This is the Samsung Galaxy S8

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While Samsung’s latest Galaxy phone will not be officially shown off until the 29th, better and better leaks have been coming through. Evan Blass recently released a marketing render (which I will post below because it looks better), but BGR has some of the first “real-life” images of the smaller variant in their article.

…the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are the most hotly anticipated Android smartphones in the world right now. We’ve seen a handful of sketchy photos leak on Chinese forums, and it remains unclear if they are the real deal. Then, on Wednesday morning, an official marketing render was posted by gadget leaker Evan Blass. The render shows a beautiful phone that aligns well with descriptions we’ve read in various reports over the past couple of months, but it’s still just a render. There’s nothing like the real thing, and BGR has obtained photos of an actual Samsung Galaxy S8.

Curved screen that will Inevitably crack in the first 6 months. No thanks Samsung. I've been with Samsung since the S3 if I recall - and have been dedicated since. I won't touch another Samsung until they get rid of these screens that crack and are next to impossible to replace.

As expected, it's still rocking a bunch of proprietary nonsense. It even has its own "virtual assistant" instead of using the perfectly functional one Google already has. Unless they offer some way to get rid of it (or even disable all of it), I'll never buy another Samsung.

As expected, it's still rocking a bunch of proprietary nonsense. It even has its own "virtual assistant" instead of using the perfectly functional one Google already has. Unless they offer some way to get rid of it (or even disable all of it), I'll never buy another Samsung.
Let's not forget about the bootloader lock. I've got the S7 for Verizon and there are all sorts of stupid programs that I can't uninstall and there's still no really stable, easy to use, root/ROM for my phone. I'll be going with the Google Pixl when I need a new phone.

If not being trapped in Is eco system is annoying enough manufacturer are trying to lock you into their shit eco system on top of it.

Yeah, gotta love Samsung having their own store (and accounts) on top of the ones Google already wants you to use. What a mess.

At this point I'm stuck either going for a Pixel 2 or hoping Motorola's recent support improvements continue.

Galaxy S8+ for me! But I think Ima have to wait until street prices drop a bit to be worth replacing my S6 Edge.

Reactions: Rahh
like this

Remember the GooglePlayEdition of the ROMs? It'd be nice if manufacturers went back to allowing that.

Or better yet, making their themes and add-ons all apps on top of the base Android OS so you can simply disable/uninstall them if you wish. It'd probably allow for quicker updates, as well.

Yeah, gotta love Samsung having their own store (and accounts) on top of the ones Google already wants you to use. What a mess.

At this point I'm stuck either going for a Pixel 2 or hoping Motorola's recent support improvements continue.

So on my Verizon Galaxy S6, I have preloaded Samsung garbage, Verizon garbage, Amazon garbage, all on top of the Google apps as well, none of which I can seem to get rid of without more hassle than it seems to be worth.

my you negative nancies, you black heart internet hate filled machines, i so happen to think it looks cool hmph.

D9YB0JS.jpg

I love the hardware. I just honestly wish everyone would go with stock Android and stop tweaking the crap out of their OS. Load it up with removable bloatware if you must, but just give me the damn stock OS and monthly OS updates like Nexus/Pixel.

Every laptop/desktop PC maker does this. Apple figured this out. Why can't all the Android makers figure this out? Do they really make THAT much money on their custom OS tweaks and apps that never get updated after the first 6 months?

I love the hardware. I just honestly wish everyone would go with stock Android and stop tweaking the crap out of their OS. Load it up with removable bloatware if you must, but just give me the damn stock OS and monthly OS updates like Nexus/Pixel.

Every laptop/desktop PC maker does this. Apple figured this out. Why can't all the Android makers figure this out? Do they really make THAT much money on their custom OS tweaks and apps that never get updated after the first 6 months?

I think it's a matter of Samsung trying to get you accustomed to their app store, their apps, their account, their interface, etc. so it's tougher to transition to something else. That's one of Apple's great tricks. It's genuinely painful to move away from their ecosystem if you follow their advice (use iTunes, use an Apple account, use iCloud, etc.). Samsung wants to do the same thing...only their software has all of the polish of a 1990's Linux GUI.

If Samsung offered a vanilla option or even just a way to uninstall their bundled apps I'd line up to buy this for retail price. Ditto with pretty much any other OEM that has good hardware.

I think it's a matter of Samsung trying to get you accustomed to their app store, their apps, their account, their interface, etc. so it's tougher to transition to something else. That's one of Apple's great tricks. It's genuinely painful to move away from their ecosystem if you follow their advice (use iTunes, use an Apple account, use iCloud, etc.). Samsung wants to do the same thing...only their software has all of the polish of a 1990's Linux GUI.

If Samsung offered a vanilla option or even just a way to uninstall their bundled apps I'd line up to buy this for retail price. Ditto with pretty much any other OEM that has good hardware.

I get their business model, I just don't like it or support it. I really think they should focus on hardware, and let Google do the software. Just like the PC world, where they all let MS or Linux handle the software side and they just do hardware and drivers. It makes for a far cleaner and less cluttered market. There IS room for their apps though. If they make a killer camera app, or a great Sumsung messager app, then pre-install them and make them available in the Google Play Store for EVERYONE.

This is the one thing that's kept me on Nexus and even had me considering ponying up for the Pixel. I just like stock Android, and frequent security updates. Samsung does neither, and has a track record of taking forever to push out patches, especially on "last year's model". I'd honestly accept their tweaked OS if they would do the monthly patches for a couple years after purchase.

This is the one thing that's kept me on Nexus and even had me considering ponying up for the Pixel. I just like stock Android, and frequent security updates. Samsung does neither, and has a track record of taking forever to push out patches, especially on "last year's model". I'd honestly accept their tweaked OS if they would do the monthly patches for a couple years after purchase.

I ended up going with Motorola, which is running a clean version of Android with 3-4 Moto apps that can all be uninstalled or at least totally disabled. Unfortunately when Lenovo took over, they swapped over to a new model of only offering updates twice per year. After getting Marshmallow only a month after Google devices got it, I'm still sitting on Android 6.0 (with a couple security patches) 16 months later.
Apparently they're starting to come around to offering more timely updates, so I haven't totally given up hope. Hopefully some other OEMs will offer a similar concept with continued support. When it came out Moto touted the vanilla version of Android as a selling point. I wish more manufacturers would realize that it still is.

I ended up going with Motorola, which is running a clean version of Android with 3-4 Moto apps that can all be uninstalled or at least totally disabled. Unfortunately when Lenovo took over, they swapped over to a new model of only offering updates twice per year. After getting Marshmallow only a month after Google devices got it, I'm still sitting on Android 6.0 (with a couple security patches) 16 months later.
Apparently they're starting to come around to offering more timely updates, so I haven't totally given up hope. Hopefully some other OEMs will offer a similar concept with continued support. When it came out Moto touted the vanilla version of Android as a selling point. I wish more manufacturers would realize that it still is.

Yeah, I did the same! I had the Moto X for 2 generations based on the fact it was clean Android and they did updates fairly frequently. I switched out after they turned over to Lenovo and the updates slowed to a crawl, then a halt.

It's not too much to ask to get updates on a regular basis, is it?

Did they get donald trump to hold the phone or is it just that bloody big? The thing looks comically large.

Anyhow I'm done with Samsung phones for a while. I'll reconsider them in the future if they stop with the ridiculous feature creep.

I have a S7 Edge but will be going with a Pixel 2 or 3 when the time comes. Curved screens suck and the bloatware and sluggishness on my S7 is gross.

I do really like Samsung Pay though.

How in the world has the idea of a glass back caught on? Let's take the most vulnerable part of the device, and spread it over the entire surface. It won't be as durable, but at least it will easily slip out of your hand. At least that was my impression of the S7 edge, which I looked out when my wife decided on the regular S7. I am limping my S5 along, hoping for something new with an sd card slot and removable battery, but I may just get another battery.

I have a S7 Edge but will be going with a Pixel 2 or 3 when the time comes. Curved screens suck and the bloatware and sluggishness on my S7 is gross.

I do really like Samsung Pay though.
But why do you need Samsung pay on top of Android pay?

How in the world has the idea of a glass back caught on? Let's take the most vulnerable part of the device, and spread it over the entire surface. It won't be as durable, but at least it will easily slip out of your hand. At least that was my impression of the S7 edge, which I looked out when my wife decided on the regular S7. I am limping my S5 along, hoping for something new with an sd card slot and removable battery, but I may just get another battery.

If you didn't download the bootloader lock update you should be able to reload your S5 with 6.0.1 stable or 7.0 at this point. Add a $10 battery and you have a whole new phone. I'm still riding a Galaxy Nexus along doing that lol. I was going to switch to my wifes S5, but she locked the boot loader by updating then bricked the damn thing a month later. I can't complain much though. At this point I have excellent battery life, there isn't anything I can't run and my phone even with an otterbox still fits in my hand.

I really like the S7 so looking forward to seeing what this one is like. I have an LG V10 also but prefer the S7 over it.

Curved screen that will Inevitably crack in the first 6 months. No thanks Samsung. I've been with Samsung since the S3 if I recall - and have been dedicated since. I won't touch another Samsung until they get rid of these screens that crack and are next to impossible to replace.

I've had a S7 Edge for well over 6 months and before that had a S6 Edge, neither of which had any issues whatsoever. I do have a case, but it's more just edge and back protection, the screen is uncovered.

Prior to that I had two iPhones, both of which ended up with cracked screens despite having cases (from the same manufacturer as I have for my S7 Edge), so... go figure.

I've had a S7 Edge for well over 6 months and before that had a S6 Edge, neither of which had any issues whatsoever. I do have a case, but it's more just edge and back protection, the screen is uncovered.

Prior to that I had two iPhones, both of which ended up with cracked screens despite having cases (from the same manufacturer as I have for my S7 Edge), so... go figure.

We have had the same experience. My wife's s6 edge hasn't had any issues at all and all her case does is add a small lip to keep the screen off the ground should she drop it. Coming on a year and no issues at all.

Not a fan of edge to edge displays on something I could drop easily. Probably Go with a HTC or LG phone on my next one, whenever that may be.

Not a fan of edge to edge displays on something I could drop easily. Probably Go with a HTC or LG phone on my next one, whenever that may be.

Since when do we purchase items based on being clumsy? I do not enjoy the Samsung ecosystem, so this is a very generic idea to me, not encouraged by one companies products. I buy based on the look/features/cost and potential longevity, but I have never looked at a phone and say "shit, what if I drop it?". It just doesn't seem like a pertinent concern.

Since when do we purchase items based on being clumsy? I do not enjoy the Samsung ecosystem, so this is a very generic idea to me, not encouraged by one companies products. I buy based on the look/features/cost and potential longevity, but I have never looked at a phone and say "shit, what if I drop it?". It just doesn't seem like a pertinent concern.

Since car commercial's started advertising brakes, air bags & stop sensors.

I want this for the many significant improvements thanks to the Snapdragon 835, hopefully they make a non edge version as well. And it would really nice if they actually release the dual sim model in the US so we don't have to buy an international phone without a warranty, those asshats.

Have many of you guys actually had problems with the edge though? I saw a thread on another board a while back were most users of the edge were very happy, though there was a percent of course who regretted going edge, but a small percent.

Last edited:
Ok. Phone Cases.

Alright, I choose a case based on two factors.

1) its ability to protect the phone. Mostly for resale value and so it doesn't look like an overused hooker.
2) how thin it is. I don't want to know it's there. It is a very strong reason for my avoidance of lifeproof or otterboxes.

I still wouldn't avoid purchasing a phone based on the possibility of dropping it. I never make a hardware decision based on this. If I did I would also avoid buying anything portable, "just in case". You can't always live in fear about the "what if's".

Why are you purchasing an item based on clumsy? I thought you didn't do that? :playful:

Are you MSM? Because you handpicked one part of that sentence and ran with it. I am not clumsy. I protect it from scratches.

Back