This Is The Samsung Galaxy S8, Launching March 29

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Evan Blass has done it again, leaking things ahead of time and ruining another Samsung unboxing event, which is supposedly going down at the end of March in NYC. It—looks exactly like you’d expect, aside from the nearly edge-to-edge screen and lack of physical home button. It seems to me like the only real highlight and notable difference is the expansive screen; the battery capacities are typical, the camera’s resolution stayed the same, and the RAM size is still 4GB, too.

While the Android Nougat-powered phones may include different systems-on-chip depending on sales region — Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 in some and Samsung Exynos in others — all will have processors made using 10-nanometer fabrication methods. Performance-wise, this is said to make them 11 percent faster than the Galaxy S7 overall, with 23 percent faster graphics processing, but still 20 percent more energy efficient. That improved power consumption will be critical, because despite the vastly increased display sizes, battery capacity is said to be a relatively conservative 3000mAh and 3500mAh for the 5.8-inch and 6.2-inch designs, respectively. And while internally the 4GB of RAM remains unchanged from the past few models, 64GB is the new baseline when it comes to internal storage (supplemented by a 256GB-capable microSD slot). Charging is accomplished via a USB-C port, which is located on the bottom of the handsets next to — as Samsung will no doubt highlight in its presentation — an Apple-scorned 3.5-millimeter jack.

Not liking that fingerprint scanner location, a bit high and away for the index finger. It seems like they size of the phone will be identical to the s7 with a 0.7" bump in screen size... that's nuts!

899 pounds for the 6.2 version.

$1132 (Based on today's exchange rates, though Ars says $959)

WUT???

899 pounds for the 6.2 version.

$1132 (Based on today's exchange rates, though Ars says $959)

WUT???

Yeah, that is rather pricey. It will likely be $899 USD, but even that is a lot of a phone. I'll be able to get a new phone in May, going to have to consider whether I really want to pay whatever the monthly cost of a $900 phone ends up being.

I really tried to like the curved edge display but it really bothered me so it's a shame it's making its way across all the flagship Galaxy phones it seems.

Reactions: Sorce
like this
I heard so much speculation that the fresh new Samsung Galaxy S8 would do away with the aux jack just like Apple did. Usually when one adds a feature the other follows suit, but this was a bit different. We aren't talking about something that is vastly out dated here nor replaced by a full fledged new technology with greater performance.

So I'm glad Samsung hasn't jumped on the bandwagon of thought, yet.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Curved edge. Sorry but nope! Unless some kind of protective case is available, I'll pass. Guess I'm keeping my trusty S5 for two more years.

Curved glass... Nope. Still have my Note 4 for that reason. I'll probably have to look at another company the next time I pick up a device. After the Note 7, I'm also not sure how they think they can increase the price of their phones. At least maintain them at last year's prices and throw your customer service a bone.

I'll Stick with my Lg v20, was hopping they would get rid the curved screen. That price point I don't think so. Hopefully they don't become skynet like their last gen.

Yeah, that is rather pricey. It will likely be $899 USD, but even that is a lot of a phone. I'll be able to get a new phone in May, going to have to consider whether I really want to pay whatever the monthly cost of a $900 phone ends up being.

Hate to be the guy that complains about price, buy in my own defense this is a first ever price complaint post for me. Good God it's absurd.

Even if it were my dream phone... removable battery, non curved screen, rootable... $800 would be a hard sell.

Guess they think they can get that and need to somehow recover from the $10b Note 7 fiasco. Consumers are supposed to pay for their mistake?

I'm all for capitalism, but it's a turnoff and smacks of corporate greed. My last five phones were Samsung and looking for a Note 5 upgrade. Now I'm done with Samsung unless and until something radical changes with them.

Evan Blass has done it again, leaking things ahead of time and ruining another Samsung unboxing event, which is supposedly going down at the end of March in NYC. It—looks exactly like you’d expect, aside from the nearly edge-to-edge screen and lack of physical home button. It seems to me like the only real highlight and notable difference is the expansive screen; the battery capacities are typical, the camera’s resolution stayed the same, and the RAM size is still 4GB, too.

They had to do something with a line all geared up to produce S7s. Might as well slap a new screen and a new battery on them and call it "new".

All these people bitching like this is the only phone you can buy.

IMHO, I love my s7 edge, love the curved, screen, no issues with the Samsung skin. no issues with the battery as long as an app does go rouge and kill it. That said, moving the finger print reader will probably be a deal breaker, but I also know there are other phones, with other designs so I can just pick the one that works best for me.

Looks like my S5 will be my last Samsung, cannot stand the curved screen. If that's the true price, then Samsung can keep it. Let my wallet do the talking.

I will look into getting an HTC, they even support rooting.

like this
Sigh, I guess I just need to accept the fact that the Galaxy line is dead for me. It just keeps getting further away from what I want in a phone. Would be easier to accept if there was a high quality phone filling the gap left by the lack of phones like the Gnex-S3.

like this
I am so seriously not a fan of all the rounded edges nowadays, just not liking them at all on any device, and absolutely not a fan of devices with no removable battery so it'll be yet another pass for me as I continue using older devices that run Nougat remarkably well and breathe new life into them, sometimes pretty dramatically compared to the stock ROM firmware.

Curved edge. Sorry but nope! Unless some kind of protective case is available, I'll pass. Guess I'm keeping my trusty S5 for two more years.
They have always had protective cases for the curved edges since the S6, which also provide a bit of a lip without obstructing the edge, so that you can't accidentally press the side of the screen easily.

I'm glad they are offering the curved edge, as other phones feel so pedestrian without it since I've held and then purchased an S6 Edge. The way the content rolls into and off the screen just looks great, and edge screen functionality is a really nice touch.

My only question is... whats the resolution and Gear VR performance like? If it has an even higher pixel density, along with that greater screen size, in theory the depth of field and everything should be awesome for consuming VR media and light gaming! Especially with all that newfound extra horsepower! Loving the microSD slot as well, as that's a cheap way to store a bunch of movies.

4000mah battery or GTFO
3500mah is still quite large IMO, as a the iPhone 6 for example has a 1,800mah battery, approximately half the size and no wireless charging which makes topping off a Galaxy a snap.

I walk in and have a wireless charger right next to the door so just set my phone down. And in my car I have a wireless magnetic charger so it just snaps in place, so it tops off to 100% while displaying Waze traffic.

The only really major annoyance is that apparently Android-Auto only works with devices physically plugged in, and cars do not include a non-slip wireless charging or magnetic charging dock for phones, which is a massive oversight.

Like Apple they are getting desperate for the volume loss. Price up!

Sooooo if you have an S7 Edge.... skipping this gen is nbd. But I usually do skip a gen when it comes to these.

I am starting to have a few issues with my S5 and need a new phone soon. For what I am seeing out of Samsung it looks like I will be looking elsewhere. My S5 is great but I am not liking the direction they are heading with their new phones.

Sooooo if you have an S7 Edge.... skipping this gen is nbd. But I usually do skip a gen when it comes to these.

I agree as an s7 edge owner, really depends on the final details but at first glance seems like a minor update.

I agree as an s7 edge owner, really depends on the final details but at first glance seems like a minor update.
Which makes sense, one generation jump is never as tremendous as two gen, especially when the S7 Edge didn't release that long ago.

Nevertheless, there was no S7 Edge Plus, so for people like me that are fond of "phablets" a 6.2" one, possibly with a 4K adaptive resolution display, that has a 256GB microSD slot (something the S6 Ege lacks), and is nearly a quarter faster than the S7 while 20% more power efficient while still being as small as a 6.2" screen can possibly be is pretty tantalizing.

I think the biggest decider will be:
1) Do you game
2) Do you VR
3) Are you interested in DeX

Otherwise, who needs that much performance just to run waze, browse the web, or check email? Although Samsung has excellent split-screen functionality, with a big 6.2" screen can actually be useful for multitasking, and especially so docked where one could appreciate the added ponies under the hood.

The biggest questionmark for me personally though is if the iris scanner really works well, because then a fingerprint scanner becomes moot.

Damn you guys are courageous.

Not vanilla android so have fun waiting for updates, hopefully they actually fixed the design issues. But who needs security.

Mt wife and mother just got S7's last week.

I'm not upset in the slightest after reading this news heh.

Wife and I are out of contract and ready for new phones. Wife wanted to wait for the S8 and from what I am reading I will buy an S7 instead and she may change her mind as well. She said she was waiting for the new Note but there is no new Note coming from what I see here.

As for why?

Between an S7 and this new S8;

Pros, faster processor, better battery life, larger display
Cons, the curved edge on the display and the cost.

If I were going to spend that much money I might do like Kyle and wait it out for a Pixel 2, and that's just crazy so .... :LOL:

Maybe I will give another manufacturer a look again. From what I saw just the other day, I was sold on the S7, but maybe someone else is coming out with a nice alternative.

Actually, might as well ask. Who, has a new Android phone coming out that looks like real competition for the S7.

I'm using a Droid Turbo but not impressed with their new lineup but HTC sounds interesting maybe.

Last edited:
Damn you guys are courageous.

Not vanilla android so have fun waiting for updates, hopefully they actually fixed the design issues. But who needs security.

Personally I don't like stock Android. Maybe it's better than it was last time I tried it, but I'm not going to take a $600+ risk on it.

All those extra, uninstallable apps. They're awesome - that's why you have to pay more!

I've said it a few times now - done with Samsung across the board. Sad because they do make some nice hardware. I'm sure this phone will be just like my TV which has plenty of uninstallable apps and built-in ads. When did we get to the point to where it was good business practice to royally piss off your customers? Are there any companies out there that have any common decency left?

The fuck? What phone even has this?
None yet. Which is my point, if Samsung really wants to do something to one up Apple, switch out the headphone jack with a second usb c jack. That way you can charge and still have open usb c jack to connect audio, video, game controller, or hard drive etc. Also if the jacks are on different sides you have more freedom to route your cables.

Back