This is how I feel right now.

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
11nzh6.jpg

Holy crap hurry up already AMD and NVIDIA, the news cycle is so boring without any leaks or new parts.

Its gonna be a long wait. Its already been a long wait. Everyone is gearing up their dicks for VR. I hope this next gen is a serious improvement.

getting that many transistors to function at that process level is going to take a bit more time. Intel's CPUs are a lot less complex and thus somewhat easier to do. Intel has stated that going from 22 to 14nm process was a extremely difficult thing to do. Now imaging trying that with a GPU with nearly 7 Billion transistors

Last edited:
I know it's a complicated process. And honestly, I'm not too disappointed that I haven't been compelled to buy a new GPU every year like from 2009-2012. But I have a couple of games I'd really like to be able to push at 100fps+ maxed out, and I can't do that with my single 980 Ti. So whoever has the best high-end 14nm solution, I'm going to get 2 of them. Just don't want to wait a whole lot longer!

Actually I have the opposite feeling after seeing the AMD roadmap which leads me to believe that the new card with HBM2 is in 2017 and if you check the size of the chip then supposedly this one is the largest.
Waiting for release of Polaris this year but just as a preview of what to buy next year ...

AMD showed working silicon for both Polaris 10 and 11, so they look to be set for a near future launch. Nvidia so far as far as I can tell have not showed any hardware working to the public - may mean they don't have it in a good enough state or it may mean absolutely nothing. I don't expect any big leaps in performance overall over previous top end gpus on initial launches, but by end of this year I do believe AMD will be first with a gaming high end (big chip, HBM2) gaming card as well as HPC cards that will perform extremely well against current generation high end.

There's a new game I want to play that lists a recommended requirement of a GTX 970, and a few that even suggest 980Ti... this bothers me, because the games are starting to demand high-end parts that run hot and draw a lot of power. God forbid they start suggesting SLI... I really hate wasting two slots on graphics, because that means I don't have enough lanes for a soundcard or anything else I want to run.

Generally speaking, when things get to that point, I wait for the next generation of GPUs so I can get a mid-range card instead of a high-end one... but it seems like this generation has been dragging on a little bit. GTX 9xx cards have been out since 2014, and I purchased the one I have now in 2013... so it's frustrating that they expect me to purchase a 2-year old product now to replace a 3-year old one, when something that blows it away is probably just around the corner. The sticking point is my 2GB of VRAM... games are wanting 3 or 4GB now even for 1080p, and everyone said at the time you only needed that much RAM for 4k.

There is always something "next year". You just gotta take the plunge or you'll never stop waiting.

Or will be some like Nvidia 800 serie, that never shown up, ending after 2 years with 900.

I believe there was an OEM 800 series, just like AMD had an OEM-only 8000 series (8970 etc). Naming schemes don't matter anyways, it matters what GPU they are using.

Or will be some like Nvidia 800 serie, that never shown up, ending after 2 years with 900.
Except the 800-series did show up in the form of mobile hardware. Previously, the 100- and 300-series were released as OEM parts.

Back