This may not be the proper place, but...

OldBuzzard

Gawd
I'm a n00b on the forum, and if this isn't the proper place I trust that a MOD will move to to the proper one.

I've run into an odd problem with a system, and I'm hoping that someone can help point me into the proper direction.

I just upgraded, and decided to use the old parts to put togethet a system for #1 son.

I kept my Exos, but since I had to buy new waterblocks for the A64, and wanted to w/c the vid card, I left the old blocks on the CPU and Chipset, and got a Koolance case for the new/old system.

As it sits now it is:
Athlon 1.2, KT7A-Raid, 512 meg
30 gig IBM HDD (pre-DeathStar)
SB Live! Plat
Plextor CD/RW
3Com Nic
SavageIX AGP Vid

Every component (with the exception of the SavageIX and the case) was in use 24/7 for the last 'few' years, and were showing no signs of weakness.

I wasn't ready to give up my 9500 Pro, due to the pending (then) release of the X800's, so I got the SavageIX just as a quick and cheap solution. Since #1 son doesn't do any graphic intensive gaming, I figured that it would be OK untill I upgrade to an X800.

The problem is that something, somewhere in the hardware and/or software does not like the Savage. With a fresh install of 98SE, and all current updates and drivers, all is well untill I install the Savage Drivers. At that point, when I am in Windows Explorer, and try to click and drag a file, it will 'hard lock' and I have to use the reset button to restart the system. If I run with the 'Standard VGA Drivers', this does not happen. I've looked for IRQ conflicts, reseated all boards and memory, PSU checks out, etc etc etc. I'm open to any and all constructive suggestions. I'd prefer to NOT buy another video card, as I will be upgrading to the X800 in the next couple of months, and I will move the 9500 Pro to that system at that time.

At least install another card, if only temporarily, to identify the problem. Lets not bash the card or the configuration until we identify that some other Windows problem is to blame. This is Win98, anything can be expected to break. The fact that it worked in safe mode doesn't mean a whole lot, since safe mode disables so many potentially problematic features.

Back