This Is Not An Oculus Killer

When i was a little kid i also wanted to be like Kurt from MDK.

Mdk1cover.jpg

Looks more like a neck killer to me. Does it come with free visits to a chiropractor?

I didn't check it out .. I also didn't check out the Oculus. The line was too big. But I did see this.

The Omni treadmill looked impressive in person. They had a FPS going with a rifle in hand. I don't know how much was "acting" to make it look like he was interacting appropriately (IE: do I actually have to aim the gun?). But it was the closest thing to a VR system I've seen outside of the expensive military simulators.

That thing looks like the guy is trying to be the Alien from AvP or Alien:Isolation.

Good luck with your product.:eek:

They didn't get the memo. The trend is to get AWAY from huge, clunky, heavy VR gear. NOT embrace it.

I can't help but think this is a spoof by some bored, cynical millionaire....

Does anybody else also feel like this thing should have been a prop in Spaceballs?

You just have to scratch your head and wonder how people can be so oblivious...

Strapping a bloody TABLET to your face is no where near the same as what the Oculus does and no one in their right mind would pick this over it.

I just wonder how on earth they got the money to afford a booth beside the rift and to develop this...

My theories:

A) The booth was set up by Oculus themselves, to make Oculus look better in comparison

B) They are guerilla-shooting a scene for an indie film, in which competition in the cut-throat technology startup market is integral to the plot.

C) Bros lost a bet to their CS professor last semester.

That it could actually be legit just doesn't make sense.

So far, thought...there's no Oculus to kill that I've seen...;) IMO, the whole VR/headset concept is obsolete by at least fifteen years--a solution in search of a problem.

Might not be an "Oculus killer" but it's definitely a hope-for-ever-losing-your-virginity killer.

can't be bothered to read the article but unless the whole pc is in that space hero helmet, i'd say someone is trolling us. good effort. 3/10 would risk trying it

the only logical explanation is it's a bogus company setup by Oculus as a joke, or even an attempt to make their product look that much better compared to "alternatives"...

You just have to scratch your head and wonder how people can be so oblivious...

Strapping a bloody TABLET to your face is no where near the same as what the Oculus does and no one in their right mind would pick this over it.

I just wonder how on earth they got the money to afford a booth beside the rift and to develop this...

Actually, strapping a tablet to your face is exactly what the Oculus Rift does (the DK2 contains most, if not all, of a galaxy note 4).

The only difference is that the Rift has the tablet smashed right up against your face, with lenses to correct for the extreme closeness (and software to correct for the resulting lens distortion)

The GCS3 (catchy name isn't it?) sets the screen back far enough that the lenses aren't needed, but this turns it into more of a VR helmet than VR goggles.

Actually, strapping a tablet to your face is exactly what the Oculus Rift does (the DK2 contains most, if not all, of a galaxy note 4).

The only difference is that the Rift has the tablet smashed right up against your face, with lenses to correct for the extreme closeness (and software to correct for the resulting lens distortion)

The GCS3 (catchy name isn't it?) sets the screen back far enough that the lenses aren't needed, but this turns it into more of a VR helmet than VR goggles.

I was under the impression that yes while It does use screens and things form Samsung tha tit uses two of them, one for each eye or such.

Ok The Verge claims that it is a Billionaire trolling... >.< >.< >.<

I wish i had the ammount of money he must have to do that kind of trolling.

needs bigger headphones so it looks like a giant micro shlong, if that makes sense

I was under the impression that yes while It does use screens and things form Samsung tha tit uses two of them, one for each eye or such.

No, the Oculus Rift uses a single LCD panel. But because the panel is so close, each eye can only see half the panel.

I know that the DK2 uses the same samsung low-persistance OLED screen that's in the Note 4, I don't know what else they used from it

LMAO!!!
I love VR tech, but seriously, what the hell is this?

I mean, what the hell is this??? :eek:
Man, I love cyberpunk tech even more, and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing this! :D

2014-12-15-kicked-out.png

cultEX.png

No takers on the 3d HEAD part huh..

In defense of oculus, that thing is what VR looked like not too many years ago.
They are making progress of sorts.

Back