This Is The Best Way To Beat Facial Recognition

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you beat high-tech facial recognition? Wear some goofy looking tortoiseshell glasses. Nope, I'm not kidding. The results are as hilarious as they are baffling. Top row B looks nothing like Mila Jovovich. Top row D looks like bottom row C and how they matched people with the wrong sex two thirds of the time is strange.

What I'd love is some fictional stuff created for the sci-fi TV show "Almost Human" called a Flash Mask, a chemical that you spray on your face (doesn't hurt you, apparently) and what it does with respect to video cameras of most any kind is cause your face/head to appear like it's a super duper bright sparkly strobe light. Can't find a video clip of it but there's a pic in that article that should give an idea of what it looks like in operation.

Maybe someday...

In a related story, police are actively looking for this man:

7adb0938a7a392cc9da8df221ed3af27.jpg

What I'd love is some fictional stuff created for the sci-fi TV show "Almost Human" called a Flash Mask, a chemical that you spray on your face (doesn't hurt you, apparently) and what it does with respect to video cameras of most any kind is cause your face/head to appear like it's a super duper bright sparkly strobe light. Can't find a video clip of it but there's a pic in that article that should give an idea of what it looks like in operation.

Maybe someday...

Wear a bright led light on your nose. That right there should totally screw with any camera. It should make the exposure so dark that basically nothing but the "nose-light" would show up in the picture.

The only downside would be that the image might be recoverable IF the camera was shot in RAW mode. No security cameras do this and most camera owners shoot in jpegs as well.

A "flash mask" would never really work as when a camera sees something bright it auto adjusts the exposure down to compensate.

Or you could just to the super easy thing and wear a ski-mask.

Did you look at the picture in the article? :D

I mean, it's a future-tech based show so, at this point in time it might not be possible but in the future, who knows - I'm 100% certain there's somebody working in a think-tank basement lab on just such a thing right now. Wearing a ski mask is highly impractical considering you'd have to wear it constantly to have any useful effect so, no way you're gonna be walking out of your home or wherever with such a thing on all the time. :p

The system I worked with used three biometrics, facial recognition, fingerprints, and iris scans. When looking for matches between newly captured data and that already existing in the database, the system put the greatest weight on the iris scans, then looked for matching prints, and the facial recognition data came in last and rarely over road the others. In practice we first searched on Iris only which was so accurate it was scary. Then we had some that would match on prints, but if you only had a couple of prints to work with it usually gave a lot of false positives. In cases where no iris data was captured, prints frequently produced false positives and just a quick look at the facial pics could help rule out many possible matches as the people just couldn't be the same guy, still, sometimes it was close.

I would look at a facial recognition system to make a fast scan to narrow down a candidate group so follow on scans of iris or prints would have fewer possibles to search speeding up the process. For instance, you are waiting in line at the airport for an overseas flight. The camera does a fast photo recognition scan in order to select the closest 20 possible matches, then use another biometric against this subgroup that is far more accurate but not too slow given the initial screening done by the facial recognition scan previously.

Wear a bright led light on your nose. That right there should totally screw with any camera. It should make the exposure so dark that basically nothing but the "nose-light" would show up in the picture.

The only downside would be that the image might be recoverable IF the camera was shot in RAW mode. No security cameras do this and most camera owners shoot in jpegs as well.

A "flash mask" would never really work as when a camera sees something bright it auto adjusts the exposure down to compensate.

Or you could just to the super easy thing and wear a ski-mask.

And if the camera is IR ?

At this point assuming that you live in a dystopian future where everything is recorded and your every move is tracked is the best policy.

Maybe someday...

If the camera has IR lights on (and the IR filter off) like many security cameras in low light (after hours) situations, it may work if it was a glitter like spray. It'd reflect the IR back into the lens.

They are working on new software and hardware solutions that allow them to identify via a persons height, arm sway, gait. Basically, your body language. Not only that, they can id via reflection. The can ident from the lower portion of ones face, lips, chin, nose, etc.

They are even discussing banning head-ware, helmets and full face masks at airports, heavily populated areas, sporting events, etc.

Do you guys not watch the news or visit science news websites?

Top row B looks nothing like Mila Jovovich.

It KINDA does if you look at how the glasses change the shape of his eyebrows and give his eyes the darker eyeliner effect in shadow. Facial recognition uses point to point comparison, proportions, highlights of features and contrast. So if you really really really squint, cross your eyes and slam your head into the wall, they can look kind of similar.

They are working on new software and hardware solutions that allow them to identify via a persons height, arm sway, gait. Basically, your body language. Not only that, they can id via reflection. The can ident from the lower portion of ones face, lips, chin, nose, etc.

They are even discussing banning head-ware, helmets and full face masks at airports, heavily populated areas, sporting events, etc.

Do you guys not watch the news or visit science news websites?

So you just have a bunch of different ways to walk/move depending on a randomly generated rule set.

Just let them try to ID me by my "body language".

This reminds me of the "Punisher 2099" series where he had a "Face-scrambler" to escape from facial recognition software. Cameras were everywhere and he just wore a device to scramble his face.

And if the camera is IR ?
Every camera is IR. That's why you use a bright IR led collar that is invisible to anyone you walk past, but your head will appear as a white splat on cameras. Unless they put an IR filter on the camera.

Well, like I said earlier, anyone who is serious about checking your identity will not rely solely on Facial Recognition which is a very inaccurate technology as it stands today. They might use it where it is less important and where they don't need a high confidence factor. But if they want to get serious they will use other identification means and may supplement them with facial recognition either as a way to confirm through multiple techniques or more likely a rapid way to pre-sample in order to reduce the number of records they have to match up when you get to the next more accurate technique.

So let's say they are using iris scans but a search on irises averages 4 minutes. But they use facial recognition to pre-screen candidates in order to reduce the search time for irises to 10 seconds.

Back