This Is What The 2016 Nexus Phones Will Look Like

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I was a little worried about how these phones would turn out based on HTC’s past designs, but it seems that Google gave a lot of input into how they wanted them to look. I think it’s just about perfect, except for the glossy portion on the back.

...there's no camera hump, for one, which is excellent. The secondary glossy plastic (we think - it could be glass, though) pane on the back of the phones gives them an interesting two-tone look, and this black version looks downright stealthy. The rear of the phones has a gentle curve around the edges, with the fingerprint scanner sitting in the typical Nexus position. As far as we know, these phones are aluminum body, not polycarbonate. We're confident in this because we believe the "flagship" advertised color will be a standard aluminum finish with a white face, but we figured we'd share this dark gray / black version.

Please please PLEASE let these be sub 5" in screen size, have a removable battery and have a max 1080p resolution so battery life isn't complete shit. Hell I could even live without the SD slot given rooting hasn't required one in forever if I can get those three things.

Unfortunately it will probably be retardedly big, have a unibody so the battery has garbage life after a year and replacing it is a pain in the fucking ass and some dumb pointless resolution that does nothing more than suck battery.

Looking forward to replacing my Nexus 5. :) A 5.2 inch screen would be about perfect for me.

Removable battery? In a Nexus? Yeah right, not since the original Galaxy Nexus and most likely never again, just like no microSD slots either. Guesstimating the size based on the fingerprint reader I'd say it appears to be 5.2 to 5.5".

And also, as noted in the article:

The article said:
The image you're seeing is not an actual press render, but our own recreation of the upcoming Nexus phones based on evidence from our source.

So, until such time as Google or HTC or whoever drops the real actual device photos then we'll just have to keep speculating.

man this directly deals with me as I have Google Project Fi and the phones you can use are terribly limited.

I wanted a dual lens camera and at least 5.2 - 6.0 screen. Fck that glossy look. What the hell is that? If it were left to the Chinese, everything would be bright ass blue LED's, faux chrome and glossy black.

I'll rock my Nexus 6 for another year I guess

Speculative renders, not based on any actual leaks.

The new 6 better have something close to a 6" screen.

I'm glad it is a rectangle with rounded edges and phone features. I must be getting jaded but I don't look for much in a phone anymore.

Still no front facing stereo speakers, still no sale. Hard-headed bunch of asses they are.

Big bottom chin, yet no front facing stereo speakers (once you have it, you can't go back to bottom firing ones), OR a fingerprint ID on the front? (Screw that awkward back junk!) No thanks. I'll stick to last years.

"there's no camera hump" - well that means they either made the phone thicker giving it more battery life (yeah sure) or the camera is smaller meaning decrease in quality.

Currently own the 2015 6p model and I like it, though I wish they would move the power button to the left hand side of the phone, with the power button and the zoom/volume button next to each other is rather annoying, so many times I have accidentally hit the power button when I wanted to increase or decrease the volume, and it appears this remains the same in the new model.

"there's no camera hump" - well that means they either made the phone thicker giving it more battery life (yeah sure) or the camera is smaller meaning decrease in quality.

I mean basically..I hope it means bigger battery. I can't say I ever cared about the camera hump as it is a non factor. The phone is going into an otterbox no matter what, so the hump doesn't matter in the slightest. I mean I suppose it might matter to people who are stupid and don't put their $700 device in something that protects it..but who cares about them?

Please please PLEASE let these be sub 5" in screen size, have a removable battery and have a max 1080p resolution so battery life isn't complete shit.
Why not buy a no-name random Chinese brand phone for $40 with those specs?

That's like telling Ferrari, "Oh My God, please don't give us another V12 700hp gas guzzler with a top speed I can't even use, and not enough ground clearance. Why can't they make these more like a Mitsubishi Mirage?!?!?"

Just buy the cheapo Mirage, and don't worry about a flagship monster.

Still no front facing stereo speakers, still no sale. Hard-headed bunch of asses they are.
Personally, I wish they made speakers an afterthought. Nothing is more annoying than some asshat walking down the hall at our office, holding his phone in front of him, with his speakers on max blast saying "HONEY! HONEY! HONEY! I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE CRYING. YES, I ALREADY TOLD YOU I'M GOING TO SWING BY COSTCO AND BUY THE BULK PACK OF MAXI PADS. WHAT??? YES I KNOW THE EXTREME FLOW MEGA PACKS, I KNOW. YES. NO. YES. OK, I HAVE TO GO, MY COWORKER SAID SOMETHING ABOUT PUNCHING ME IN THE NECK AND SHITTING IN MY MOUTH AS I GASP FOR AIR OR SOMETHING, I HAVE TO GO."

Get bluetooth speakers or headphones like a normal person.

The 6P bend tests scare the shit out of me :S

Was considering getting one till I heard a Nexus will come out this year. Unless I misunderstood?

Why not buy a no-name random Chinese brand phone for $40 with those specs?

That's like telling Ferrari, "Oh My God, please don't give us another V12 700hp gas guzzler with a top speed I can't even use, and not enough ground clearance. Why can't they make these more like a Mitsubishi Mirage?!?!?"

Just buy the cheapo Mirage, and don't worry about a flagship monster.

Because I don't want a cheap shitty phone? Just because I want specs that match actual use of the phone doesn't mean I want a crap one. The things I mentioned are nothing more than inflated metrics for dick waving in most cases. Not sure when wanting high performance in a smaller form factor with no unnecessary baggage became a bad thing around here.

Reminds me a bit of the OG Nexus One, also made by HTC. Loved mine for what it was at the time. Only phone with better "hand feel" I owned since then was the HTC One X.

Because I don't want a cheap shitty phone? Just because I want specs that match actual use of the phone doesn't mean I want a crap one. The things I mentioned are nothing more than inflated metrics for dick waving in most cases. Not sure when wanting high performance in a smaller form factor with no unnecessary baggage became a bad thing around here.
1080p is not a "high performance" LCD, nor does that low a resolution really need a ton of processing power for mobile gaming, nor would it even be capable of VR which is taking off now as that is far too small and low resolution.

Sub 5" wouldn't even be viable for use as an in-car GPS which most of us are using now as well with a magnetic mount.

And really, even internet browsing and gameplay in general is going to be quite challenging with a micro-display, and so most will end up using it as more of a quasi-smart phone from ten years ago, and for that you don't need the latest and greatest tech.

Removable battery means that you aren't going to have a seamless pretty case by definition like the S7 or iPhone. The only flagship I know of to have a removable battery is the LG G5, and its considered a flop next to the S7 and iPhone, as people didn't like how clumsy and not perfectly lined up the removable bottom slide out piece turned out, and that gap impacts its water-resistance.

There's nothing wrong with a phone that uses lower end specs to meet very minimalist user needs, but that's not a flagship device. A flagship is meant to be the best of the best, pushing the envelope of technology in every way past the last generation.

And personally, I can't wait to upgrade to a 4K phablet size screen with a monster processor that will handle gaming and VR and be a tablet replacement for multi-tasking split screen and so forth.

Now one sweet innovation that many are talking about are folding smartphones thanks to the flexible displays. This means that you'd have a phone that was perhaps S7 size but the display will fold out from the top to the left and from the bottom to the right, revealing a screen three times the size. So a 5.5" screen can become a 10" or whatever diagonal size that comes out to. :)

Please please PLEASE let these be sub 5" in screen size, have a removable battery and have a max 1080p resolution so battery life isn't complete shit. Hell I could even live without the SD slot given rooting hasn't required one in forever if I can get those three things.

Unfortunately it will probably be retardedly big, have a unibody so the battery has garbage life after a year and replacing it is a pain in the fucking ass and some dumb pointless resolution that does nothing more than suck battery.

Just buy an iPhone 3s

Non-removable batteries suck and basically means you gotta upgrade every two years.

1080p is not a "high performance" LCD, nor does that low a resolution really need a ton of processing power for mobile gaming, nor would it even be capable of VR which is taking off now as that is far too small and low resolution.

Sub 5" wouldn't even be viable for use as an in-car GPS which most of us are using now as well with a magnetic mount.

And really, even internet browsing and gameplay in general is going to be quite challenging with a micro-display, and so most will end up using it as more of a quasi-smart phone from ten years ago, and for that you don't need the latest and greatest tech.

Removable battery means that you aren't going to have a seamless pretty case by definition like the S7 or iPhone. The only flagship I know of to have a removable battery is the LG G5, and its considered a flop next to the S7 and iPhone, as people didn't like how clumsy and not perfectly lined up the removable bottom slide out piece turned out, and that gap impacts its water-resistance.

There's nothing wrong with a phone that uses lower end specs to meet very minimalist user needs, but that's not a flagship device. A flagship is meant to be the best of the best, pushing the envelope of technology in every way past the last generation.

And personally, I can't wait to upgrade to a 4K phablet size screen with a monster processor that will handle gaming and VR and be a tablet replacement for multi-tasking split screen and so forth.

Now one sweet innovation that many are talking about are folding smartphones thanks to the flexible displays. This means that you'd have a phone that was perhaps S7 size but the display will fold out from the top to the left and from the bottom to the right, revealing a screen three times the size. So a 5.5" screen can become a 10" or whatever diagonal size that comes out to. :)

Anything above 1080p on a 10" or smaller screen is pointless dick waving, nothing more. Don't give me that "my eyes can see shit the human eye isn't capable of" nonsense.

I don't give a rats ass about VR. Sorry if I don't see a novelty fad as something to base my phone around.

5" is perfectly viable as a GPS, heck most dedicated GPS aren't much bigger. I easily have worse vision than most around here I would wager and even I can see that without issue.

Removable battery means you can hard reset your phone when you need and replace your battery when it needs to be in 15 months average. I'm happy some of you like being forced to upgrade your phone every 24 months because the battery life is shit, but I'm not ok with forced obsolescence. As for water resistance..perhaps try not dropping your phone in the toilet? It really isn't that difficult. I don't need anymore water resistance than what my phone + otterbox provides by default. If I did, then they make specialty phones for that application.

There is lots of things wrong with phones that aren't flagship devices. There is a good damn reason no one wants to buy certain phones and it isn't because they don't have stupid shit like VR compatibility and iris scanners.

Why don't you just buy a damn tablet? You just look like an idiot with a phablet stuck to the side of your head. That said, you are more than welcome to do so. I don't really care. I just want a flagship quality phone that isn't handicapped by a bunch of useless features. Every single flagship phones doesn't have to be a contestant in the "Who can shove the most shit in it" contest they are currently in. This is the biggest problem in the android handset market right now. Every single decent one has all jumped on board the No physical access, no root, no boot loader, giant screen and basically everything that made android great not being allowed bandwagon. If I wanted a locked down phone I would of just bought an iPhone.

Just buy an iPhone 3s

How about no. I actually like being able to control my phone and even my two old as shit phones I currently have are monumentally better than that piece of shit. Currently running a Galaxy Nexus with Android 6.0.1 and a GS3 with 4.4.2, which is stuck at unfortunately because my wife allowed the OTA update that locked the damn boot loader.

Reactions: Rizen
like this
Why don't you just buy a damn tablet?
I did, I bought a tablet that can make phone calls and still fit in my pocket. Its called a Galaxy S6 Edge, and I wouldn't mind it slightly larger.

A fullgrown 10-12" mega tablet that doesn't fit in my pocket isn't mobile enough, and it needs to have cellular service built in for phone calls and texts or it isn't fully functional as an all-in-one device. So we have small tablets that have full cellphone functionality built in, and we call those phablets.
You just look like an idiot with a phablet stuck to the side of your head.
I hope this isn't too forward of me, but I honestly can't stop fantasizing about ripping your clothes off imagining you so sexily putting a really small phone to your ear. Is there anything hotter than that? I'm sure you're already drowning in tang, because you know what they say about guys with small phones... so you win that tiny phone sex appeal argument, hands down.
I just want a flagship quality phone that isn't handicapped by a bunch of useless features.
You want a small antiquated barebones phone that is somehow still called a flagship? What exactly makes it a flagship then, and not a barebones model? Is it just the idea of having "the best" phone, even if its basically a iPhone 3S?
There is lots of things wrong with phones that aren't flagship devices.
Like what? Since you're not going to do any splitscreen or gaming or even do much typing on a super small phone (means super small keyboard), why not give up and just buy a iPhone SE? Its made for you. What good is rooting a super tiny phone anyway? Can't see you doing power-user type stuff without busting out a stylus and magnifying glass. :p

I did, I bought a tablet that can make phone calls and still fit in my pocket. Its called a Galaxy S6 Edge, and I wouldn't mind it slightly larger.

A fullgrown 10-12" mega tablet that doesn't fit in my pocket isn't mobile enough, and it needs to have cellular service built in for phone calls and texts or it isn't fully functional as an all-in-one device. So we have small tablets that have full cellphone functionality built in, and we call those phablets.

I hope this isn't too forward of me, but I honestly can't stop fantasizing about ripping your clothes off imagining you so sexily putting a really small phone to your ear. Is there anything hotter than that? I'm sure you're already drowning in tang, because you know what they say about guys with small phones... so you win that tiny phone sex appeal argument, hands down.

You want a small antiquated barebones phone that is somehow still called a flagship? What exactly makes it a flagship then, and not a barebones model? Is it just the idea of having "the best" phone, even if its basically a iPhone 3S?

Like what? Since you're not going to do any splitscreen or gaming or even do much typing on a super small phone (means super small keyboard), why not give up and just buy a iPhone SE? Its made for you. What good is rooting a super tiny phone anyway? Can't see you doing power-user type stuff without busting out a stylus and magnifying glass. :p

Fast processor, lots of ram, lots of storage, ability to multi-task bigger apps. You know, the same things that make a high end PC high end even if it is out putting to the same size screen as a budget rig. Screen size doesn't automatically make something better, sometimes bigger isn't in fact better. Furthermore 4.7" is far from tiny and doesn't require a stylus or magnifying glass. Unless you are just blind and have oven mitts for hands. As for the keyboard, size doesn't matter when you are using a good input method like swype and predictive text. Typing with your thumbs is far more antiquated than wanting a phone that isn't gigantic. Construction quality makes a world of difference as well. There is a very clear difference in the hand feel of a nice high end handset and chinese cheap junk. There is nothing "barebones" about what I want in a phone. I simply don't want "Fluff". A sealed unibody phone is fluff, anti consumer fluff to be exact as you as the consumer don't benefit in the slightest from that design. Finger readers are so pathetically insecure it is laughable that anyone on a tech forum would even try to defend them, the new eye scanner is no different. Let me see if I can think of anything else the new phones have that mine doesn't..oh right that would be nothing except speed which is all I want. As I said, bigger doesn't instantly make something a flagship phone. There is plenty of room in the market for those who want a tablet and for those who don't. I shouldn't be relegated to a piece of shit phone just because I don't want to hold a damned half laptop up to my head to talk.

As for what I do? I remote into servers and switches from my phone as well as a ton of other things. Faster, more ram and longer battery life are the things that are important to me. I need my phone to do what I need it to do quickly and I need the battery to not die in a hour and more importantly I need to be able to do it with one hand. If the job is something that is going to require both hands, I have a tablet or a laptop for those jobs.

As I said to the last person. iPhone 3s isn't even a comparable product. I don't use iPhones because they cannot do the things I want my phone to do.

Reactions: Rizen
like this
Just buy Nokia's design team and be done with it. Seriously, materials and design wise, it doesn't get much better than the 920-930-1020

Fast processor, lots of ram, lots of storage, ability to multi-task bigger apps.
Like what two big apps that require a fast processor and lots of RAM? And you splitscreen those on a tiny screen? And you RDP on a tiny screen? You're citing examples of why bigger screens are becoming the norm while trying to argue against them, lol!

This.

I moved to an iPhone 5/SE type because of this. Apparently NO Android manufacturer can make a good small phone. I am not too thrilled about the iPhone not having a removable battery but everything else works fine and it is the small phone I want. The alternative would be nearly an inch bigger.

Back