This forum quiet lately. No new issues?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering about the lack of recent postings. Is it just my system or my browser?

Yeah, pretty much everyone is waiting on the next generation. No one is buying from the current generation right now either because prices are tumbling and probably still have a ways to go.

Did someone say old GPUs?

Here's an old GPU with a screenshot from Beetle-Peepin' Simulator 2k3 on it.

20220807_230703e.jpg

other forums have same low traffic volume....

guess many have moved on to other ways of posting messages..
except a few of us old timers...

other forums have same low traffic volume....

guess many have moved on to other ways of posting messages..
except a few of us old timers...
Yah. Especially a guy like me. And maybe some of us really, really old timers are now posting to that great forum in the sky.

My " first " computer was an IBM 370/155 mainframe running MVS. IIRC it had all of 1 MB of physical memory, and no virtual memory. For that you needed a 370/158. And it used reel-to-reel tape drives, the "modern" 9 track models. How do you say P U N C H C A R D S. :ROFLMAO:

I tired to get into Reddit but I dunno, doesn't feel right

I frequent the sysadmin and some technical reddits... but it's not (ahem) like the old days.

Forums used to bring people together. One forum I ran held a lan party twice a year for many years. About 50 people who attended formed life long friendships.

These days everyone stays anonymous due to doxing.

I frequent the sysadmin and some technical reddits... but it's not (ahem) like the old days.

Forums used to bring people together. One forum I ran held a lan party twice a year for many years. About 50 people who attended formed life long friendships.
Forums at their best

Forums and the web in general at their worst.

Yeah same at my old forums Techreport, we had a yearly BBQ that many people showed up for. Happened for 16 years, until it died off along with the site after it was sold. I went to most of them from the first we had in 2004 to the last in 2020.

For my part, I had to set aside repairing dead graphics cards because I don't want it to be a job, so I decided not to take in other people's cards with the expectation that I'd fix them and send them back, and dead ones got so expensive during the Graphics Card Apocalypse buying an Porsche to work on instead seemed like the smart financial move in comparison.

I think some of the dead cards can be had inexpensively again, so maybe I should do a few more, but the Porsche is at this moment torn down in the garage, so I already know what I'm doing this weekend.

Yeah same at my old forums Techreport, we had a yearly BBQ that many people showed up for. Happened for 16 years, until it died off along with the site after it was sold. I went to most of them from the first we had in 2004 to the last in 2020.

I live in Michigan and always wanted to go to that. Never was able to wrangle the time.

The current state of that site is laughable. A waste of electrons.

Aside: I keep hoping Kyle will do something with this site here. We need some of that old school journalism.

Just wondering about the lack of recent postings. Is it just my system or my browser?
well, there are posts, the forum is not very clear, it should be edited better, some topics should be grouped into one and not open new ones for every little thing, etc., but all in all it's ok

still waiting untill two major events occurr - transitiionn to Stake in a week (will be the final ttrigger for massive mid-range NVIDIA clearance,) and release of 4090

For my part, I had to set aside repairing dead graphics cards because I don't want it to be a job, so I decided not to take in other people's cards with the expectation that I'd fix them and send them back, and dead ones got so expensive during the Graphics Card Apocalypse buying an Porsche to work on instead seemed like the smart financial move in comparison.

I think some of the dead cards can be had inexpensively again, so maybe I should do a few more, but the Porsche is at this moment torn down in the garage, so I already know what I'm doing this weekend.
Which model Porsche? What year? Stick shift?

You need to post an opposing build thread to TeeJayHoward's in the Cars/Motor Vehicles subforum.

have a few things going Hunting a RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 GAMING for a Brand new EVGA Hydro Copper Gaming FTW3 VGA Card Cooling Block found at Goodwill to go in my 12th generation build
And I also found a NIB Raijintek Morpheus II that I'm installing on one of my GTX1080Ti's
Looking forward to seeing what prices will be on the 3000 series once the mad rush for $$ starts for the purchase of newest series.

Attachments

• b126f9c1-34be-430a-b984-e9904f2b8c5faisi_08281.jpg
    b126f9c1-34be-430a-b984-e9904f2b8c5faisi_08281.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 48ae7ed9-c3cf-4f85-a4d9-42e9810c3620avid_08301.jpg
    48ae7ed9-c3cf-4f85-a4d9-42e9810c3620avid_08301.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
I deleted my Reddit account a few years ago and started posting here again. Reddit's no good.

I can understand that move.

Most of the AIO mods being sold to us were pioneered beginning in the late 90s through 2010. Some of them were on this forum. But the community was driven by innovation done my users (some of this is true in the IT engineering community as well).

Now any idiot can buy high end PC components and head over to Reddit for bragging rights. I had some yahoo try and argue that his Alienware was the greatest computer ever and that I was jealous because I "couldn't afford one".

Yea ok.

So... this place is a refuge for me as well- I get it.

Admins became more nitpicky over last 5 years here also not helpful
I got a warning for reporting a post that broke the rules stated in the top post of a thread. I have certainly been reporting fewer posts since then. Seems like rules are applied based on the mood of the person responding to reports at the time. It's not that big of a deal since people here are not really skirting the rules all the time, anyway.

I got a warning for reporting a post that broke the rules stated in the top post of a thread. I have certainly been reporting fewer posts since then. Seems like rules are applied based on the mood of the person responding to reports at the time. It's not that big of a deal since people here are not really skirting the rules all the time, anyway.
You bring attention to a rule breaker. Cool deal, we go back through the posts, and not just the one you reported, we check for context. You quote the offending post, or answer it in a rule-breaking way as well. Glass houses and all that.

You bring attention to a rule breaker. Cool deal, we go back through the posts, and not just the one you reported, we check for context. You quote the offending post, or answer it in a rule-breaking way as well. Glass houses and all that.
I don't recall that specific instance, but if I did do that in the past then I own and deserve it. That wasn't the one I was thinking of, though.

Now any idiot can buy high end PC components and head over to Reddit for bragging rights. I had some yahoo try and argue that his Alienware was the greatest computer ever and that I was jealous because I "couldn't afford one".
Ok, so the guy is a complete schmuck. Lots of those people around in some forums. Fortunately not in [H]. I would hope that people like that one would get permabanned here.

Back