This is how your server room should look

Zip Ties aren't bad unless you leave a little bit of slack in them. Yes, if you yes the tighten-functionality of it to sinch them down = bad thing.

While that server room looks nice, it does lack a bit of functionality. IMO when you start cutting things EXACTLY like that, you lose the flexibility of being able to swap things around should you have the need. But then again aside from a switch failing I guess you'd never have that need.

Nice back of the patch panel. Who can't make the back of the panels neat? :rolleyes: Cables going into the back of the panel can be zipped up. If you're swapping cables out so often you need velco you got another issue.

So much for hot swapping a bad part on those servers. I'd like to see them pull one out without pulling the power on it as well. lol

Don't get me wrong it's cool and all but its lacking some major functionality.

The back of the patch panels at work look like the third pic. I would post pics, but I bet the NDA covers the server room.

good job
cross talk is probably zero there

i agree if you ever had to service anything there wouldn't be any play or give. seems like it'd be really easy to pop off a connector

Nice work. I don't mind zip ties on the back, once done, you've not back there doing anything to 'em for the life of the setup. Pictures show they didn't over-cinch the zip ties too tight, which is one common error seen with zip ties, but as the pics show, they can be done correctly. Plus a lot of the zip ties in the pics are the stretchy types that cannot be over-cinched too tight (easily see on the orange cables). On the very very rare chance you have to go take it apart, since they're not overtightened...takes 2-3 seconds to slip a thin pair of snips in there to cut 2-3 zips free to do what you gotta do. But again, once you've tested your cable runs in a setup like this, you're pretty much never back there again having to un-do anything unless you have a big disaster like the building took a lightening strike.

those server racks are done stupidly also... all the cables are to length so you can't pull out the servers out of the rack?

fail

those server racks are done stupidly also... all the cables are to length so you can't pull out the servers out of the rack?

fail

It's just a power cord and 2x net cables...servers are headless (so no ps2/usb/vga cables to worry about).
99% of the time if you need to replace a part on the server "hot swap"...it's a hard drive (easily done from the front without sliding out), or a power supply (easily done from the rear without sliding out).

Any other time I've had a server slid out to work on it..that server is down, off...so the 2-3 seconds it takes to pull the power cord and patch/fiber cables...not really a big task IMO.

Zip Ties? No wai. Velcro ftw.

gaaaahhhh!!! zip ties!!!

moar velcro!!

Zip ties = evil, unless you leave them really loose they will slowly dig into the cable and cause the cable to fail(especially if it's fiber). We use wax-string in all of our data centers, used to use zip ties but wax-string fits any size cable bundle and it's cheap. That and the telco guys know how to tie all the knots and make it look nice

To the 3 above. What's wrong with zip ties? It's very common to use zipties on permanent infrastructure (except fiber). There is no harm if you actually know how to use a ziptie (ie, not squashing the cables).

Wax string is still ideal, but not many people knows how to actually use it (eg, people just tie regular knots).

As for the article, thats how our data center looks.

fail

I was thinking the same thing.

We have wiring arms on the back of our servers (Dell 2950's) so we eliminate the need of unplugging cables just to access the inside.

To the 3 above. What's wrong with zip ties? It's very common to use zipties on permanent infrastructure (except fiber). There is no harm if you actually know how to use a ziptie (ie, not squashing the cables).

Wax string is still ideal, but not many people knows how to actually use it (eg, people just tie regular knots).

As for the article, thats how our data center looks.

I just don't like zip ties on cabling. What if I need to get in there again and their is no room for the snippers? I prefer velcro or some other solution that doesn't require snipping things off of a bunch of cables. :D

No flexability what so ever,

What if i wanna plug a cable in somewhere else huh?

I just don't like zip ties on cabling. What if I need to get in there again and their is no room for the snippers? I prefer velcro or some other solution that doesn't require snipping things off of a bunch of cables. :D

yeah and if you do use zip ties watch out when you cut the tail off. if you don't cut it completely clean they make perfect barbs for cutting the crap out of your hands when you reach in to do something.

Nice. I just wish the people I have worked with had that same kind of commitment to keeping things neat.

Geek Pr0n++ :p

Looks very nice indeed, quite a difference from the 'a terrible disaster just took place and now everyone is going to die' pictures on the other link :D

That looks great, only problem is if you have to replace a server or switch. We started out to do that where I work. We ran into problem as soon as the equipment hit end of life. I can see where it would work if you had a brand new data center with all new equipment, just not with the old and busted crap we have.

I helped one of my friends with an on-site job he was doing for an HVAC company. they had their server room stuffed in a small closet, and it wasn't as bad as that, but it was pretty bad.

All we were doing was adding a 24 port patch panel to their wall mount patch panel rack and running the cables to the office area they added (reclaimed some unused space in thier workshop/garage area.

What was hard was getting a ****ing ladder in thier to lift the ceiling tiles and toss the cable.

It wasny anything fancy.

2 hp procurve switches, a PIX firewall, a DSL line for internet, a T1 line for the connection to the main office, and a dell poweredge for local file storage\etc.

I wish i'd taken pics.

Improper use of orange cables. Not bad overall though.

There is no color-code which states the use of ethernet cabling and its purpose. There are however publically accepted methods and common methods.

You can use any color you desire.

You can pick the pin, if you are good it's easy cheesy. But yeah, nothing beats velcro.

yeah and if you do use zip ties watch out when you cut the tail off. if you don't cut it completely clean they make perfect barbs for cutting the crap out of your hands when you reach in to do something.

You should use nailclippers or curved snips, that solves your problem with the sharp ends.

There is no color-code which states the use of ethernet cabling and its purpose. There are however publically accepted methods and common methods.

You can use any color you desire.

You can pick the pin, if you are good it's easy cheesy. But yeah, nothing beats velcro.

You should use nailclippers or curved snips, that solves your problem with the sharp ends.

Typically at work I use a zip tie gun allows for selected tension and cuts it clean. I've just worked plenty of places where the person prior to me just cut them with wire cutters then I come along and get to be their victim.

Back