This forum is hard on the eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barometer

Limp Gawd
At least mine.

The only choices are black background (drives my eyes insane), or bleached out (Hard Forum Light).

Both are really hard on the eyes imo. The light theme "Could" be ok if he light gold font color was made darker. It's a bit hard to see against the white background (for me anyway)

Not one to complain, but, why don't you folks add a theme that's a compromise?

PEACE :panda::panda::panda:

I wonder if I can tell my browser to override this forums color settings? (and not bother other sites)

At least mine.

The only choices are black background (drives my eyes insane), or bleached out (Hard Forum Light).

Both are really hard on the eyes imo. The light theme "Could" be ok if he light gold font color was made darker. It's a bit hard to see against the white background (for me anyway)

I wonder if I can tell my browser to override this forums color settings? (and not bother other sites)

Too late to gripe about it now... since it's been like this since I was a "wee" lad

Dark theme is ace, adjust your monitor to none bleach mode.

Once you get used to it, you'll find it is the best forum.

At least mine.

I've always thought [H] had the best theme of any forum I'm a member of.
If you think the dark mode here is hard on your eyes, you should see AnandTech's dark mode, especially since they updated the UI.

I never even knew there was a light theme...just tried it out...it does look weird...I do like the Dark theme though...it has the right amount of contrast and everything is easy to read...

I read this in bed because it's dark without e.g old blank your monitor plug-in for ffx. Best theme ever

haha.

It's prolly just my eyes. I see "ghost lines" after looking at the text after a few minutes.
All you guys must be like 18 years old :smuggrin:

No need to change the theme.....but adding one a bit easier on "mature" eyes would be nice. lol

I usually find a sky blue or light gray background with dark navy blue text the most comfortable to read.

Seriously, I get a headache after looking at this theme for about 10 minutes. ugh.

haha.

It's prolly just my eyes. I see "ghost lines" after looking at the text after a few minutes.
All you guys must be like 18 years old :smuggrin:

No need to change the theme.....but adding one a bit easier on "mature" eyes would be nice. lol

I usually find a sky blue or light gray background with dark navy blue text the most comfortable to read.

Seriously, I get a headache after looking at this theme for about 10 minutes. ugh.
Change theme.

At least mine.

You build it and qualify it on the top 5 browsers, and I will put it on the menu.

You build it and qualify it on the top 5 browsers, and I will put it on the menu.

First I would need to know what this forum is?

vBulletin? XenForo? pgpBB?
I don't see an identifier at the bottom? (never mind, found it)

2nd .....what do you mean by "build it" and "qualify" it?
Themes are usually readily available. all you have to do is download and install. 5 minutes MAX. 2 minutes if you're "good"
Give me admin permissions for a day and I certainly will. (holding my breath waiting)

Here's a link to FREE XenForo themes. I can't look at them because I'm not a registered user.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/free-themes.150757/

Now go install a mature user theme that's friendly to "mature" eyes.

YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!

PS.....ANY monkey who knows a bit of CSS could easily adjust the colors of the light theme.
Give me a banana and I'll do it. haha
I do a good bit of Bootstrap CSS styling so I know!

That said....this dark theme is AWESOME. Looks GREAT!. Just hard on my tired eyes.

Last edited:
At least mine.

Try tapatalk?

[H] website and forum have among the best (if not the best) themes and UIs I have ever seen on the Internet. For two decades I praised [H]'s choice of colors and layout. They really make red and black with some yellow, white and grey work. It looks awesome. Thank you guys for saving my eyes. There's no eye fatigue to be found here. One of the only websites where I don't have to use a Firefox or Pale Moon plugin to invert/change background colors and switch text colors. [H] gets left the fuck as is. The site has great contrast, easy-to-read text, and backgrounds that won't burn my retinas. I don't like being blinded with brightness. I live in the dark, mostly. Not even the white text is all that bright. The [H] is also great for mobile/portable devices, helping them save power on their displays. I really don't fucking understand why more sites don't use black or dark backgrounds. Overall there's just a clean, cool, soothing look to [H]. Very pleasing to my eyes. It calms me and puts me in the mood to relax and really soak in PC hardware knowledge and info. I said it back around 2000 or 2001, and I'm still saying it now, [H] looks fucking great. Glad [H] never really changed their theme. One of the reasons why [H] front page has been my homepage for damn near 2 decades now.

First I would need to know what this forum is?

vBulletin? XenForo? pgpBB?
I don't see an identifier at the bottom? (never mind, found it)

2nd .....what do you mean by "build it" and "qualify" it?
Themes are usually readily available. all you have to do is download and install. 5 minutes MAX. 2 minutes if you're "good"
Give me admin permissions for a day and I certainly will. (holding my breath waiting)

Here's a link to FREE XenForo themes. I can't look at them because I'm not a registered user.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/free-themes.150757/

Now go install a mature user theme that's friendly to "mature" eyes.

YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!

PS.....ANY monkey who knows a bit of CSS could easily adjust the colors of the light theme.
Give me a banana and I'll do it. haha
I do a good bit of Bootstrap CSS styling so I know!

That said....this dark theme is AWESOME. Looks GREAT!. Just hard on my tired eyes.
I mean, you do all the work to put together the theme and make sure it is 100% across a myriad of browsers. Yeah, there that QA stuff to do on websites to make sure they work on all browsers. What you see on you screen does not happen by accident.

I agree. The white on a solid back background is ruff on the eyes. This goes all the way back to the 80's.
I can't stare in one spot too long, or else shit goes 3d on me. Dark characters on a light background are
superior to light colors on a dark background. As a matter of fact. Readers are more accurate in reading
text when they read it with dark characters on a light background. Light grey is the best choice for black
backgrounds.

Regardless of what FrgMstr say's. It is a fact, But you will not get him, or anyone else in here to admit that. This is
their baby, and they will always be right. Just the nature of man, not wanting to admit, that there is a better way, then their way.

[H] website and forum have among the best (if not the best) themes and UIs I have ever seen on the Internet. For two decades I praised [H]'s choice of colors and layout. They really make red and black with some yellow, white and grey work. It looks awesome. Thank you guys for saving my eyes. There's no eye fatigue to be found here. One of the only websites where I don't have to use a Firefox or Pale Moon plugin to invert/change background colors and switch text colors. [H] gets left the fuck as is. The site has great contrast, easy-to-read text, and backgrounds that won't burn my retinas. I don't like being blinded with brightness. I live in the dark, mostly. Not even the white text is all that bright. The [H] is also great for mobile/portable devices, helping them save power on their displays. I really don't fucking understand why more sites don't use black or dark backgrounds. Overall there's just a clean, cool, soothing look to [H]. Very pleasing to my eyes. It calms me and puts me in the mood to relax and really soak in PC hardware knowledge and info. I said it back around 2000 or 2001, and I'm still saying it now, [H] looks fucking great. Glad [H] never really changed their theme. One of the reasons why [H] front page has been my homepage for damn near 2 decades now.
Thank you for saving my eyes? When they use one of the worse color combination you can use on your eyes, and you thank them for it?
You could put hover out of business.

I agree. The white on a solid back background is ruff on the eyes. This goes all the way back to the 80's.
I can't stare in one spot too long, or else shit goes 3d on me. Dark characters on a light background are
superior to light colors on a dark background. As a matter of fact. Readers are more accurate in reading
text when they read it with dark characters on a light background. Light grey is the best choice for black
backgrounds.

Regardless of what FrgMstr say's. It is a fact, But you will not get him, or anyone else in here to admit that. This is
their baby, and they will always be right. Just the nature of man, not wanting to admit, that there is a better way, then their way.

Statistics show that what you have said is true... for about 60% of people. Some of us, for whatever reason, have a hard time with dark text on light background pages. I can only read such sites for a few minutes before I start having a hard time making out the letters in the words I am reading without zooming the display. Of course, I have diabetic retinopathy, but still...

You put in the work for "the better way" and I will put the theme on here available for all. I am sure there is a better way. I just do not want to put the resources into it.

I’m pushing 50, the dark theme is fine. Is the “hot dog stand” one still available?

Is there a snowflake theme?

Corrected for posterity

Last edited:
I wonder if those struggling with the dark theme have their contrast and/or brightness set too high, making light text fatiguing.

At least mine.

Are you kidding? This forum is by far the easiest on my eyes. The bright white backgrounds are retina scorchers. BTW, I'm 40, not 18 and my eyes suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back