This just popped up, wtf?

What does this mean? Never seen it before on any of my other computers...I just built this current rig a few days ago

Lga 2011 Assassin 2
I-7 3960x
GTX 590
128 SSD
16gb DDR3

Pic:
2m6qq7r.png

Not an uncommon problem. Some possible solutions to stop the message appearing again:

1: Run the application it as administrator.

2: Right-click the .exe file that you're running, and tick "Disable Desktop Composition" checkbox under the Compatibility tab. This will force Windows into the basic color scheme.

I've gotten that message before and from what I can get is that it only appears when the program or game is incompatible with the Aero feature.

It happens to me often with APB: Reloaded. The game will not run in windowed mode with Aero enabled. Once I get the game up and running, everything gets changed to Windows Basic theme. The weirdest part is this: This happens about 3 out of 5 times when I launch the game and enter a district. The other 2 out of 5 times, it runs fine.

The computer isn't slow, it's just the [stupid] programmers not making it work with Aero or something else in Windows. Though it may not be stupid programmers, but an older game or application made pre-Aero may also cause the issue.

The last thought i can think of is that the game or application has an underlying, unforeseen issue with your drivers; WDDM; or Desktop theme settings.

In the end, it's more software than hardware-related. Your computer is a beast anyway, no reason for it to be slow. Take the last guy's advice, select the third option and don't let it ask again while keeping your current settings.

Or just click on the third option and move on?

It would be awesome if that actually worked. Sadly the error can still pop up again even if you click the third option. I've even had it pop back up a minute after I clicked the third option during the same gaming session. I've simply made a habit of turning off themes and desktop composition in the properties of any game .exe that I install. Frees up that very tiny bit of video resources and guarantees that you won't have that window pop up and interrupt you ever again.

EDIT: After having read his other thread, it seems he has some type of hardware issue that could be factoring in to this. Either way - this pop up itself doesn't necessarily mean there's an issue and it's a common annoyance that most deal with by doing what I described. It will get rid of the pop up, but is totally not a fix for whatever deeper problems you might have. :)

Last edited:
Hmmmm maybe since it's a new installation, win7 was still settling in and when he launched a resource heavy program, win7 wasn't able to release the resources fast enough, triggering the low resource popup

I get that occasionally when playing BF3 on my system.

My spec's are.
i7 920 | 6GB DDR3 | 128GB SSD | 6950 2GB

Did you by chance not run the windows experience index? Past that i'd check latest drivers, then i'd say get use to it :D

Sometimes that box pops up right after you close a full screen application/game. The system is just recovering from the game (closing processes/memory) and is switching back to the desktop (aero WDM) as the foreground process. I think what causes it is the game process is hanging as closing and Windows detects that it should already be back at the background, but is not, and notices a performance loss (the closing game processes still running for a moment), and it triggers this.

Just ignore it.

I get this all the time playing BF3...it's fucking annoying. My rig isn't slow or bad, BF3 is just a piece of shit. Going back to playing BF3 now....@_@

Remember when running Java applets would disable Aero in Vista back in the days? Ugh, how I hated that.

I also hate the TMT update that disabled Aero in Vista and 7 when playing a movie. Grrrr..

I have the same stuff happening to me.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1646488

Post #5 seems to work. I added BF3 and it switches off Aero when I start the game. I need to do that for other games too, even Counterstrike Source and HL 2 CTF (which is back with version 2.0) has this happen.

As a hardcore gamer I always disable aero, it doesnt work reliably with f.e.a.r. Oh yea and windows is 3 times as fast without it.

As a hardcore gamer I always disable aero, it doesnt work reliably with f.e.a.r. Oh yea and windows is 3 times as fast without it.

Um no.

Windows 7 and Vista Aero use your GPU to run your desktop Aero interface, freeing up your CPU cycle for other task.

When running games, as most hardcore gamers should know, Aero gets disabled in the background.

I'd be worried if a computer from the past 3 or 4 years couldn't run Aero without slowing down.

Um no.

Windows 7 and Vista Aero use your GPU to run your desktop Aero interface, freeing up your CPU cycle for other task.

When running games, as most hardcore gamers should know, Aero gets disabled in the background.

This is where my problems lie.... Sometimes, not always when windows disables aero for f.e.a.r. it won't disable it in time, causing the game to glitch up, or it won't restore aero when you close f.e.a.r. on occasion. I'd rather it not glitch up at all rather than seldom.

Interesting, I had never seen this before this thread and now I am getting it too. Happens when I exit Batman AC. I just upgraded to a GTX 580, have mostly been running ATi for the last 14 years. Maybe it's the drivers. Maybe it's the game. Or both. Doesn't seem to be an actual problem though. Just kind of annoying.

Back