This is why GTX590s blow up. Infrared thermography: GTX590 vs HD6990

We're talking component temperatures, right?

Saying

and then in a next sentence claiming that that doesn't apply to your card is a bit weak.

And you guys have yet to make the case that non-overvolted / non-OC-ed cards explode.

there are cheap Power Regulartor Modules and there are quality Power Regulator Modules. Obviously ATi choose quality ones as you do not see their cards dying due to these issues.

Since I work in the electronics field and have fundemental understanding of what happens when transistors get too hot or have too much power pulled out of them. I can tell you that the VRMS are WEAK on this card and they suffer FAILURE when the card gets too hot......

Ti (Texas Instruments) makes MOSFETs that can endure temps up to 150c...maybe Nvidia should have used them?

No sry. Didn't mean to make it like they have to prove it to me.
But rather to make a plausible case. That cards operating in normal conditions do croak.

We don't even know the volumes. So how can u even begin to pass judgments based on several cards for an unknown amount that got shipped. So they busted several. Cards get busted very day.

If u overvolted 570 and 1.2 and came whining to a forum ud be a laughing stock, because every1 knows 1.2V is a dangerous. but somehow its OK to try it at dual GPU.

What's hilarious is that ppl do report OC-results with 590, but those that get fried are all STOCK lol.

Besides its no bigge. RMA is easy. So if ur gonna OC, now's the the time to OC those puppies :D

EDIT: See that line of reasoning - "Obviously ATi choose quality ones" I wont even bother explaining that 6990 also burn, because thats not the argument here, but seems everything is obvious to you guys. And hence no need to prove.

Last edited:
6990 burns? oh really? Where are the failures on the scale of the Nvidia ones? Where is the forthcomung BIOS fix?

put up or shut up.........

6990 burns? oh really?
Where are the failures on the scale of the Nvidia ones?

Yeah 6990 are also not buletproof.
What is the scale of Nvidia ones?
Do u understand that u cant have a meaningful scale till u know volumes?

Where is the forthcomung BIOS fix?

You're a little late with that rumour. And that is exactly what BIOS fix is.
A rumour, desinformation, small addition to the mass hysteria around this card.

put up or shut up.........

Ye put up a list of nvidia dead plx. Try not to post same 3 cards several times in a same thread.

No sry. Didn't mean to make it like they have to prove it to me.
But rather to make a plausible case. That cards operating in normal conditions do croak.

We don't even know the volumes. So how can u even begin to pass judgments based on several cards for an unknown amount that got shipped. So they busted several. Cards get busted very day.

If u overvolted 570 and 1.2 and came whining to a forum ud be a laughing stock, because every1 knows 1.2V is a dangerous. but somehow its OK to try it at dual GPU.

What's hilarious is that ppl do report OC-results with 590, but those that get fried are all STOCK lol.

Besides its no bigge. RMA is easy. So if ur gonna OC, now's the the time to OC those puppies :D

EDIT: See that line of reasoning - "Obviously ATi choose quality ones" I wont even bother explaining that 6990 also burn, because thats not the argument here, but seems everything is obvious to you guys. And hence no need to prove.

And how are they meant to go about giving a plausible case in your opinion, by doing what exactly ?

Last edited:
Blimey how the hell would I know. I'm not a lawyer.

So many cards gets killed that Nvidia is legally obliged to replace the remaining ones?
That shit does happen u know.

Oh and if this does happen en masse, be sure that they would offer some kind of remedy be4 any legal proceedings.
Too much is at stake.

Blimey how the hell would I know. I'm not a lawyer.

So many cards gets killed that Nvidia is legally obliged to replace the remaining ones?
That shit does happen u know.

Well you just contradicted yourself.
As if you were one of the unfortunate 590 users you wouldn't be able to do yourself what your requesting from others because you have not thought about any feasible way of proving it.

WTF is this. Now I have to envision their class action suit?

I'm too stubborn because I'm not 100% sure that overclockersclub and xtremesystems dead 590 died stock while rendering Notepad.exe

BTW

NEITHER of the reviewers killed their 590 at stock imho

Ppl from lab501 STILL claim they did, but tbh it's highly unlikely with so much OC-ing going there.

Last edited:
WTF is this. Now I have to envision their class action suit?

I'm too stubborn because I'm not 100% sure that overclockersclub and xtremesystems dead 590 died stock while rendering Notepad.exe

BTW

NEITHER of the reviewers killed their 590 at stock imho

Ppl from lab501 STILL claim they did, but tbh it's highly unlikely with so much OC-ing going there.

Its nothing to do with lawyers or class action suit.
Its about you being unrealistic about how users who's cards have died should be able to show that they didn't OC/OV which is impossible as even the manufacturers don't expect that of users to prove the impossible when they RMA .

If you don't believe them then so be it but don't ask the impossible from people.

I still don't understand the cooler worked just fine on the cardboard card we tested it on.

:)

Does it really matter if they blow up because of stock or a few 100mV of overvoltage?

When I overvolt my AMD 6950 too much I get artifacts on the screen because the GPU doesn't like too much voltage. When I overclock it too much the screen freezes up. In neither case does any part of my hardware explode, because they apparently used regulators with some headroom unlike nVidia.

lab501.ro is quoted around as dead@stock.
Are u saying that in the middle of all those overclocks that particular card missed all of them and died at stock?

U also think that blasting a building quality of card which comes 0.91-0.95V that cant do 1.2V,
and at the same time praising VRM which does 1.125 ->1.30V in that OC test is normal?

they did not have only one card
the one used to review games died
the one tested hardcore by poparamiro still works

passing normal conditions do not make a product great, passing extreme conditions do

they did not have only one card
the one used to review games died
the one tested hardcore by poparamiro still works

passing normal conditions do not make a product great, passing extreme conditions do

So popamiro's being alive means product is great?

there are always outliers, I guess in a month we will see if his was an outlier or not. Not enough people have gotten their hands on the card yet, I'm betting we see a fairly high return / defect rate on them from the initial findings.

but to be fair, only time will tell.

Why would anyone honestly buy this card at this point regardless of whether or not they plan on overclocking? You'd have to be an idiot to gamble with $700 when there are competing products that don't have these problems.

Why would anyone honestly buy this card at this point regardless of whether or not they plan on overclocking? You'd have to be an idiot to gamble with $700 when there are competing products that don't have these problems.

Some people simply refuse to use AMD cards. Most often citing driver problems as the reason for this. I can understand that to a degree. When it comes to multimonitor gaming I'm less thrilled with AMD's solution because of all the damned adapters you need to make it work.

Some people simply refuse to use AMD cards. Most often citing driver problems as the reason for this. I can understand that to a degree. When it comes to multimonitor gaming I'm less thrilled with AMD's solution because of all the damned adapters you need to make it work.

I think the driver performance that makes your card catch on fire is the bigger detriment in this case. :D

If you can afford a $700 GPU you can buy a DP monitor. :p

And I mean, even if you don't want to go with AMD, two 570s are cheaper and basically the same speed, or you can go with real 580s and not have any of these issues. I've been running my 580 SLI setup at 875MHz at 1.1v for almost 5 months now, no problems, works great.

If you can afford a $700 GPU you can buy a DP monitor. :p

And I mean, even if you don't want to go with AMD, two 570s are cheaper and basically the same speed, or you can go with real 580s and not have any of these issues. I've been running my 580 SLI setup at 875MHz at 1.1v for almost 5 months now, no problems, works great.

I've got 3 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC's. As I understand it no newer monitors have come out which provide a compelling reason for me to upgrade. Especially given that most of the others have scalers and terrible input lag. No thanks. I'll keep what I've got. I'm also running dual GTX 580's and that's been working great for me.

I don't have a clue what you're suppose to upgrade from 3x 3007s to. Well actually I do and it's 6x high end projector setup but the cost would be insane.

If you have $3000 worth of monitors then I think the argument about needing a $100 adapter is even less valid Dan :p I do understand some people have had bad luck with flickering and all of that, though. Do the 3011s have a DP input? I use three U2410s so I didn't have to mess with DP adapters.

Yeah 6990 are also not buletproof.
What is the scale of Nvidia ones?
Do u understand that u cant have a meaningful scale till u know volumes?

You're a little late with that rumour. And that is exactly what BIOS fix is.
A rumour, desinformation, small addition to the mass hysteria around this card.

Ye put up a list of nvidia dead plx. Try not to post same 3 cards several times in a same thread.

1. where are the nvida failures? ALL OVER THE FREAKING INTERNET......
2. what rumor?
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-gtx590-bios-rushed-out-to-repair-reputation/

I am pretty sure that if this wasn't true, Nvidia would have done something to have it removed.

I have yet to see one reviewer say that their 6990 went up in smoke....

no
his card was not tested to the extreme because of poor construction...he only put 1.1V on it with extreme custom cooling
anyway, he doesn't test performance
performance wise, GTX590 is OK
construction and reliability wise, it is not...especially for an expensive highend product

and if Nvidia is to your linking, there's always GTX570/GTX580 SLI...heck, any card can beat a DEAD card

mascotzel 2x Prolimatech Super Mega is OK, but I wouldnt call it extreme cooling, and saying only 1.1V, certainly not without VRM sinks, and with DD and EK blocks out already.

This is from NVIDIA Technical Support and was issued on the launch day:

NVIDIA has worked with several watercooling companies to develop waterblocks for GTX 590, and these solutions will help provide additional margin for overclocking, but even in this case we recommend enthusiasts stay within 12.5-25mV of the default voltage in order to minimize risk.

NVIDIA has worked with several watercooling companies to develop waterblocks for GTX 590, and these solutions will help provide additional margin for overclocking, but even in this case we recommend enthusiasts stay within 12.5-25mV of the default voltage in order to minimize risk.

In otherwords,the VRMS are not of high quality and cannot provide the additonal power without going BOOM, baby, BOOM.........

Any word on the bios update or fix for these defective 590s ?

Is nvidia releasing a pcb revision ?

I don't know anything about the BIOS fix, but I doubt that there's going to be a PCB revision. nVidia is only making a limited run of these cards and (probably) isn't making much on individual units. It'd be cost-prohibitive to change the VRMs mid-run, especially if they can "fix" the problem with a new BIOS or press releases/warnings.

I don't know anything about the BIOS fix, but I doubt that there's going to be a PCB revision. nVidia is only making a limited run of these cards and (probably) isn't making much on individual units. It'd be cost-prohibitive to change the VRMs mid-run, especially if they can "fix" the problem with a new BIOS or press releases/warnings.

and hope noone does a review post BIOS, forgotten king:p

ATI all the way for me, I don't want my system to heat up and performance to go down because of a heated card.

ATI all the way for me, I don't want my system to heat up and performance to go down because of a heated card.

Good for you. I have no issues with my GTX580. One rotten card doesn't mean a rotten product line...

well guess we even now Amd had crappy drivers and Nvidia has crappy hardware

i dunno bout you but the driver issue seems a bit more appealing to deal with

Exactly:

Incidentally, one of the juicier rumors we've heard in this whole affair is about that Sweclockers video of a GTX 590 going poof.
Some of you have wondered how the site happened to be filming that GTX 590 exactly at the point of its death.

We wondered the same, until a well-placed source hinted that the card in the video was not the first to die at the hands of that particular reviewer.
We hear Sweclockers may have sacrificed its second review unit, a replacement card, in order to obtain that dramatic video footage, recreating the conditions of the first card's failure with the camera rolling.

Oh BTW... Swedes + Romanians = Half of all the dead GTX 590 in reviews

Dead GTX 590 in reviews = ALL Europeans, maybe 1 Asia based web site

Not a single dead cards among N. America based reviewers.

Last edited:
Exactly:

Incidentally, one of the juicier rumors we've heard in this whole affair is about that Sweclockers video of a GTX 590 going poof.
Some of you have wondered how the site happened to be filming that GTX 590 exactly at the point of its death.

We wondered the same, until a well-placed source hinted that the card in the video was not the first to die at the hands of that particular reviewer.
We hear Sweclockers may have sacrificed its second review unit, a replacement card, in order to obtain that dramatic video footage, recreating the conditions of the first card's failure with the camera rolling.

Oh BTW... Swedes + Romanians = Half of all the dead GTX 590 in reviews

Dead GTX 590 in reviews = ALL Europeans, maybe 1 Asia based web site

Not a single dead cards among N. America based reviewers.

Hyena.jpg

Adrian, I'm not saying it's ur guys fault, but these are the facts.

Number of the Nvidia review cards destroyed by:

Romanians 3

Europe 6
Asia 1

North and South America: 0
Rest of the world: 0

Adrian, I'm not saying it's ur guys fault, but these are the facts.

Number of the Nvidia review cards destroyed by:

Romanians 3

Europe 6
Asia 1

North and South America: 0
Rest of the world: 0

You're right. It's totally a Romanian conspiracy to discredit the awesome of the GTX590. We all know AMD has been funneling money to those guys for years, for for this one opportunity to blow up some nVidia cards :D

Back