This is why your HDD shows up DOA

I'm the same, or do ship-to-store. Having a TigerDirect in the area is great :D.

Ship-to-store, eh?

How do you know the UPS driver did not play soccer with your package while on lunch break before he arrived at your local store to gently drop off your package?

Or how do you know if your local TigerDirect staff did not play dodge ball the merchandise you want in the warehouse?

I'm the same, or do ship-to-store. Having a TigerDirect in the area is great :D.

So you have an item shipped to the store so you have to drive there to buy it, and then if you have to return it you have to drive back to the store?

Wow, that sounds like a pain.

I'd rather have it dropped off at my door, and when I need to return it I print a label and leave it on my door. How much easier can it get?

The drive is shipped either way.

I mean even if HDD is in that box it should be fine. That box wasn't really dropped from over 30 inches, it was tossed but the rolling probably didn't do much.

If you package stuff like no one is going to drop it then you end up with broken stuff. I think its FexEx who uses 30 inches for <75 pound boxes, USPS too for 30" but only up to 20 pounds or something. I assume UPS is similar. FedEx says you should be able to drop it 10 times on from that height on face, edge and corner. The bottom of the box is around with the top of the tire, which isn't over 27 inches. So the height is fine. The tossing part is probably doesn't add all that much, due to rolling the shock isn't that high. UPS/FedEx/USPS tossing boxes is expected. Its when Newegg puts one warp of bubble wrap around a drive that creates a problem. Although I think they've fixed this, I always get those plastic clam shell things now.

Last edited:
If you package stuff like no one is going to drop it then you end up with broken stuff.

When I pack things, I always pack them such that a drop from chest-height would do no damage.

Most people do not do this. Most people are A******s.

No companies do this. I have never, in my entire life, received a package from any company that was packed anywhere NEAR as well as what I do. A) the company's employees don't give a crap. B) Companies will cut costs anywhere they can to save a fraction of a penny, and that includes packing materials.

Last edited:
When I would get parts for a Yamaha dealership the boxes that came from Fedex where always beat to crap!

I always go crazy with the packing tape too.. people would make fun of me but it you can keep it from moving in the box it really helps.

Guess I am lucky because I've never had a DOA drive and the boxes all looked to be in perfect condition, not beat on or crushed.

I guess I'm lucky or maybe this is a US thing, but usually they knock at the door here. If they were to throw the packages at least it would just land in the snow. :D

I would not mind if there was a place here to buy hard drives locally though. Well, there is, places like Staples, but they usually only have like one brand/model and it's like twice the price.

Back