This guy made his own video "card," you can too.

Taking in the cost/value of my time...I'd be better of buying a reeal card...25 years ago I would have found it cool...today...meh ;)

what??? No DP or HDMI? No 144hz refresh rate? can't play crysis? :D:D

I played around with VGA output using a basic homemade dac driven by an FPGA about tn e years back, and I could never make it sync with my CRT.

I gave up on doing anything involving displays that. It' s a pain in the ass.

I played around with VGA output using a basic homemade dac driven by an FPGA about tn e years back, and I could never make it sync with my CRT.

I gave up on doing anything involving displays that. It' s a pain in the ass.
Yeah, we had to interface an FPGA board to a VGA screen for a college course. I don't remember the details, but the ultimate project was to program a very simplified version of the game "flappy bird" using a digilent basys 2. I don't remember if our board actually gave us color control or if it was mostly just digital: red on/off, green on/off, blue on/off. But I do recall having to deal with the hsync and vsync.

Yeah, we had to interface an FPGA board to a VGA screen for a college course. I don't remember the details, but the ultimate project was to program a very simplified version of the game "flappy bird" using a digilent basys 2. I don't remember if our board actually gave us color control or if it was mostly just digital: red on/off, green on/off, blue on/off. But I do recall having to deal with the hsync and vsync.

Yeah, this was also for college c;lass. I think only a few of us succeeded at making it output anything.

Luckily, failure is still worth something. I thought I had configured properly, but who knows? My analysis and code was enough to get em a B, and it was my last class before getting my MS.

As a programmer first, and a circuit troubleshooter way last, The one insight ftom this six month distraction: VHDL in sequential mode is just ADA. My professor had never made this observation., but knew how the magic of VGA sync worked :D

Last edited:
The one insight ftom this six month distraction: VHDL in sequential mode is just ADA. My professor had never made this observation., but knew how the magic of VGA sync worked :D
Never used ADA, and have very little experience with VHDL. I've only been using verilog. Like most other digital designers I usually avoid comparing any HDL to any programming language, because once in a while you see someone trying to create verilog for synthesis as if its a regular programming language, and thats when things typically break horribly.

Back