This is a new one.. the motherboard (new) amazon sent me ... has a horrible perfume smell on the box. Z690 AORUS ELITE AX

atarione

2[H]4U
This would be funny if it happened to someone else, kinda moment .. But I ordered a NEW (not openbox/refurb..etc) Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE AX and it was delievered yesterday... however I immediately noticed the A. Amazon shipped it in a plastic back with zero padding (great job?) B. The plastic bag smelled terribly like some sort of perfume (i am allergic to many things and I do not care for this) ... unfortunately the motherboard box also smelled strongly of this "fragrance" and that is making me rather unhappy.....

I tired putting the box into a plastic bag (big resealable bag) overnight with one of those fridge baking soda boxes where it has the mesh you open to supposedly keep ordors in the fridge /freezer down...then put that outside the house overnight in a storage shed.... don`t want this smelly motherboard box in the house... I guess this is going to be one of the funnier RMA requests... because the box still reeks and my allergies will not allow this to be in my house... (I haven`t opened the plastic bag the motherboard is in to see if the smell infested it as well.) But even if not I wouldn`t be able to retain the box as the fragrance is very irritating.

Wow.... I have had a build delayed due to a DOA motherboard a couple times... but never because of a "smelly" motherboard.... hahahahahaha what a pain in the arse.

However while my allergies were not serious amazon could send people into anaphylactic shock shipping stuff like this... no good.
1662395302440.png

I am sort of furious now... was trying to figure out what to do because I need to get this pc built so that my wife can have my Ryzen 5 3600 as her current pc (my old i7 4770K) is super flakey now... and crashes randomly at a alarming frequency...

I didn`t want to risk another smelly board from amazon..but this board (which meets all of my criteria) is much more expensive at bestbuy or B&H.... $90~ more.. SO... I have very reluctantly ordered one from newegg (which makes me madder at amazon).... I really hope it is working as I`m in no mood for newegg`s bullsh*t on RMAs .... if they somehow f me on this deal I will never order anything from them ever again........ I do not want to order from them now.. but it is $200 vs $290 so it is a rather significant difference in price.

Baking soda works great as an odor absorber under certain circumstances. Not sure we can expect a miracle from it, overnight. The fragrance probably penetrated anything porous in that motherboard package. Worlds most complicated and expensive Glade Plug-In when you get the thing powered on! :ROFLMAO: Many people might've considered a feature, not a bug. Some gamer out there probably needed this. The universe is so unfair, sometimes. :D

Problems like this is why it's hard for me to purchase food from smaller grocery/general stores that ship general merchandise along with food items.

Baking soda works great as an odor absorber under certain circumstances. Not sure we can expect a miracle from it, overnight. The fragrance probably penetrated anything porous in that motherboard package. Worlds most complicated and expensive Glade Plug-In when you get the thing powered on! :ROFLMAO: Many people might've considered a feature, not a bug. Some gamer out there probably needed this. The universe is so unfair, sometimes. :D

Problems like this is why it's hard for me to purchase food from smaller grocery/general stores that ship general merchandise along with food items.
hahaha... glade plug-in comment killing me... nice... yeah.. I`m returning this whole deal to amazon...let them deal with it..hopefully they sell it to someone that needs their room /house perfumed a bit.... I do not...and I`m allergic to it..so yeah.. This isn`t a problem I would have expected but oh well...

hahaha... glade plug-in comment killing me... nice... yeah.. I`m returning this whole deal to amazon...let them deal with it..hopefully they sell it to someone that needs their room /house perfumed a bit.... I do not...and I`m allergic to it..so yeah.. This isn`t a problem I would have expected but oh well...
Weird. Very weird.

man **** amazon... so when I ordered this stuff I used gift cards for part of the order... Amazon refunded the motherboard to the gift card and will not refund the CC for the motherboard ... I ordered elsewhere.. So now I have another $250 gift card from amazon I didn`t especially want... and out of pocket for the moment at least they added another $250+ to my build costs

On the small upside my replacement motherboard arrived looking ~ok and failing to reek of perfume... so that is good I guess.... I am still pretty pissed off at amazon... I`m going to increase my efforts to not buy from them when possible and I am going to ask my family to refrain from giving amazon gift cards in future... I would have just reordered the god **** motherboard from amazon but I was worried I would get another "heavily" Scented one... what a bunch of a holes...

The last two motherboards I ordered from Amazon, they sent me used one's without a box when I ordered and had paid full price for new ones. They can really suck sometimes with computer hardware.

man **** amazon... so when I ordered this stuff I used gift cards for part of the order... Amazon refunded the motherboard to the gift card and will not refund the CC for the motherboard ... I ordered elsewhere.. So now I have another $250 gift card from amazon I didn`t especially want... and out of pocket for the moment at least they added another $250+ to my build costs

On the small upside my replacement motherboard arrived looking ~ok and failing to reek of perfume... so that is good I guess.... I am still pretty pissed off at amazon... I`m going to increase my efforts to not buy from them when possible and I am going to ask my family to refrain from giving amazon gift cards in future... I would have just reordered the god **** motherboard from amazon but I was worried I would get another "heavily" Scented one... what a bunch of a holes...
I now avoid Amazon as much as possible. I will even buy from Newegg in preference to Amazon. I believe that they have a lot of responsibility for all the fake components, thumb drives, etc., flooding the market.

The last two motherboards I ordered from Amazon, they sent me used one's without a box when I ordered and had paid full price for new ones. They can really suck sometimes with computer hardware.
wow... I would be super mad about getting used motherboard... getting one that gave me an allergic reaction to whatever perfume smelling stuff got on it wasn't ideal either... Going to seriously reconsider ordering from them moving forward.

I now avoid Amazon as much as possible. I will even buy from Newegg in preference to Amazon. I believe that they have a lot of responsibility for all the fake components, thumb drives, etc., flooding the market.

I ended up replacing the motherboard with one from newegg.. hopefully it works because if this deal gets anymore annoying I'm going to be about done with the whole deal...

Yeah, that's how they roll now. It's store credit, a la Best Buy or Blockbuster!

I mean to be fair, I don't know if I've gotten many odoriferous Amazon orders. And it's not like they did it on purpose.

Like I said, there is a grocery store near me(Dollar General) that has burned me on many occasions with dryer sheet-scented, or something, food items. Ready cereal, even flour. I couldn't tell if the odor was just on the bag of flour so I baked with it. Sure enough it was tainted through and through. Had to throw those boules out. Not that I should have even messed with their bleached white garbage flour. Now it's whole wheat from HEB or fresh-milled flour from our mill.

Did you try the chat thing with Amazon? I can see them not refunding an amount paid by gift card, but I would think the credit card portion would be reversed back onto the card it came from? Then again, I don't have experience with that.

hopefully it works because if this deal gets anymore annoying I'm going to be about done with the whole deal...

Man, you would not have liked building system in the 90s, early 2000s. Holy crap were there some legitimate scammers out there, and if you paid with debit you were just effed.

I mean to be fair, I don't know if I've gotten many odoriferous Amazon orders. And it's not like they did it on purpose.

Like I said, there is a grocery store near me(Dollar General) that has burned me on many occasions with dryer sheet-scented, or something, food items. Ready cereal, even flour. I couldn't tell if the odor was just on the bag of flour so I baked with it. Sure enough it was tainted through and through. Had to throw those boules out. Not that I should have even messed with their bleached white garbage flour. Now it's whole wheat from HEB or fresh-milled flour from our mill.

Did you try the chat thing with Amazon? I can see them not refunding an amount paid by gift card, but I would think the credit card portion would be reversed back onto the card it came from? Then again, I don't have experience with that.

Man, you would not have liked building system in the 90s, early 2000s. Holy crap were there some legitimate scammers out there, and if you paid with debit you were just effed.
I did talk with amazon and a supposed "supervisor" they both basically told me blah blah blah.... yeah we are keeping your money enjoy your gift card.. I have read a number of reports online of amazon deliveries with this "odor" It seems to be some sort of disinfectant they started using during covid? Regardless... of why the simple matter is I'm rather allergic to it and could not have kept this item if I wanted to.

While it is true that the "past" is the worst, the present isn't all that super either... and amazon just being allowed to do whatever they please and no antitrust f***s are given kinda ticks me off... I`m not entirely sure who I will order from moving forward, probably amazon sometimes just because it is the simplest / only place to get something ...but when I can I will use other sources... espeically if it is something I need to keep the packaging of / is likely to retain whatever horrid perfume smelling crap they use is.

I just gave my last Amazon order a good sniff and yeah there something floral or something there. Bit faint, though. Hadn't noticed it until I was looking for it.

Considering fragrance has no antibiotic properties on its own, and alcohol should evaporate with no odor or residue(which would be most desired, I would think), I wonder why they use a scent, at all.

Always make sure it’s sold by Amazon. Got smoked that way myself but it was a third party and I missed it.
IF/WHEN I do find a product on Amazon, I always look at other websites to see if I can find the same product there. Even Newegg (sheesh).

So I use Amazon these days as mostly a "whole earth" product catalog. I do my "showrooming" there, but always try to buy elsewhere. If Amazon's market power is not checked, it will end up selling us everything and driving out all brick-and-mortar stores in the process, except the ones Amazon owns (Whole Foods).

I know it's popular to make fun of Elon Musk these days, and with good reason, but Jeff Bezos is infinitely worse.

Honestly a cleaning container of some sort probably busted open and spilled all over it. It happens a lot more then you think. Receiving is part my job at work and can't tell you how many wet and stinky packages I get.

IF/WHEN I do find a product on Amazon, I always look at other websites to see if I can find the same product there. Even Newegg (sheesh).

So I use Amazon these days as mostly a "whole earth" product catalog. I do my "showrooming" there, but always try to buy elsewhere. If Amazon's market power is not checked, it will end up selling us everything and driving out all brick-and-mortar stores in the process, except the ones Amazon owns (Whole Foods).

I know it's popular to make fun of Elon Musk these days, and with good reason, but Jeff Bezos is infinitely worse.
I'm having a harder time now than ever finding anything I want on Amazon. Going to have to find a new "everything you want" (or at least electronics) store soon.

I'm having a harder time now than ever finding anything I want on Amazon. Going to have to find a new "everything you want" (or at least electronics) store soon.
Yeah. The Amazon search function sucks.

Hate to say it, I really do, but Newegg???? :nailbiting:

Yeah. The Amazon search function sucks.

Hate to say it, I really do, but Newegg???? :nailbiting:
I ended up getting my motherboard from Newegg after returning the "smelly" amazon motherboard.... happily it worked, I wasn't looking forward to trying to deal with Newegg in the event of a RMA... (but Newegg was $80~ less than BB or B&H... so yeah..)

Honestly a cleaning container of some sort probably busted open and spilled all over it. It happens a lot more then you think. Receiving is part my job at work and can't tell you how many wet and stinky packages I get.
hmm.. yeah I don't know? certainly possible but I have been checking any thing else my wife orders from Amazon, and most of them had a faint odor of the same nature as the motherboard, but the motherboard smelled like they just dunked it in whatever it is?... I grudge ordered a 2TB 980 Pro after Amazon ****'d me on the RMA / Giftcard refund..instead of refunding my CC. I Haven't ordered anything from them since.... I am definitely am going to do my best to order from others moving forward.

This reminds me of a package I got on the ship when I was in the Navy still. Some of my buddies who were still at home sent me a box with snacks and whatnot and thought it would be funny to wrap the whole thing in layers of colorful duct tape. They made this huge ball of all different colors and sent it.

Jokes on them, a gallon jar of pickled onions smashed on it and that tape saved my package from certain doom. God that thing smelled awful on the outside though, just absolutely disgusting after a month of travel in hot temps covered in onion juice.

Yikes! I've never had something like that happen, but I also don't think I've ever bought food from Dollar General other than snacks in air tight plastic.

When ordering from Amazon, I do take care to make sure if I'm ordering something that's smelly that:
1) I don't have any unshipped items from previous orders.
2) It goes in an order by itself, or with other similarly smelly items.
3) I don't place any new orders until it ships.

I know Amazon has no fucks to give when it comes to smashing items from multiple orders together if it thinks it can save a cent in postage.

Definitely had something like this happen to me with Amazon orders. I think in my case I guessed that it was a burst pack of powdered detergent that must have been adjacent to my product before it was packed. And I guess the pickers gave no effs? Can't say I blame them with the working conditions there...

Nearly everything I have ordered from amazon in the past 4 or 5 months has had a bit of a perfume smell to it. Around 30 packages or so.

Nearly everything I have ordered from amazon in the past 4 or 5 months has had a bit of a perfume smell to it. Around 30 packages or so.
I have drastically cut down ordering from amazon due to this / and getting sort of hosed on the Return and only being able to get a gift card balance instead of my credit card refunded. What does get ordered (mostly by my wife... because she seems incapable of understanding I have allergies?)... I demand the packaging go outside immediately (almost all of it has a hint at least of the smell that the motherboard had, and I am allergic to) and the items be checked for contamination... if so they must be returned or stay outside until the fumes dissipate... I really hate amazon now...

I do not know what amazon did to that poor motherboard but it seemed like they dunked it in whatever that stuff is... it was bad.

I ordered dog shampoo and a PSU, which came together a few days ago. Shampoo exploded. PSU was wrapped in plastic and is very clean now, but where it was sitting in the dog shampoo somehow a little shampoo got inside the plastic. Decided to return the PSU, still in plastic. They're damn well going to accept it back since they shipped the shampoo so poorly. Someone is going to get a nice smelling Antec SP1300.

Guessing something like this happened to your mobo.

Back