to build in soon (As soon as Fucking Amazon gets its shit together and can keep the Seasonic power supply I want in stock more than 2 hours). I'm going to use the 140mm Noctua gray NON LED fans in this same case, use the board LEDs, the RAM LEDs and a strip light, and that's it. I'm going to use the Noctua white corner anti vibration silicon inserts on them.

Hey, I like the idea of anti-viration silicon inserts. Do you have a link?

Dude below uses the Corsair Vomit fans, but I'm like you in that respect. I think these Noc fans will look really nice with the white silicon corner pieces in them, and some white LEDs illuminating the case.

View attachment 222075
View attachment 222076
Aaagh!! I think I'm going to go blind. Gimme one of those filters that people use to view solar eclipses. Also, this dude is going to double his electrical bill just for all that lighting. :joyful:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: x509
like this
My point was that if you can have a modular cover that goes on a MB like this, why aren't 3rd aprties doing it? I'd bet you will see this in the future, you know. It started with Black and Blue PCBs (instead of that sterile green), then "sleeved" cables. Then we got some static LED fans. Then a couple of orescent lights (Do you remember those?) you could stick to the inside of your case with colored plastic sleeves on them. Now we have full unicorn vomit.

View attachment 222035
It's not unheard of. Asus did something similar with their TUF line for a while, where they had a black plastic shroud. It was never clear to me what the point of it was other than looking nice, but it does look nice. I have one in my airborne lidar field rig.

My point was that if you can have a modular cover that goes on a MB like this, why aren't 3rd aprties doing it?
Because they would be specific for one pcb version of one brand of one exact board. It doesn't worth to make the tooling to manufacture it it would shift so few units.

Manufactured by ECS.

yuppers and I bought one last year in spite of folks here warning me. Turned out to be very not fun ... 1st board failed, they replaced it with a customer's board that had the same failure :eek: then 3rd board didn't work either. Finally Newegg bailed me out.

They say "never say never" but in this case BEWARE OF THE EYE CANDY especially since once it's installed in a case it all but disappears anyways like GPU cards do so why are gamers so attracted to the looks when the looks will disappear once the card is mounted (unless you use a riser cable and most folks don't)?

Yeah good old ECS, wouldnt touch one of their boards with a 10 foot pole. Seen way too many of those failed over the years, their quality control is just terrible.

Shouldn't cases, boards, fans, cables and sinks be like... dust colored?

Man... I just cant get behind paying more for something that "looks cool" like that. Once I realized I wasn't impressing anyone with my case/case mods/the way the computer looks, I stopped dumping money into it for those purposes. Lan parties pretty much don't exist anymore so the only person that even sees my computer and appreciates the attention to detail on any kind of level is me.

In 20 years things will come full circle and green and puke yellow PCBs will be all the rage again. You'll see.

Damn and they have one in all black as well. Nice as fuck

sure, until you mount it in a case and then it all but disappears

NZXT knew there was a problem with that board and even so they failed to refund and then Newegg stepped in. Newegg said I needed to have the original board I sent to NZXT and they were able to find it (words to the wise: ALWAYS write down serial #'s) and ship it to me but all the wasted time ... now I don't buy anything NZXT

In 20 years things will come full circle and green and puke yellow PCBs will be all the rage again. You'll see.
Wait, they went out of style?? Say it isn't so.
And to the OP, I don't think that looks any better than a regular old clean MB. I wouldn't waste $3 on a plastic cover for my MB. I use my computer, I don't need eye candy, it doesn't make it faster or better in any way. I'm more the type to remove RGB lights because they are annoying to me, especially when dark.

Hey, I don't game on anything that doesn't have a goat head case front with 12 horns with optional smoke and RGB nostrils. Anything else is just a kid's case.

My point was that if you can have a modular cover that goes on a MB like this, why aren't 3rd aprties doing it? I'd bet you will see this in the future, you know.

Because it's really dumb. You're covering hot components with insulation to make an easybake oven. Those tiny holes in the cover above the CPU mosfets and chipset are going to do absolutely nothing to improve thermals, the whole board is going to cook. If I came into possession of that board or one like it, the first thing I'd do is rip the entire thing off and throw it in the trash.

Because it's really dumb. You're covering hot components with insulation to make an easybake oven. Those tiny holes in the cover above the CPU mosfets and chipset are going to do absolutely nothing to improve thermals, the whole board is going to cook. If I came into possession of that board or one like it, the first thing I'd do is rip the entire thing off and throw it in the trash.
Yeah true, unless they can some how cool it.

ECS made a couple really good boards. I had two socket a ECS boards that were 10/10.

They also made more than their share of junk boards. Even when ECS gets things mostly right, they falter on the enthusiast front. I reviewed one of their boards back in the day that would have been amazing if they had bothered to include the necessary BIOS settings to overclock the CPU more than the tiniest bit.

They also made more than their share of junk boards. Even when ECS gets things mostly right, they falter on the enthusiast front. I reviewed one of their boards back in the day that would have been amazing if they had bothered to include the necessary BIOS settings to overclock the CPU more than the tiniest bit.
Not that it should matter, but this was an Intel 478 board no? Just hunching

Yeah true, unless they can some how cool it.

If they had a fan or something then I'd be more into the idea, but I don't see one anywhere. Abit years ago did a half cover over the CPU mosfets and had two fans that blew out the I/O cover:

7e3d-otes.jpg

I bought one of these boards from the junk yard and sadly the cover was missing. I guess it was a good thing because the fans never wanted to turn on.

Not that it should matter, but this was an Intel 478 board no? Just hunching

No. I didn't start reviewing motherboards for HardOCP until the LGA 775 stuff came out. It was likely an LGA 775 motherboard as that socket stuck around a while. I believe it was a Core 2 era board. The issue I'm thinking of was that you couldn't adjust the FSB much beyond whatever it was rated for and thus, overclocking was very limited on CPU's that weren't fully unlocked. I didn't review many earlier LGA 775 boards as the Athlon 64 was all the rage when I started. Most of my reviews back in those days were AMD based.

Back