This is why GTX590s blow up. Infrared thermography: GTX590 vs HD6990

I think both 590 and 6990 are great solutions.

IMHO they're solutions to a problem that doesn't exist. A dual GPU card simply isn't needed anymore. Anyone buying a 700$ graphics card is probably going to be puting it into an 1155/1156/1336 motherboard all of which support crossfire and sli and unless you have no idea what you're buying, have the necessary second PCI-E slot.

One of the hardest part of GPU design is the two slot size limit. This is what causes the thermal nightmare. I really don't know why anyone would buy this instead of a pair of 570s to put into SLI. They would be cheaper, faster, cooler, and quieter. What's not to like? The same can be said for the 6990.

Yes... it's your responsibility to account for the 110c+ operating temperature of the GTX 590, and not the manufacturer who created the card. LOL.

If Nvidia hadn't been so sensitive about the noise complaints maybe they could have created a cooling solution that moved enough CFMs to keep their own video card from overheating?

Please, I'd love to see someone try to cook some eggs on their GTX 590 and youtube it. It didn't quite work on the 480, but with those temps I think the 590 might do the trick. :D

Last edited:
i dont think that 590 and 6990 should of came with those poor and cheap heatinks, why not get custom made heatsinks from AC or Zalmen and charge the card $50 dollars more, im sure that nobody would mind.

the decisions these compaines make sometimes makes you wonder what in the world are they thinking?

how can you slap a crappy single fan cooler on a dual video card? ummmmmmmmmm hellooooooooo, anyone there?

Well, it had to happen to someone here and it finally has.

Zotac GTX 590 *** AT DEFAULT VOLTAGE ***

BANG!!!!!

I'm so F*****G P****D at this moment I could scream. I bought it from another site on the day of release. It turned up Saturday, so by that time I'd seen and read the whole fiasco on the web with the cards dying... so naturally I said to myself, "Don't be an idiot, give it a few days before you try clocking it."
Well it's now Monday night and while running 3dMark11 an hour ago I noticed it got really quiet... I leapt for the psu cable. But no. Crack! Poof! Stinking smoke!

I really thought my whole system was gone, the flash was that bright. Thankfully no, I stuck in an old 8800gtx I had and everything booted fine. But the GTX590 is toast, part of the pcb has melted around what looked like a small group of resistors in the lower middle of the card, which have blown, and there's a scorch mark on the other side of the card coming out from under the cooler shroud down to the pci-e fingers.

Believe me the RMA email I've just sent off to E***er was less than gentlemanly. That scared the ever loving c**p out of me. How the hell did Nvidia think they could ship these cards in this state!

PS. Before anyone asks, I dont have a camera, and I've already stuck the bloody thing back in its box for when I get my RMA number tomorrow. Good Riddance!!!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18778252&postcount=84

A recall is possible but I don't think it will happen. It's five days since launch and we are at driver #4 now.

267.52 and 267.71: fast but dangerous. for the reviewer crowd
267.85: apparently safe, performance problems
267.91: presumably even safer, not seen performance reports yet

Why would they issue a recall for people who are overclocking their cards?

If your card is riding so close to the edge that increasing clocks is enough to fry it, then there's somehting seriously wrong, and it does not bode well at all for the reliability of the card.

Overvolting is one thing, but having them blow up at stock volts is entirely unacceptable. If you can't admit that, you're either a serious fanboy, or just don't expect much for your money.

EDIT: Also, read above. Cards are releasing the magic smoke at stock clocks too.

Oh, and this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4791289&postcount=37

If your card is riding so close to the edge that increasing clocks is enough to fry it, then there's somehting seriously wrong, and it does not bode well at all for the reliability of the card.

Overvolting is one thing, but having them blow up at stock volts is entirely unacceptable. If you can't admit that, you're either a serious fanboy, or just don't expect much for your money.

EDIT: Also, read above. Cards are releasing the magic smoke at stock clocks too.

I've seen no hard evidence anything is happening at stock voltage. One guy posting it on the internet is hardly what I'd call hard evidence. I mean do we really expect the guy to admit he was over volting and ruined his card when he feels no one can prove he was overvolting it and he'll get it comped under warranty if he says it was stock? Give me a break.

What we do have is several people admiting they pushed the card beyond the advised safe limits and surprise, they went pop. If you push a 2600K to 2V are you going to start wanting a recall when it goes up in smoke? Doubtful.

I find this card a disappointment from Nvidia, but a recall because it fries when you try to overvolt it? Not gonna happen, nor should it.

233.4 F under load!? Holy mother of shit that is hot. :eek:

What the hell NVIDIA!? :mad:

Did anyone honestly think that NVIDIA could put two GTX 580 GPUs on a card and not have to downclock it severely in order to maintain decent temperatures? Is it a surprise that they had to make so many compromises to get what they've got now? Honestly, I think a 6GB card with dual GTX 580 GPUs and a watercooling solution would have made more sense than the GTX 590 we actually got. You'd be foolish to buy the current card over dual GTX 580's, the HD 6990 or a pair of 6970's.

I knew there were going to be design compromises yet not as many as nVidia implementented. I'm personally dissapointed cooling was compromised in order to achieve quieter operation. Even at sub-GTX 580 clocks the GTX 590 gets way too hot IMO.

Did anyone honestly think that NVIDIA could put two GTX 580 GPUs on a card and not have to downclock it severely in order to maintain decent temperatures? Is it a surprise that they had to make so many compromises to get what they've got now? Honestly, I think a 6GB card with dual GTX 580 GPUs and a watercooling solution would have made more sense than the GTX 590 we actually got. You'd be foolish to buy the current card over dual GTX 580's, the HD 6990 or a pair of 6970's.

Has anyone posted pictures of their card that supposedly fried at stock voltages and speeds etc.. The guy a page ago who said "Oh and before anyone asks I don't have a camera" sounds like a liar.

Who doesn't have a camera even a shitty one. On their phone at least. I mean cmon seriously no way to take a pic. Hmm sounds like it, smells like it... yeah. If I was so pissed that I could scream as he says I would make it a personal mission to post pics of the card for EVERYONE to see.

I'm starting to believe there IS a problem with these cards I just wish there wasn't enough fanboy involvement to actually make me skeptical.

I really wish nvidia would have made the card I talked about

Dual GTX 570 version

2.5GB RAM per GPU 20 gddr ram modules instead of 24, (320 bit bus) )maybe they should have even used dual GF 110 480 core chips as they require less power and run cooler Everyone would think it's like a GTX 570 and probably has crappy VRM's and not overclock/overvolt so aggressively :D

Has anyone posted pictures of their card that supposedly fried at stock voltages and speeds etc.. The guy a page ago who said "Oh and before anyone asks I don't have a camera" sounds like a liar.

Who doesn't have a camera even a shitty one. On their phone at least. I mean cmon seriously no way to take a pic. Hmm sounds like it, smells like it... yeah. If I was so pissed that I could scream as he says I would make it a personal mission to post pics of the card for EVERYONE to see.

I'm starting to believe there IS a problem with these cards I just wish there wasn't enough fanboy involvement to actually make me skeptical.

I really wish nvidia would have made the card I talked about

Dual GTX 570 version

2.5GB RAM per GPU 20 gddr ram modules instead of 24, (320 bit bus) )maybe they should have even used dual GF 110 480 core chips as they require less power and run cooler Everyone would think it's like a GTX 570 and probably has crappy VRM's and not overclock/overvolt so aggressively :D

This is the closest I have seen so far.

Pretty much my sentiments. There was no way NVIDIA was going to compete against AMD in the dual GPU realm without making serious sacrifices, given that the AMD cards had a big thermal and power advantage. And the NVIDIA GPUs cant be cheap either, so it looks like they skimmed somewhere to keep cards cheap and within reasonable thermal and power characteristics

They should have used a triple-slot air cooler IMO.

Originally Posted by Greg Brown
It was my first overclock on the card, which was why I was running 3dMark11 on loop to check stability. The gpu clock was at 650Mhz and memory at 3600Mhz (1800Mhz in MSI Afterburner) so I'd barely started overclocking the card. After the horror stories going around the net I'd left 'voltage change' turned off in Afterburner so the card was running at its default 0.913v. It was part way through it's eighth run through of 3dmark when the fan noise started getting quieter and quieter. The instant the card went silent, I knew, but I couldn't leap across to the psu fast enough to yank the cable. Bang! Flash! Smoke!

The driver was v267.84, downloaded Wednesday from Nvidias site.

PS. I'd run Heaven for an hour at stock clocks just before doing the above.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18779995&postcount=113

The latest drivers nvidia has released for the 590 have the card downclocking below 600 Mhz. The card is dropping as low as 550mhz when the OCP kicks in while gaming.

So nvidia is now having to reduce performance from stock to keep the card stable. Hopefully we will start to see review sites revisiting their reviews soon with the new drivers to show the loss not improvement in performance drivers are bringing to these cards.

This is unacceptable on nvidia's part, to now reduce the consumer's performance to keep the cards on the market.

It's time for a recall.

Last edited:
Yakk what thread was this posted in? I read the photo url and the photo is named Quemado which is spanish for Burnt, yes Lord_Exodia is latino!

That was posted by a Brasilian whose GTX 590 died at stock.
He also managed in 2 months period to do this:

Gigabyte P67 UD7 B2: killed by the PCIe

Asus P6T7 supercomuter, functional but it is impossible to make that work .. RMA Raid 0

Gigabyte X58 UD9, died without knowing how or why ..

Asus Maximus IV b2 dead in the same way as the previous .

This is the closest I have seen so far.

ELP3 said:
But well have been 10 RMA in the past 2 months, and almost all parts VERY expensive .... 4 plates, 1SDD, 2 graphics .. etc. .... etc. ...

This borders on the unhealthy, it is VERY expensive, we are not in a position to throw money away like that ... I have enough, I can the homebuilding but I can more impatient, can not go on, I must go on ..

I'm no master of the OC

No you're not. YOU'RE A MASTER BLASTER

Been looking for a component analysis, and found one here.

The translation is horrible, but it is interesting.

I am not an electronics engineer, but this may have something to do with the AMD Challenge after their engineers analyzed the card.

Yakk what thread was this posted in? I read the photo url and the photo is named Quemado which is spanish for Burnt, yes Lord_Exodia is latino!

Right now I wouldn't take anybody's word in a forum post, I've been looking for information on components used, and which seem to fail.

This is why I had asked what wattage is the card rated for when the review here first was issued and found out nvidia changed the spec wording to "horsepower".

OC'd or not, the safety factor for this card seems to be clearly lacking.

3-slot stock TEC/WC hybrid cooler maybe? For the longest time in AGP, dual-slot coolers were deemed combersome and restrictive to system upgrading except for the people that bought the cards.

They might as well start releasing 3-slot coolers because the people running these cards on the boards they will be run on can accomodate 2 - 3 cards still even at 3-slots.

I remember hearing people complain non stop about 2-slot coolers blocking this and that but now they are the norm, maybe it's time to kick things up a notch for high end cards? Allow for dual fans in coolers, room for TEC or WC hybrids?

With the new XL ATX OC/Gaming class boards out you could make a 3 card system using 3-slot coolers given you'd need a case with 12 pci slots in the rear but they have those available in non server cases now too. Maybe a 4 card system at 3 slots per card would be a little outlandish but who is gonna need that much horsepower? 8 modern GPU's for what?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Final8y.

While over there I couldn't help but notice the P***K that thinks just because I don't have a camera this makes me a liar. I take that to heart in a very big way...

So without further adue I've borrowed my neighbours camera phone and taken a couple of shots. Just to show I've got NOTHING to hide I've included a shot of the packing box with my RMA slip taped to the top.

29032011014.jpg

29032011015.jpg

29032011016.jpg

29032011018.jpg

Since I don't have a forum account over there anyone want to point him and anyone else thinking I'm a liar to the pictures.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18781867&postcount=140

Funny it burnt right above the "QC Passed" sticker :D

/back to topic

Okay, I'm convinced, do me a favor Final8ty tell greg b nothing personal and I appologize. There is just so much fanboyism regarding this issue that it is making everone skeptical on both sides because it's hard to tell when it's a false report being blown out of proportion by a fanboy. He has proven his case and I even believe he didn't over-volt it. Nvidia fucked up plain and simple. The GTX 590 is officially a piece of shit in it's current design. They couldn't sell one to me for $100 let alone $699.99. After days of deliberating on the issue and trying to collect the facts with an open mind I come to a conclusion E.P.I.C.F.A.I.L.

The latest drivers nvidia has released for the 590 have the card downclocking below 600 Mhz. The card is dropping as low as 550mhz when the OCP kicks in while gaming.

So nvidia is now having to reduce performance from stock to keep the card stable. Hopefully we will start to see review sites revisiting their reviews soon with the new drivers to show the loss not improvement in performance drivers are bringing to these cards.

This is unacceptable on nvidia's part, to now reduce the consumer's performance to keep the cards on the market.

It's time for a recall.

eh?????

That's just wrong on so many levels...

That was posted by a Brasilian whose GTX 590 died at stock.
He also managed in 2 months period to do this:

Gigabyte P67 UD7 B2: killed by the PCIe

Asus P6T7 supercomuter, functional but it is impossible to make that work .. RMA Raid 0

Gigabyte X58 UD9, died without knowing how or why ..

Asus Maximus IV b2 dead in the same way as the previous.

The truth comes out.

Oh, and this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?[/SIZE]p=4791289&postcount=37

"My disappointment was complete, but we had to do, had to go ahead with a change in strategy. Although we have identified points of connection for both your voltmod GPUs, not in this article was to be no serious test of endurance for the VRM, voltage because I wanted to apply was 1.3 V, still lower than the case of HD 6990"

1.2V is not safe for a single 580, but this Romanian blames "weak VRM's" because 590 can't do 1.3V?

:rolleyes:

Any other "stock voltage" case to debunk?

Okay, I'm convinced, do me a favor Final8ty tell greg b nothing personal and I appologize. There is just so much fanboyism regarding this issue that it is making everone skeptical on both sides because it's hard to tell when it's a false report being blown out of proportion by a fanboy. He has proven his case and I even believe he didn't over-volt it. Nvidia fucked up plain and simple. The GTX 590 is officially a piece of shit in it's current design. They couldn't sell one to me for $100 let alone $699.99. After days of deliberating on the issue and trying to collect the facts with an open mind I come to a conclusion E.P.I.C.F.A.I.L.

Greg b has been informed.

Both ATI & NV dual cards are not really upto scratch this time around for various reasons.

I really don't see how they missed this with testing..
Same here. These cards blowing up seems to be pretty common amongst enthusiasts - aren't these boards tested internally in "worst case scenarios" ? I would assume this would have caught these flaws.

Where are these new drivers, btw? I thought I read that 270-series drivers were posted today but I can't find them.

Dual cards should just be just done with. Work on sli and crossfire software instead.

Back